What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite whiskeys?

What are your favorite whiskeys (sorry, got to go with the upstart colonial spelling!)? Any particular (affordable or quasi-affordable) bottles that you'd recommend?
    Scotch
    39.53%
    Irish
    20.93%
    Canadian
    9.30%
    Bourbon
    25.58%
    Other
    4.65%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I am currently a neophyte, but have made some forays into the world of whiskey. My two favorites currently are Macallan 12 (Scotch) and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (Bourbon). The finish on the Macallan is excellent and the Woodford Reserve is exceptionally smooth and has some sweetness to it.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Cardhu - just came back on the market after a 10 year absence, at least in Canada.

Highland Park 12 is very well rounded and I found it better than the Highland Park 14.

I would recommend a sample of LUGAVULEN just to have an idea what a peety scotch taste like.

Another thing, Colonel, you will yourself being a knotch above the crowd. When everyone else orders beer, ordering a scotch puts you into the sophisticated drinkers. The scotch might be piss water but the image is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
        What are your favorite whiskeys (sorry, got to go with the upstart colonial spelling!)? Any particular (affordable or quasi-affordable) bottles that you'd recommend?
        The Jack Daniel's fanatics are going to sore that your poll doesn't include Tennessee Whiskey
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Jack is bourbon, even if it wants to try and label itself different.

Comment

Some of my favorite are the Bushmills 10 y/o single malt, the Balvenie 12 y/o Doublewood, and the Auchentoshan Three Wood.

Some other good ones are the Glencadam 12 y/o Portwood finish, Glenfiddich 14 y/o Rich Oak, and the Glengoyne 17 y/o.

Of course, I'm only a beginner. Travel the whiskey regions, find something you like and go with that. Some people like them really smoky, I find it's like trying to drink a bonfire. Find the taste you like, and you'll find that there are many, many other bottles and brands with similar tastes you can explore.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Glenmorangie. There are subtle differences in their various offerings, but generally they're not worth the extra money.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                Glenmorangie. There are subtle differences in their various offerings, but generally they're not worth the extra money.
                The 18 rare is worth the extra.

Comment

I've added Glenmorangie Lasanta to the favorites list on the scotch side and Angel's Envy on the bourbon side. I find the difference between the Glenmorangie 10 and the Lasanta to be amazing - the difference that 2 years in a sherry cask makes is pretty cool. Angel's Envy has a cool name, cool bottle, and has some complex flavors. In terms of the tasting region for bourbon's, I'm finding myself enjoying the rich and spicy ones the most. One of the most interesting bourbons I've tasted to date is Noah's Mill, which is aged 15 years, so it's smooth on the palate, but at 114 proof (not sure if that's cask strength or not), the finish really turns on the afterburners!

Comment

I liked the Jameson a friend of mine got from the Duty free when he came over for our college batch reunion. Its something I could get used to.

Comment

Well ... I know you like sewage water.

Comment

I'm nowhere close to where you guys are whisky wise.

Just that one of the names doing the rounds here (Lagavulen) when I first had it I almost spat it out (just politeness and the fact that it was my friend's "special" whisky made me desist and finish the entire thing - post which I politely asked for the Jameson).

It had a seriously chemical taste, for want of a more sophisticated/knowledgeable way of describing it. Very unpleasant.

So I guess its a mater of different palates.
                        Last edited by sated buddha; 05 Apr 14,, 08:05.

Comment

Lagavulen is for those who enjoys a good cigar.

Comment

Is whisky an aquired taste or is it something you immediately like or do not like and it then stays with you?
                            Last edited by sated buddha; 05 Apr 14,, 08:18.

Comment

No real good answer. There are good scotch and bad scotch like everything else. I find the blended scotches to be too sweet for my taste but after several decades of scotch drinking, I've beginning to appreciate the blendmaster's art. You can tell difference between a Johnny Walker Black from the 1940s and a JWB from the 2000s.

My RSM back when he was a Sgt started out with JW Red, ie swamp water, much like Jameson's. But after one night with me, he was a scotch taster forever. We started out with GLENLEVIT 12 and then move on to HIGHLANDER 12, then to CARDHU 12 ... and then, I forgot but the point is you can taste the difference and appreciate the difference.

It's not a matter of a drunk but of the finish. I would not say it's an acquired taste ... but an acquired appreciation.

Comment

Working...
                              X