Bigfella Breaks a World Record at the Cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigfella Breaks a World Record at the Cricket

On Boxing Day this year I am proud to say that I broke a world record. it isn't every day a bloke can make such a claim, but it is in the record books now. I did have a little help, but I feel that I did my part.

The crowd of 91,092 that turned out to see the first day of the England-Australia test match at the MCG was a world record for a single day of Test Cricket. The previous largest crowd was 90,400ish, also on the MCG at day 2 of the 1961 Australia-West Indies test. Crowds for MCG tests usually halve every day of the match, but this year was remarkable. Almost 80,000 turned up for day 2. Another 60,000 made it for day 3 and 40,000 made it to day 4 to see Australia win the match. All the more remarkable because the Test Series has already been decided - Australia was 3-0 up going into the game.

I am pleased to say I made it to 3 of the 4 days. Had a ball!

We were treated to a test match that ebbed & flowed. Unlike the other matches in the series this was a real contest. A fine bowling performance from England on day 2 gave them a lead. At tea on day 3 they seemed set to make a score that Australia would struggle to get, but the loss of 5 wickets for 6 runs gave Australia a total of 231 for victory. On a pitch where 255 was the highest innings tally that looked tough. It should have been, but England's bowling and fielding was insipid & Australia's batting forceful. We won in a canter, 2 wickets down.

On to Sydney for a series clean sweep!

p.s. you can see the previous world record on the big screen if you look carefully.

Attached Files
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

You've only made 3 out of 4 days because you woke up
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Savage!

It was riveting stuff start to finish. Got to watch about 17 hours at the ground, another 4 on TV & listened to the remaining 3 on the radio (not counting lunch & tea breaks - another hour per day). LOVE cricket season!:)
      sigpic

Comment

What a joy it is to watch the world return to normality i.e. with the English Cricket Team rent asunder and the Aussie Cricket Team once again magnanimous in victory! :)
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          Savage!
          C'est moi, oui.

It was riveting stuff start to finish. Got to watch about 17 hours at the ground, another 4 on TV & listened to the remaining 3 on the radio (not counting lunch & tea breaks - another hour per day). LOVE cricket season!:)
          All I am saying I would have been there 4 out of 4

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            All I am saying I would have been there 4 out of 4
            Hmmmmm. Why do I doubt you?

Well, you have a standing invitation to kip on my sofa-bed any time you want to attend a Boxing day test. You might even get lucky & hit one that lasts the full 5 days.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry, any single sporting game that lasts for over a day is just too much effort for me..... I won't even watch a baseball doubleheader, and I like baseball!
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

All the more remarkable because the Test Series has already been decided - Australia was 3-0 up going into the game.
                Australians are sadistic

Comment

I usually just catch the day's replays when i get home from work.
                  Watching Johnson steaming in and making england hop was delightful.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I bought 50 crickets the other day and went Bream fishing. Don't think thats a record though.

Then we did this
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like your day, at least, wasn't a total waste, Gunny.

Can't say the same for 91,092 other people.

Comment

Hmmmmm. Why do I doubt you?
                        Hey, we all make mistakes.

Well, you have a standing invitation to kip on my sofa-bed any time you want to attend a Boxing day test. You might even get lucky & hit one that lasts the full 5 days.
                        I am delighted and thankful for the invitation (I feel that somehow I am being trapped here, just saying) But, note, that if you are noisy... I will snore in protest. Very loud.

Comment

To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                            Australians are sadistic
                            I don't recall you blokes easing off when it was 3-0 earlier this year. Revenge is a great motivator.:)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                              What a joy it is to watch the world return to normality i.e. with the English Cricket Team rent asunder and the Aussie Cricket Team once again magnanimous in victory! :)
                              when the poms win they get to meet the queen and get gongs to hang around their necks.
                              when we win they get kneecapped by the press (same as when they lose)
                              Linkeden:
                              http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                              http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X