X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-22 under fire

Attack on U.S. Aircraft Foils Evacuation in South Sudan

Michael R. Gordon --- December 21, 2013 --- New York Times

WASHINGTON — United States aircraft flying into a heavily contested region of South Sudan to evacuate American citizens were attacked on Saturday and forced to turn back without completing the mission, American officials said. Four service members were wounded, one seriously.

South Sudanese officials said the attack had been carried out by rebel forces.

The aborted mission to Bor, the capital of Jonglei State, was the first American military incursion into rebel-held territory in the country. Previous evacuation flights had been organized in Juba, the capital.

President Obama said on Thursday that he had sent 45 American service members to South Sudan to “support the security of U.S. personnel and our embassy.”

The Obama administration has not said how many Americans are trapped in Bor, whether they are in imminent danger or what options Mr. Obama is considering to evacuate them.

Some 14,000 civilians are reported to have sought refuge at a United Nations base in Bor. It is surrounded by 2,000 armed youths, spurring fears that the base may be overrun and the lives of aid workers threatened.

Armed youths seized a United Nations base in another town, Akobo, last week, killing at least 13 people, including two United Nations peacekeepers.

On Saturday, the American military sent three CV-22 Ospreys — tilt-rotor aircraft that can fly like an airplane and land like a helicopter — to Bor to evacuate American citizens from the United Nations compound. As the aircraft approached the town, “they were fired on by small-arms fire by unknown forces,” the military said in a statement. All three aircraft were damaged.

The mission was aborted and the Ospreys flew about 500 miles to Entebbe, Uganda. The service member who was seriously wounded was taken to Nairobi, Kenya, where he was said to be in surgery on Saturday evening. Three others had minor injuries, American officials said.

As attacks have racked South Sudan, there has been mounting concern about the safety of 35,000 civilians who have sought sanctuary at United Nations peacekeeping bases in the country.

“The situation in Bor is very dire,” said Catherine Howard, the deputy head of the United Nations’ humanitarian affairs office. “Humanitarians are unable to operate safely. People have been uprooted. There is looting.”

Mr. Obama met with his top security officials on Saturday morning in Hawaii, where he is on vacation with his family. The White House said he was briefed on the status of the wounded troops, and on the safety of American citizens in Bor and embassy personnel in Juba.

The White House said that Mr. Obama “reaffirmed the importance” of working with the United Nations to secure American citizens in Bor, and that South Sudan’s leaders had “a responsibility to support our efforts to secure American personnel and citizens in Juba and Bor.”

On Friday night, Secretary of State John Kerry said that the United States’ main focus was on seeking a diplomatic solution to the crisis.

“Now is the time for South Sudan’s leaders to rein in armed groups under their control, immediately cease attacks on civilians and end the chain of retributive violence between different ethnic and political groups,” Mr. Kerry said in a statement. “The violence must stop, the dialogue must intensify.”

To encourage such efforts, Donald E. Booth, the United States’ special envoy to Sudan and South Sudan, left for the region on Friday.

A Pentagon official said that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel was reviewing additional options presented by Gen. David M. Rodriguez, the head of the United States Africa Command, to support the humanitarian mission in South Sudan. He did not provide details.

Bor is in an especially violent region that is no longer controlled by government forces, according to Col. Philip Aguer, a spokesman for the South Sudan military.

President Salva Kiir, a member of the Dinka ethnic group, has attributed the violence to an attempted coup by former Vice President Riek Machar, who is a member of the rival Nuer ethnic group.

The United States and some European nations have organized flights to evacuate their citizens from the capital.

But thousands of civilians remain at risk, as do United Nations peacekeepers. In the attack in Akobo, 2,000 Nuer youths took over the base, killing Dinka civilians and two Indian peacekeepers who tried to protect the civilians.

The United Nations peacekeeping force includes about 6,800 soldiers and 700 police officers.

Analysts and aid officials warned that the fighting could represent the beginning of a very dangerous ethnic conflict in South Sudan, which was born after one of the late 20th century’s bloodiest wars.

“Day by day we are moving closer to a civil war,” said Casie Copeland, an analyst at the International Crisis Group, a research and advocacy institution. “We are seeing reports of horrific ethnic violence.”

Conditions inside the United Nations base in Bor are deteriorating, Ms. Copeland said, and the South Sudanese civilians and foreign aid workers taking shelter there are in grave danger.

“We have the U.N. in very tenuous positions, protecting large number of civilians with a very small number of troops,” she said.

Troops from neighboring Uganda and Kenya have started to arrive in South Sudan, ostensibly to help protect civilians and restore order. But in a region where civil wars easily become regional conflicts, analysts expressed worry that the addition of foreign troops to the mix, particularly if they take sides, could make things worse.

Isma’il Kushkush contributed reporting from Khartoum, Sudan.

IMC is reporting they had a clinical health worker killed along with 20 civvies and 2 UN peace keepers in the town of Akobo:(

Comment

I am a little surprised that V-22s sent to evacuate people from a potentially hostile area didn't have enough armor to stop small arms fire. I assumed there would at least be some Kevlar along the bottom and sides of the occupied areas.

Would there be a significant weight/volume penalty to putting Kevlar or similar around the crew compartment and critical components? Perhaps not enough to stop 30mm fire but enough to withstand .50 caliber and smaller?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
        I am a little surprised that V-22s sent to evacuate people from a potentially hostile area didn't have enough armor to stop small arms fire. I assumed there would at least be some Kevlar along the bottom and sides of the occupied areas.

Would there be a significant weight/volume penalty to putting Kevlar or similar around the crew compartment and critical components? Perhaps not enough to stop 30mm fire but enough to withstand .50 caliber and smaller?
        Anything that has to take off vertically puts a premium on weight. Especially given the extra weight it has to devote to both the sheer size of the aircraft, the tilt mechanism and the has-to-be-uber-complex mechanism that will let one motor spin both props.

Comment

That makes sense, I guess I think of the V-22s tasked with evacuations as being fitted with a similar kit to what the MH-53 Pave Lows sported. Seems like it might be worth giving up some of the 20,000 odd pounds it can normally carry to fit at least some basic armor. I would imagine that small arms will be a somewhat common threat when conducting evacuations.

Comment

See that little M in MH-53? That means it is special operations capable and is fitted for combat. CH-53s are not outfitted the same. As I understand it they were CV-22s not MH-22s.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              See that little M in MH-53? That means it is special operations capable and is fitted for combat. CH-53s are not outfitted the same. As I understand it they were CV-22s not MH-22s.
              Ahh, that would explain it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                I don't pretend to understand the apparent breakdown in the designations for the V-22's variants, but the CV-22 is the USAF's replacement for the MH-53 and specifically intended for use with USSOCOM. The MV-22 is the USMC's basic transport version. To me, it seems that these designations should have been switched so that the USAF has the MV-22 and the USMC has the CV-22, but that's not how things worked out.

Comment

Working...
                X