RIA Novosti dissolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIA Novosti dissolved

Lost in December's headlines about Ukraine and EuroMaidan, Vladimir Putin has dissolved RIA Novosti which was Russia's largest government-owned news agency. Under chief editor Svetlana Mironyuk, RIA Novosti had earned a reputation for professionalism and balance which obviously didn't set well with Putin. In its place will be a new news organization called Rossia Segodnya (Russia Today) which will be more tightly controlled and regulated by the Kremlin.

Leading the new Putin mouthpiece outlet will be Dmitry Kiselyov, a rabid anti-Western and anti-Ukrainian propagandist. Kiselyov has accused Western governments of organizing the current protests in Ukraine, and has said that gay people should be banned from giving blood and that their hearts should be incinerated when they die. The warped and xenophobic Kiselov is the precisely the sort of lackey-editor preferred by the increasingly authoritarian Putin.
    sigpic

How sad.

How terribly, terribly sad.

Russia.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Cant say I am surprised that Czar Putin is going this route.

Comment

Any tips on what INSTEAD we should be following to get a better take on Russian developments ?

If Ria novosti is considered professional and balanced, i found their coverage on Syria to be 180 degrees compared to western media. Like taking a cold bath. Could not see anything that Putin would disagree or be unhappy with.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          Cant say I am surprised that Czar Putin is going this route.
          RT comparatively is much batter than RIA Novosti,

my qualitative assessment is RIA was a peace of sht while RT is watchable.

I like watching Max Kaiser, and Lauren Lister on there they have good interviews periodically also provides good coverage on things we here in the west do not. I expect a foreign channel to provide better coverage on things we don't cover and vice versa. RIA was much worse propaganda peace and essentially a soft oblique useless thing.

My guess is they started stealing too much and the coverage was uninteresting so there was no 'wider public' reach at all.

I see this as one replacing the other.
          Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Any tips on what INSTEAD we should be following to get a better take on Russian developments ?
            If you understand Russian, there are few opposition-oriented medias. Haven't found one in English, yet.

If Ria novosti is considered professional and balanced, i found their coverage on Syria to be 180 degrees compared to western media. Like taking a cold bath. Could not see anything that Putin would disagree or be unhappy with.
            If you search for independent Russian media it will be a task. And a half.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Regarding the demise of RIA Novosti, Russia's respected business daily Vedomosti said: "The Kremlin acknowledged that it has lost the educated community and has neither the means nor the will to hold a dialogue about values, and therefore instead of culture began to impose ideology, and instead of information, propaganda."

Vlad was angered by Novosti's balanced coverage of the protests against him at Bolotnaya Square (The Snow Revolution) at the end of 2011 and the recent coverage of the protests in Ukraine (EuroMaidan). Dismissed Chief Editor Svetlana Myronyuk also has a good relationship with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev who is rapidly becoming persona non grata with Putin. Kiselyov is warped and xenophobic. How this translates to Rossia Segodnya remains to be seen. I imagine Putin will keep him on a short leash until the Olympic torch departs Sochi.
              Last edited by Minskaya; 21 Dec 13,, 20:22.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                If you understand Russian, there are few opposition-oriented medias. Haven't found one in English, yet.

Right so that means its just RT or Russia Today. Or think tanks (mostly western) with Russia watchers.

My mistake earlier it was RT i was referring to instead of Ria novosti. Now that i recall the black font on the green background. Putin is not going to touch RT.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Dec 13,, 23:22.

Comment

not really.

RTVI is independent non-Russia based tv here in the US on cable channel. Very critical of everything, they have Eho Moskvi[which is very critical of Putin AND HE LISTENS TO IT] with Latinina every week on the radio and other people like Topaler etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTVi
                  its still owned by Gussinsky btw.... (he founded NTV)

Also that doesn't mean they sht on Russia on every issue my feeling they support my economic aspects of Ukraine choice.

[RT is only online for me on youtube I watch Kaiser and Lister if she has guests I like or periodically they upload something good and controversial from the opposite spectrum of what is portrayed on here in the media]
                  Last edited by cyppok; 22 Dec 13,, 06:15.

Comment

The Other Russia
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cyppok View Post
                      not really.

RTVI is independent non-Russia based tv here in the US on cable channel. Very critical of everything, they have Eho Moskvi[which is very critical of Putin AND HE LISTENS TO IT] with Latinina every week on the radio and other people like Topaler etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTVi
                      its still owned by Gussinsky btw.... (he founded NTV)

Also that doesn't mean they sht on Russia on every issue my feeling they support my economic aspects of Ukraine choice.

[RT is only online for me on youtube I watch Kaiser and Lister if she has guests I like or periodically they upload something good and controversial from the opposite spectrum of what is portrayed on here in the media]
                      Can't find the English site.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                        Thank you.

At first glance they seem to be playing kind of safe. Was expecting more criticism.

Comment

RTVi

http://echo.msk.ru/

the radio station is very independent last more or less open it is in Moskow but still good criticism.

inosmi.ru is sometimes interesting its foreign publications view on Russia.

The Moscow Times | Russia's only daily English-language newspaper
                          is actually owned by a Finnish company or holding and chief editor is American I think.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moscow_Times

Comment

Kiselyov has accused Western governments of organizing the current protests in Ukraine
                            And they dont'? :confu:

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                            and has said that gay people should be banned from giving blood
                            Do you realize that it is a standard procedure in any developed country?
                            Gay male blood donor controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On topic: Putin was fed up with antirussian propaganda on state-sponsired news agency. Finally. If even Minskaya calls it "balanced"...
                            Winter is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by NUS View Post
                              On topic: Putin was fed up with honest reporting on state-sponsired news agency.
                              Fixed that for ya
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X