This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molf48
    AIM-9X? Maybe.. But if you want to fire a missile you must see the tail of the opponent.. R-73 I'm sorry to dissapoint you my American friends but is really better than any AIM-9.. You said that.. I do not say that Lockheed dont make excellent planes my friends like SR-71 etc. but also the Russian makes also excellent planes. Now I dont believe that in close future will see air fights using only BVR.. This is very far and if you see the theory of this came in Vietnam with F-4 and AIM-7 but soon the US underestand that the BVR was far and install a machine gun to F-4..

Who cares if the R-73 is better than the Sidewinder? that's not his point. His point is that it doesn't matter how maneuverable the Flanker is (slowing to 200 miles per hour lol), it's still going to get waxed by a missile capable of pulling 50G's. Comprende?

And also, you forget the Raptor has AN INTERNAL GUN for close in combat (and the Raptor will out maneuver the Flanker in this situation too). Sheesh

The Flanker should only really be compared to the F-15C, F-14D, and F/A-18E/F in my opinion.

Comment

The 1.44 supposedly flew once. But Sukhoi didnt invite anyone from the military or press. So... none, probably. Its also a staggeringly horrible looking aircraft.

*reminds me of the Valkerie (sp?>)

Comment

"F-22 does not really take advantage of the most useful benefits of thrust vectoring,, i.e. it does not increase it's flight envelope, but rather gives it a much larger pitch rate. So while it can get to it's limiting alpha faster, it cannot pull greater alpha without losing control than without it's thrust vectoring."

It is my understanding that the F-22 has no practical alpha limit.

Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Unipidity
          The 1.44 supposedly flew once. But Sukhoi didnt invite anyone from the military or press. So... none, probably. Its also a staggeringly horrible looking aircraft.

*reminds me of the Valkerie (sp?>)
          The MigMAPO 1.44 is not a sukhoi, its a Mig and it has never flown publicly.

Comment

It flew at least once, but only for about 15 minutes. There is a video here:

http://www.milavia.net/users/fighter...ideo_clips.php

The 6th one down, the first part of the clip is an SU-33, the second part is the MiG 1.44.
            Last edited by highsea; 16 Jul 05,, 04:58.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

*whoops, I meant MiG. Has Sukhoi ever done any work on a 5th gen plane before the PAK FA? Assuming Berkut doesnt count, since that didnt look exceptionally stealthy.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                It flew at least once, but only for about 15 minutes. There is a video here:

http://www.milavia.net/users/fighter...ideo_clips.php

The 6th one down, the first part of the clip is an SU-33, the second part is the MiG 1.44.

Who cares! Not to judge a book by it's cover, but there is no way that cheap stealth EF-2000 WANNABE looking fighter wil ever compare to the Raptor. Just looking at the Raptor, you know you got a winner there.

Damn, do every country want to install canards on their fighters?

Comment

Take it easy Cowboy! Lol, just thought there might be someone here that would like to see the video. :)

Unipidity- Not really, the Berkut was Sukhoi's bid for the MFI fighter, but the program starved to death. The Pak-Fa is rumored to be a derivative of the Berkut. Hopefully we will be seeing some pictures in the not-too-distant future, at least of a mockup. I'm getting kind of tired of all the kiddie line drawings that manage to get posted to every mil forum on the Net every 3 months or so...We need something fresh to argue about.... ;)
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboykiller
                    Who cares! Not to judge a book by it's cover, but there is no way that cheap stealth EF-2000 WANNABE looking fighter wil ever compare to the Raptor. Just looking at the Raptor, you know you got a winner there.

cheap stealth EF-2000 WANNABE
                    The 1.44/1.42 has similar RCS to a Typhoon or Rafale as its design lacks pure stealth features. It can compare with the Eurocanards and Superbug but not the Raptor/JSF/PAKFA which have real stealth.

I don't know why so many planes have canards. These things reduce high speed maneuverability and increase RCS.

Comment

Take it easy Cowboy! Lol, just thought there might be someone here that would like to see the video. :)

Unipidity- Not really, the Berkut was Sukhoi's bid for the MFI fighter, but the program starved to death. The Pak-Fa is rumored to be a derivative of the Berkut. Hopefully we will be seeing some pictures in the not-too-distant future, at least of a mockup. I'm getting kind of tired of all the kiddie line drawings that manage to get posted to every mil forum on the Net every 3 months or so...We need something fresh to argue about.... ;)
                      I'm getting kind of tired of all the kiddie line drawings that manage to get posted to every mil forum on the Net every 3 months or so...We need something fresh to argue about....
                      Don't worry, highsea. We'll have plenty when these planes enter service. ;)

Comment

Taking all things into consideration (beyond the airframe) like pilot training, funding,etc "hands down laying all doubts to rest, without it even being a close match the F-22 would fly circles around the Su-37 before the Su-37 even knew it had been had".
                        ~ Hk40 ~
                        ~ Gary Mikami ~
                        Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

Hi Highsea! thank you for giving good reply on radars. Gives good follow up base to read and search about.....

can you comment about making Radar a weapon? As I undestand the problem was that beam is not focused enought to transmit power to good range... it gets dispersed. Russians tested that strong emission of a radar when focused beam reaches the target may simply distroy a lot of electronic circuits...

it was already tested to be effective on the range of up to 5km on land!!! Do you think it can it be used BVR? What do you think - how far this technology may go?

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
                            can you comment about making Radar a weapon? As I undestand the problem was that beam is not focused enought to transmit power to good range... it gets dispersed. Russians tested that strong emission of a radar when focused beam reaches the target may simply distroy a lot of electronic circuits...

it was already tested to be effective on the range of up to 5km on land!!! Do you think it can it be used BVR? What do you think - how far this technology may go?
                            Hi Garry. The focusing problem is one reason why AESA sets have such a powerful advantage. What began as just a "better" radar is really evolving into a directed energy weapon of it's own.

The first AESA sets just digitally emulated traditional radar scan patterns, beam shapes, etc. Today we are learning how to better utilize the capability to create more focused beams with high energy and very low sidelobes. So we get much tighter beams than previously, with lower energy loss, and a lesser chance of being detected by passive recievers. We are now at the point where we can soft kill opposing sensors, and as power efficiencies improve with new MMIC's, module, and antenna designs, the ability to pinpoint the energy on targets will get better and better. We may already be at the point where we can hard kill smaller receivers like missiles and possibly even fighter radars. Effective range, of course, depends on the target.

Where it goes is anyone's guess- we are still learning how to write the software ourselves, so we don't even know all the capabilities yet. By digitally controlling the power output, gain, PRF's, etc, we are creating new beam shapes and scan patterns that we have never tried before. It takes a lot of experimentation, and some very heavy-duty signal processing. Moore's law applies- it's the computing power that makes it possible. We've been developing it for two decades, and I would say it's still in it's infancy as far as the real potential. I think we will see a combined approach to DEW's in the future, the JSF has a planned 100KW solid state laser in the works that would complement the EA capabilities of the AESA nicely. Imagine the potential of a speed-of-light, combined microwave-laser attack- it's not too far in the future, maybe 10-15 years.

The F-22 and JSF are also potent ISR platforms in their own right. There is a write-up in last months C4ISR Journal about it, I think I posted it here somewhere, but here is the link if you haven't read it:

http://www.c4isrjournal.com/story.php?F=921293

It's interesting to note that 60% of the Raptor's true warfighting capabilities are considered too secret to discuss.

Comment

Hi Garry. The focusing problem is one reason why AESA sets have such a powerful advantage. What began as just a "better" radar is really evolving into a directed energy weapon of it's own.

The first AESA sets just digitally emulated traditional radar scan patterns, beam shapes, etc. Today we are learning how to better utilize the capability to create more focused beams with high energy and very low sidelobes. So we get much tighter beams than previously, with lower energy loss, and a lesser chance of being detected by passive recievers. We are now at the point where we can soft kill opposing sensors, and as power efficiencies improve with new MMIC's, module, and antenna designs, the ability to pinpoint the energy on targets will get better and better. We may already be at the point where we can hard kill smaller receivers like missiles and possibly even fighter radars. Effective range, of course, depends on the target.

Where it goes is anyone's guess- we are still learning how to write the software ourselves, so we don't even know all the capabilities yet. By digitally controlling the power output, gain, PRF's, etc, we are creating new beam shapes and scan patterns that we have never tried before. It takes a lot of experimentation, and some very heavy-duty signal processing. Moore's law applies- it's the computing power that makes it possible. We've been developing it for two decades, and I would say it's still in it's infancy as far as the real potential. I think we will see a combined approach to DEW's in the future, the JSF has a planned 100KW solid state laser in the works that would complement the EA capabilities of the AESA nicely. Imagine the potential of a speed-of-light, combined microwave-laser attack- it's not too far in the future, maybe 10-15 years.

The F-22 and JSF are also potent ISR platforms in their own right. There is a write-up in last months C4ISR Journal about it, I think I posted it here somewhere, but here is the link if you haven't read it:

http://www.c4isrjournal.com/story.php?F=921293

It's interesting to note that 60% of the Raptor's true warfighting capabilities are considered too secret to discuss.
                              According to this the Raptor may not only be an Air Superiority fighter but is a highly versatile and high performance multirole aircraft. It can do A2A, strike/deep interdiction, SEAD, reconaissance, etc. Its only main flaw is its price which is the reason for the JSF's existance. :)

Comment

Thank you Highsea.

You gave me good ground to think and search!

If both sides understand what a weapon a radar and lazer may become. If both are moving this direction then I expect this technology to come in future... It was interesting to see you estimate - 10-15 years. I guess this will change the whole concept of fighting in Air.... at least air guns as WVR weapon will finally go obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                                X