No announcement yet.

Last "new" Phantom delivered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Segue to a joke about MATS: according to the grunts back in the '60's, MATS stood for Might Arrive Sometime Tomorrow.

Am I showing my age here?
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      The question I have is will Tyndall keep its camo birds?
      A question I've wondered since I was there. Not long after I arrived, I was at a stoplight at one of the Highway 98 gates facing the flightline. I saw the camo F-4 take off, followed by a 4-ship of F-15s, followed by a 2-ship of F-22s. Still one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
        Hey, I still think Raquel Welch is hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          She is Sir. She is.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            A question I've wondered since I was there. Not long after I arrived, I was at a stoplight at one of the Highway 98 gates facing the flightline. I saw the camo F-4 take off, followed by a 4-ship of F-15s, followed by a 2-ship of F-22s. Still one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
            Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime event; I don't think you'll ever see an F-4 and an F22 in the same airspace again, unless it's a Heritage Flight.
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              That's because she still IS hot.

Comment

Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime event; I don't think you'll ever see an F-4 and an F22 in the same airspace again, unless it's a Heritage Flight.
                I do. On a weekly basis.

I also get to see T-38s, F-18s and the occasional F-35

Comment

Segue to a joke about MATS: according to the grunts back in the '60's, MATS stood for Might Arrive Sometime Tomorrow.

Hard to say.

If you were around THEN to actually hear the joke, then maybe. But knowing what MATS was? Not necessarily. After all, Walter Matheau's character mentioned it in the 80's movie "Hopscotch".

"80's Movie? Tamara, that is still showing your age!"

Which comes down to a second point. At what age do you start showing your age, whether you are a person or an aircraft? (there, said something on the subject)

As far as Raquel Welch goes, a while back I got on a buying spree of her flicks. I think I started at "Fantastic Voyage" and ended at "The Prince and the Pauper" (of the ones I could afford, that were out there). It is not necessarily that after 37 she was no longer an item but more that after that movie, it was more TV series and TV movies and then when it moved back into the main stream movies, she's neither the primary player nor is the movie about what made her famous. I mean, I am not going to buy a movie with Carrotop as the star.

Further, and this gets back into that age thing again. We ought to know that what we see in the movies is all make believe and while we might want Richard Burton to come on to us, we certainly don't want him to make a trophy of us locked in a coffin.......but we still want to live those fantasies as much as we can.

And living it old is no where near as fun as living it young.

So if I was an F-4 Phantom, I think I'd rather be flying around for the IDF in the Yom Kippur War than being a show display with what's new now. I want to be shown as the best thing around instead of having to play second fiddle to the new kids on the block like in "Legally Blonde".

Comment

It was a fairly regular thing down there, and will be until the F-4s are gone. That particular time was cool because it was basically 50 years of air superiority in the span of a red light. It'll never happen again, though, outside of a heritage flight; all F-15 training moved out of Tyndall several years ago.

Comment

But you get Blues as an extra ;)
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I used to see some interesting airshows here in rural Southside Virginina.

Hit Google Maps and and type in Disputanta, Virginina.

I don't know if it is still there but there used to be an airbox out in the Shenendoah into West Virginia aircraft out of the idewater used to fly to by passing over our area....often at very low altitude. It was no unusual to here a Hummer go over at about 1,000 feet and about 40 minutes later here would come F-14s, A-7s, A-6s and F/A-18s. One time I was hitting a wedge into the 3rd green at Prince George Golf Course (about a mile NW up RT 460 from the middle of Disputanta) and I swear my ball went OVER an A-6 has it screamed over the course. I mean there were pine needles and pine cones blasted all over us.

At other times it would be F-15s, F-16s and as of late the occasional F-22. Leading up to OEF & OIF I saw B1s on the same route on numerous occasions.

My home is about 9 miles due north of the golf course on the map. I sea all kinds of rotory wing airfcraft coming through back and forth to the Tidewater to FT Pickett, FT Lee, etc. Their air route is right up the James River and they break off at the Harrison Bridge and head west. I see Blackhawks, Chinooks and Stallions ALL the time as well.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

I don't know if it is still there but there used to be an airbox out in the Shenendoah into West Virginia aircraft out of the idewater used to fly to by passing over our area....often at very low altitude. It was no unusual to here a Hummer go over at about 1,000 feet and about 40 minutes later here would come F-14s, A-7s, A-6s and F/A-18s. One time I was hitting a wedge into the 3rd green at Prince George Golf Course (about a mile NW up RT 460 from the middle of Disputanta) and I swear my ball went OVER an A-6 has it screamed over the course. I mean there were pine needles and pine cones blasted all over us.

At other times it would be F-15s, F-16s and as of late the occasional F-22. Leading up to OEF & OIF I saw B1s on the same route on numerous occasions.

My home is about 9 miles due north of the golf course on the map. I sea all kinds of rotory wing airfcraft coming through back and forth to the Tidewater to FT Pickett, FT Lee, etc. Their air route is right up the James River and they break off at the Harrison Bridge and head west. I see Blackhawks, Chinooks and Stallions ALL the time as well.
                          I would LOVE to live where you live! Out here in the Central Valley all we see is an occasional F-16C out of Fresno, and they're usually pretty hard to spot; you can hear them coming (the P&W F100-220E makes a fairly distintive sound), but they're really hard to see at 25,000'+.

Comment

I doubt if any of those were at 25000 milimeters!
                            Last edited by Albany Rifles; 18 Dec 13,, 21:51.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Looks like times have changed. Marked is where we used to park. Looks like they completely took away the entrance gate from here and moved it to the east. That and move the fence to the south.

Probably makes sense. The road in took a big dip right across from where the runway starts, which was not viewable from the guard shack. In theory, someone could take pot shots at planes on final right over their head and be gone.

Ed-

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Right off the coast is a MASSIVE military air range, comprised of several Warning Areas...I think the main part of the complex is W-386 but I'm too lazy to find my aircrew aids. There are a few smaller overland ranges up and down the coast as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X