Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: F-35 v F/A-18 Shornet-play ground style

Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    So the next question is if US sixth gen fighters will be exportable. I have a hunch that the US may get into a development pattern where it alternates between Air Dominance and Strike fighters, but with only the latter being offered to allies.

Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    The big problem is, Canada has lost her place in line for F-35. She is screwed if it decides it wants F-35's as she would not see a new F-35 until, what 2030?
    I may be wrong, but I don't see this a a deal breaker. There always seems to be the ability for the contractor and other buying air arms to 'swap' air-frames coming off the line when the need arises.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Boomer View Post
    I may be wrong, but I don't see this a a deal breaker. There always seems to be the ability for the contractor and other buying air arms to 'swap' air-frames coming off the line when the need arises.
    Yes but this means someone would have to be willing to delay their deliveries so that Canada could get theirs...

Quote Originally Posted by jlvfr View Post
    Yes but this means someone would have to be willing to delay their deliveries so that Canada could get theirs...
    It does. My point is you see this happen regularly with other military production lines. And you'll have Lockheed doing everything it can to make sure it happens in order to lock in an extra order of F-35s. It's not ideal, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

Hello Gentlemen, a quick google showed me nothing that indicates that Canada has withdrawn from the F-35 program. From what I can tell, there has been no formal paperwork that would indicate that Canada has lost her place in the production schedule despite the rumblings from Ottawa and elsewhere. In fact, Canada has continued to pay into the F-35 program even after all these SUPERHORNET fiasco,

Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Hello Gentlemen, a quick google showed me nothing that indicates that Canada has withdrawn from the F-35 program. From what I can tell, there has been no formal paperwork that would indicate that Canada has lost her place in the production schedule despite the rumblings from Ottawa and elsewhere. In fact, Canada has continued to pay into the F-35 program even after all these SUPERHORNET fiasco,
    I can not find a source, and I am too lazy to dig through my Combat Aircraft magazine archive to find the article, but I know at one point Canada had spots reserved in LRIP lots, and we would have likely received our first aircraft in 2017. So I would suggest that our non-commitment to the F-35 has in fact, lost us some production slots. But...

1) Like I said I do not see this as an issue, as there always seems to be flexibility in the slots and the willingness for the manufacturer and other users to 'make room'.

2) Like OOE mentioned, our continued participation in the program may well give us certain priorities in aircraft delivery should we in fact decide to shit instead of getting off the pot.

3) It's probably a good thing, as the bugs continue to be ironed out of the F-35A, earlier block jets will no doubt require updates to bring them up to the current production standard.

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Does Canada have any pilots in the training pipeline at Luke or Eglin?
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Does Canada have any pilots in the training pipeline at Luke or Eglin?
    I can confidently say no.

Finally the ridiculousness of this all is getting some traction: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opi...beandmail.com&

Boeing-Canada Super Hornet dispute goes global

http://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/...e-goes-global/

"In retaliation for Boeing’s actions, Canada put on hold its purchase of 18 Super Hornet fighter jets. That $5.23 billion acquisition, which is seen as a stopgap until a future fleet of fighter jets can be bought, was approved by the State Department on Sept. 12 but there are now doubts among Canadian government officials whether it will ever proceed."

"Canadian defense officials have privately warned that Boeing’s actions could harm its future attempts to sell Canada refueling aircraft and additional fighter jets.
    Boeing, however, says it has no intention in backing down. Company representatives argue that the Bombardier issue should not be linked to a fighter jet purchase or any other defense acquisitions."

"Canada is now examining whether to buy used F-18s from Australia. Meanwhile, Lockheed Martin says it can fill the fighter jet order with F-35s. Jack Crisler, vice president of F-35 business development, said the offer of the F-35 has been made to the Canadian government. Crisler said the delivery of those aircraft would match the proposed delivery timetable the Canadian government had planned for the Super Hornets."
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 18 Sep 17, at 17:45.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    "Canada is now examining whether to buy used F-18s from Australia.
    ... are they even flyable without spending a lot of money on them?

"Meanwhile, Lockheed Martin says it can fill the fighter jet order with F-35s. Jack Crisler, vice president of F-35 business development, said the offer of the F-35 has been made to the Canadian government. Crisler said the delivery of those aircraft would match the proposed delivery timetable the Canadian government had planned for the Super Hornets."
    Which should put to bed the issue of F-35 delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by jlvfr View Post
    ... are they even flyable without spending a lot of money on them?
    I believe the Aussie classic Hornets are younger than the Canadian inventory if not exactly spring chickens, but unlike the proposed Boeing deal for the current crop of RCAF pilots could jump right in additional classic Hornets and fly.

If there really is a need for a small stopgap purchase until a full replacement can be decided upon, picking up 2nd hand Aussie Hornets makes more sense than buying new Supers.
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 18 Sep 17, at 22:06.

I believe the Aussie classic Hornets are younger than the Canadian inventory if not exactly spring chickens, but unlike the proposed Boeing deal for the current crop of RCAF pilots could jump right in additional classic Hornets and fly.

If there really is a need for a small stopgap purchase until a full replacement can be decided upon, picking up 2nd hand Aussie Hornets makes more sense than buying new Supers.
    Some of the RAAF Hornets have been through the center barrel replacement as well. Really though, there's no need for an interim fleet at all.

Thread Information