Google robot army oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google robot army oh my!

The truth finally comes out- Google plans robot army?

Google acquires robotic experts Boston Dynamics | Fox News

Officially,DARPA funded a project to create an android for disaster relief.Needless to say,it can be used as an infantryman as well,once batteries tech moves forward.Google will likely expand the use of the technology and make it connected.They're also likely to get more deeply into human-machine interaction.

We're not yet obsolete.We also have exoskeletons being developed.We'll be able to match anything the machines throw at us.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      Officially,DARPA funded a project to create an android for disaster relief.Needless to say,it can be used as an infantryman as well,once batteries tech moves forward.Google will likely expand the use of the technology and make it connected.They're also likely to get more deeply into human-machine interaction.

We're not yet obsolete.We also have exoskeletons being developed.We'll be able to match anything the machines throw at us.
      This was done before it was called skynet.:)
      Craig Johnson

Comment

Methinks someone high up at Google just wanted one of those hopping Big Dog robots for their kid and buying out the whole corporation was the easiest way to get one and keep everyone else from getting one. It is the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
          Wouldn't it be easier to hack them?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Now the barge in the middle of SF Bay makes sense . . . .
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Google, just like anyone else is high-tech looking at "the next big thing", robotic is next frontier, I guess. And, of all people, google is the one with cash to burn. Small investment, potentially handsome pay off, why not.
              “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

One would think MS or Apple have more money to burn. It's about the idea behind.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

If you are putting up the money, you can push what the next big thing is. Google has done research and development in a lot of interesting areas- google earth, maps and street view, auto navigating cars and now a LOT of acquisition of robotic firms. And they are pretty specific types of robotics- not the types that do welding in factories or carrying mail around postal facilities, but those that walk, have balance,carry things and negotiate all kinds of surfaces, replace limbs and use AI.
                  Why did Google acquire Boston Dynamics and other robot companies? | Digital Trends

I think Google forsees or wants there to be a very, very automated kind of society with many robots doing tasks ordinarily done by people- I mean everyday kinds of tasks. This is kind of neat but also presents much opportunity for control or "management". We always look at I,Robot and other movies like Gattaca as far fetched science fiction, but I think the age of intelligent autonomous robots won't creep up on us, but will suddenly occur very quickly. It's something that might outrun our ability as a society to think about it or question it before it occurs. Or am I wearing my tinfoil hat again?

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                    If you are putting up the money, you can push what the next big thing is. Google has done research and development in a lot of interesting areas- google earth, maps and street view, auto navigating cars and now a LOT of acquisition of robotic firms. And they are pretty specific types of robotics- not the types that do welding in factories or carrying mail around postal facilities, but those that walk, have balance,carry things and negotiate all kinds of surfaces, replace limbs and use AI.
                    Why did Google acquire Boston Dynamics and other robot companies? | Digital Trends

I think Google forsees or wants there to be a very, very automated kind of society with many robots doing tasks ordinarily done by people- I mean everyday kinds of tasks. This is kind of neat but also presents much opportunity for control or "management". We always look at I,Robot and other movies like Gattaca as far fetched science fiction, but I think the age of intelligent autonomous robots won't creep up on us, but will suddenly occur very quickly. It's something that might outrun our ability as a society to think about it or question it before it occurs. Or am I wearing my tinfoil hat again?
                    Hey, you may be right. The Japanese are working on a sex robot. They have already designed a VR/robot thing that will "spank your monkey" as you watch some Manga chick who movement is synced to the robot. Google VR Tenga.

Who would have ever thought that the Japanese would be the ones to do that?:whome:

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post

Remember the story about the outsourced security guy who doesn't enjoy all the perks for working in Google? Like packing food and bringing it home to the daughter. Well, they will outsource the outsourcerer (is it a word, hmm)

Now this. You got to have someone reliable and what's better then robots?

Comment

For instance: once Google's driverless auto technology matures (and it's already been approved in 3 states: California, Florida, and Nevada, although ca and fla are for testing purposes only) you could find a street legal Big Dog type robot ( Boston Dynamic has the cheetah robot that runs at 30 mph already) It carries parcels and navigates using Google's navigation systems and GPS. Using DSMAC and image data from Google's Street view it recognizes your house, pulls out of the street traffic and transitions to the sidewalk. It walks up to your gate, uses AI and a robotic arm to open it, then walks up to your door. Using biometric scanning or facial recognition it identifies you as the recipient, presents you the parcel and records the transaction. Possibly using consumer data collected about you and knowledge of businesses in the area, it offers you a selection of services or goods. Completing the transaction it updates the central data center and continues on its way. Far more realistic than Bezos' silly flying bugs. And most of the technologies are currently extant and controlled or accessible by Google now. You have a framework of laws beginning to regulate autonomous vehicles and allow road testing on public roads. I bet this stuff comes sooner than anyone expected. Not that this has been suggested yet, besides Bezos, but if you look at whats out there now and imagine a bit, I don't think it's far fetched. :matrix:

Comment

They made sure their robots wont overheat.

Google to Acquire Nest ? Investor Relations ? Google

Comment

Ants are way ahead with robot armies? Nothing new.

Comment

More advances- this time with Lockheed. I don't think Google's gonna buy them out, but there are links to Google's and other's work with self driving vehicles on the page with this article.

US military, Lockheed deem driverless convoy test a success | The Verge

Comment

Working...
                              X