X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hezbollah rockets strike Israel

United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon
    UNIFIL Press Statement on rocket fire, 29 December 2013

This morning at around 7:35am UNIFIL radars detected firing of at least two rockets from the general area of El Khiam in southern Lebanon towards Israel. The IDF informed UNIFIL that two rockets fired from Lebanon had impacted in the vicinity of Kiryat Shimona in northern Israel. The IDF returned artillery fire directed at the location from where the rockets had originated.

UNIFIL Force Commander Major-General Paolo Serra was immediately in contact with counterparts in the LAF and IDF commands and has urged the parties to exercise maximum restraint in order to prevent any escalation of the situation. Major-General Paolo Serra said: “This is a very serious incident in violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701 and is clearly directed at undermining stability in the area. UNIFIL’s first imperative is to ensure that there is no further escalation of the situation and I have been assured by the parties of their full cooperation with UNIFIL in this effort and of their continued commitment to the cessation of hostilities.”

He added: “Our troops on the ground are working with the Lebanese Armed Forces to reinforce security and locate the rocket launching site. UNIFIL has intensified its patrols across our area of operations to prevent any further incidents.”
    “It is of paramount importance to identify and apprehend the perpetrators of this attack and we will spare no efforts to this end working in cooperation with the Lebanese Armed Forces.”
    Source: UNIFIL

Hezbollah may be trying to deflect attention from this assassination
    sigpic

He talks a big talk, that general, but nothing's gonna happen, and everyone knows it.....
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

If both sides approach him with this level of trust, sure.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Yeah, because actually placing our trust in the UN and international peacekeepers has worked SO well for us before....
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Like you ever put trust in UN. Besides the creation of the State of Israel.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            Like you ever put trust in UN. Besides the creation of the State of Israel.
            May 1967 - UNEF retreats from the Sinai following Egyptian demands. Egyptian troops then flood the Sinai, leading to the Six Day War

1982 and 2006 - UNIFIL is entirely hopeless in keeping the peace in Lebanon, including standing by doing nothing when three IDF soldiers are kidnapped on Israeli soil, leading to the outbreak of the 2006 Lebanon War

1983 - Multinational Force withdraws from Lebanon following Iran-backed attacks

2005 - EU Border Assistance Mission. Following the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, EU forces are stationed on the Egyptian border to prevent weapons smuggling into Gaza. In 2006, the EU forces withdraw as Hamas begins their takeover of Gaza, leading to increased weapons shipments entering Gaza and eventually being used against Israel.

2006 - Following the 2006 Lebanon War and Resolution 1701, UNIFIL is upgraded with European troops and weapons, in order to prevent Hezbollah operations south of the Litani River and to prevent weapons smuggling/rearmament. Hezbollah is now at a stronger level than they were before their setbacks in 2006.

2013 - United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) is founded following the 1973 Yom Kippur War, to maintain the cease fire between Israel and Syria. In 2013, it retreats from Syria. Subsequently, cross-border attacks begin leaking into Israel, starting from "stray" mortars and eventually leading up to intentional attacks on IDF forces within Israeli borders.

There are more cases from around the world where UN peacekeepers have been found to eventually be useless, but I figured I'd focus just on the ones in Israel.

So yes, we have placed our trust in the UN many times, and have been burned each and every time. So you'll forgive me if I have a certain amount of skepticism regarding UN peacekeepers, yes?

Comment

is this a pro israel forum ... ? anyone care to tell me ..

Comment

It's a pro-research forum. Meaning you've got to have facts, not shits for brains, for posting your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  It's a pro-research forum. Meaning you've got to have facts, not shits for brains, for posting your opinions.
                  Putting your trust in the U.N is a fact?

All your facts were left in your mothers rear end.

Comment

I have absolutely no trust in the UN. I was UNPROFOR. We got fucked by the UN left, right, and centre. I can verse chapter after chapter about UN failure.

I have not posted a single fact other than you have shits for brains. I challenged your assertions to which you have absolutely NO facts to back them up.

You came into my house, not me into yours. When you start throwing bullshit in my house, be prepared to get it back.

Comment

I have absolutely no trust in the UN. I was UNPROFOR. We got fucked by the UN left, right, and centre. I can verse chapter after chapter about UN failure.

I have not posted a single fact other than you have shits for brains. I challenged your assertions to which you have absolutely NO facts to back them up.

You came into my house, not me into yours. When you start throwing bullshit in my house, be prepared to get it back.
                      tell me the assertions : I don't deal in meds.

Comment

Look at your Peak Strength posts. They're filled with amateur assertions left, right, and centre. WWII German army better than the USArmy today. What a freaking joke.

Comment

Look at your Peak Strength posts. They're filled with amateur assertions left, right, and centre. WWII German army better than the USArmy today. What a freaking joke.
                          ha ha ... idiota!

Comment

You ain't staying long. So, be my guest for proving you're stupid. You'll be gone by tomorrow.

Comment

You ain't staying long. So, be my guest for proving you're stupid. You'll be gone by tomorrow.
                              machts nichts.

Comment

Working...
                              X