• Show
Clear All

• hubble telescope

do you think NASA should rescue hubble telescope
    yes
    71.43%
    no
    28.57%

If they can afford it yes. I'd rather go back to the moon though.

-dale

Comment

we will go to the moon sooner or later. i wonder if the X-33 can go to the moon. a space shuttle?

Comment

Originally posted by raptor1992
        we will go to the moon sooner or later. i wonder if the X-33 can go to the moon. a space shuttle?
        The shuttle can't go out of LEO - it's a space truck that has long outlived its usefulness.

-dale

Comment

Indeed. Time to relearn the lessons of the apollo command modules for human conveyance and with all the experience of orbit docking send the bulk of the equipment up sans humans.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

very valid point. heat tiles of the space shuttle orbiter are getting less and less reliable.

Comment

Going to The Moon

Lockeheed/Martin had to scrap the X-33. However, rumor is they learned some lessons and the technology has caught-up enough for a varriant of the X-33 could be developed. My main contention is that going to the Moon is a good thing, but the end game of reaching Mars is just a waste of money. Developing the Moon to it's fullest potential should have been right after the Kennedy campaign.
              ~ Hk40 ~
              ~ Gary Mikami ~
              Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

Rescue

When the original talks (under Dan Golden) were underway at NASA - My response then was an emphatic no. I thought then (and for the most part still believe) that allowing a 'project' to continue on it's 'life-cycle' is the best approach. Because the funding was budgeted along that line (life-cycle). However, we've seen over the years that with many unmanned space probes that the probes out-last or survive longer than planned or dreamed of. Look at the Pioneer, Voyagers, Galileo all had surpassed their budget and projected life-cycles requiring (on request) and receiving life-extensions. So, in that vein as long as the monies are available, why not.
                ~ Gary Mikami ~
                Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

actually they're cancelling some of the repairing projects due to columbia disaster

Comment

taking politics aside the race to mars and moon has little value from scientific or practical points.

Hubble had unparralleled contribution to scientific development in understanding universe.

However I mean not saving the current/old Hubble but launchign a newer design which will be much more capable!

Comment

Why Repair Hubble

Lest not forgett that the James Web Space Telescope (JWST) has been designed budgeted, and built as the replacement to Hubble. So a better question is why? The optics and all other equipment is a major upgrade beyond the scope of anything Hubble.
                      ~ Hk40 ~
                      ~ Gary Mikami ~
                      Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

Working...
                      X