What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Long before I understood anything about Scotch, mainly a bourbon and tequila fan, a liquor distributor friend would give me bottles of those he represented. He gave me a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old Scotch to try. I knew nothing so I take it home and give it a try. Ugh, it was like drinking smoke and the dead embers from a fire. When he asked how it was I told him horrible. He then told me that, at that time, it was the biggest selling Scotch in the U.S. When I asked how that could be he told me this and I love to repeat it..." it is a big seller to the older crowd who have lost their taste buds and need something strong to wake them up." That wasn't me, as I was 47, yet the bottle still sits there 15 years later missing less than 1/2 shot of Scotch. Time to try again at 62..... nah my taste buds are still young.
    Peat is generally an acquired taste. The smokiness comes from how the malt is dried. In Islay, the dried peat is used as the fuel to heat the floor to dry to malted barley, and the smoke infuses itself into the grain and then imparts that flavor into the distillation.

I'd recommend the following (affordable) training path to peatdom:

Dalwhinnie 15 (light flavor and light smokiness)
    Highland Park 12 (fairly complex flavors that balances the medium smokiness)
    Bowmore 12 (moderate complexity with medium smokiness, so the peat takes on a stronger starring role)
    Laphroaig 10 (minor complexity with strong smokiness, so the peat is the star of the show)
    Adbeg 10 (light flavor with intense smokiness - lick an ashtray and compare)

I like trying peated, sherry casked offerings. Thus, while Ardbeg 10 should sit on your shelf for its shock value, I wouldn't sip it. However, Ardbeg Ugeidail is extra matured in sherry casks - the additional age tones down the peat and offers up some complexity to balance out the peat, and it is a sipping scotch IMO.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Shek View Post
      What's your budget and do your taste buds have any no-go terrain?
      Last time, we cleared $600Cdn easy but that was two years ago and we pretty well want to experience everything.
      Chimo

Comment

• You need to come to a real whisky bar: http://jackrosediningsaloon.com/.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Brother brought this back from Taiwan. It was smooth but the near 58% cask strength was quite....burning on the way down.
          Attached Files
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Scotland rules !!!

If you guys happen to visit Edinburgh, an absolute must-see is The Canny Man's Pub.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shek View Post
              The Dalwhinnie 15 has a very "pure" finish, which is almost refreshing. It's certainly at the opposite end of the Lagavulin in terms of complexity. However, the distiller's edition is extra matured in a sherry cask, so I'm curious to explore how this changes its character. As for the Lagavulin, I'm not a cigar smoker, but I still liked it very much the time I did have a dram or two. First world problems!
              For anybody who enjoys sherry casked scotches and peaty scotches, the Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition is a must have. I had a bottle gifted to me, and it's mucho bueno!

Comment

• I think I will be giving this a try next time I go home for a visit.

http://liquormens.com/

A review.

http://whiskeywrites.com/liquormens-...k-boys-review/Click image for larger version

Name:	CpHIeGOWEAE2tc1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1469415
                Last edited by Pedicabby; 04 Oct 16,, 23:53.

Comment

• I just returned from about three weeks west of the Rockies, and the jet lag is worse than usual. Staying hydrated during and particularly after an 18 hour air journey is very important to minimizing the effects of long distance travel.

Fortunately, single malt whiskys are mostly water ...
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• A house guest left a bottle as a thank-you.

Kavalan "Soloist"
                    Sherry Cask Single Malt Whisky
                    57.1% by volume
                    about £110-120 in the UK

Distilled June 12, 2009 from barrel No. 9
                    Bottled February 10, 2017 at 15:10
                    Probably too much information ... but, needless to say, he will be welcome back any time.

http://whiskyanalysis.com/index.php/...t-sherry-cask/

Ah, there's the picture ...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DOR; 03 Jul 17,, 09:06.
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

• I don't mean to change the subject, but is anybody here a gin aficionado?

The liquor store at my alma mater had a firesale once upon a time on Phillip's Distillers Reserve (94 proof). I bought up about 20 bottles and had a multi-year supply of gin. Not the best straight drinking gin, but it's just fine for gin and tonics.

I'm also partial to New Amsterdam as an inexpensive gin. Also a good mixer.

For straight drinking, I'm partial to Hendrick's. The kind that comes in the black apothecary-style bottle. Predominantly flavored with cucumber peel and rose petals as opposed to much stronger notes of juniper found in many other gins, I find it goes down quite smooth and has a pleasant aftertaste.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        I don't mean to change the subject, but is anybody here a gin aficionado?

The liquor store at my alma mater had a firesale once upon a time on Phillip's Distillers Reserve (94 proof). I bought up about 20 bottles and had a multi-year supply of gin. Not the best straight drinking gin, but it's just fine for gin and tonics.

For straight drinking, I'm partial to Hendrick's. The kind that comes in the black apothecary-style bottle. Predominantly flavored with cucumber peel and rose petals as opposed to much stronger notes of juniper found in many other gins, I find it goes down quite smooth and has a pleasant aftertaste.
                        Go start your own thread, heathen.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by dor View Post
                            go start your own thread, heathen.

hahahahaahahahaha
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                              I don't mean to change the subject, but is anybody here a gin aficionado?

Are you familiar with the Angry Staff Officer? He is a gin aficionado. https://angrystaffofficer.com
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Are you familiar with the Angry Staff Officer? He is a gin aficionado. https://angrystaffofficer.com
                                Now I'm confused. Does that mean there are Happy Staff Officers somewhere?

(good reading on there. Thanks for the link)

Comment

Working...
                                X