What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Obviously, you chose your spouse wisely!!!
    If I had been thinking strategically, I would have developed a pre-nup that required a whiskey at each anniversary in equal age to the anniversary. While my young liver (and stomach) would have suffered through some rot gut in the early years, I'd be soaking in fine libations from here to kingdom come.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Surveyor View Post
      Uh, I believe that would be the unicorn, tankie sir.
      Correct

Comment

• Not much of whiskey drinking practice, but got a favourite
        https://www.malts.com/en-gb/our-whis...-12-years-old/
        We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• Originally posted by Shek View Post
          If I had been thinking strategically, I would have developed a pre-nup that required a whiskey at each anniversary in equal age to the anniversary. While my young liver (and stomach) would have suffered through some rot gut in the early years, I'd be soaking in fine libations from here to kingdom come.
          Advancing age has its advantages!
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-...d-worlds-best/

Comment

• My RSM and I are getting together for a scotch tasting (Got the ok from the doc and hotel rooms are booked)

Any recommendations from the menu?

http://www.thehighlanderpub.com/scotch_listings.php

We've already done the Balvanie 30 yr old.
              Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 18 Jan 16,, 05:36.
              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                My RSM and I are getting together for a scotch tasting (Got the ok from the doc and hotel rooms are booked)

Wait a second....

Kavalan Port Finish (Taiwan) - RR

Scotch from Taiwan?
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• No, it's not scotch. It's a single malt whisky. Scotch is officially (at least according the WTO) the name reserved for Scotland originated single malt whiskys.
                  Chimo

Comment

No, it's not scotch. It's a single malt whisky. Scotch is officially (at least according the WTO) the name reserved for Scotland originated single malt whiskys.
                    Oh, I thought everything on that list is a "scotch."

I cannot recommend what to try because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I visited a shop in Edinburgh and saw a list on the board quite like the one on that website. There were literally 120 different scotches on that board and I only recognize a handful of names (the Glens). I just asked the proprietor what he would recommend for someone who doesn't like the smoky taste and likes a smooth spirit. He recommended something called "Cadenhead" which I don't see on that list.

Some people like that smoky taste. Not me. I recently found Jameson to be free of that taste. It was good....

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I visited a shop in Edinburgh and saw a list on the board quite like the one on that website. There were literally 120 different scotches on that board and I only recognize a handful of names (the Glens). I just asked the proprietor what he would recommend for someone who doesn't like the smoky taste and likes a smooth spirit. He recommended something called "Cadenhead" which I don't see on that list.

Some people like that smoky taste. Not me. I recently found Jameson to be free of that taste. It was good....
                      Yeah, good scotch. The Peaty and Smoky scotch are listed as PS on the site. We always do one just to remind ourselves the difference between the various arts.

Japan has won more than a few awards beating out Scotland in the last few years.
                      Chimo

Comment

Yeah, good scotch. The Peaty and Smoky scotch are listed as PS on the site. We always do one just to remind ourselves the difference between the various arts.

Japan has won more than a few awards beating out Scotland in the last few years.
                        Oooh, I need to try some Japanese whisky.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post

Long before I understood anything about Scotch, mainly a bourbon and tequila fan, a liquor distributor friend would give me bottles of those he represented. He gave me a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old Scotch to try. I knew nothing so I take it home and give it a try. Ugh, it was like drinking smoke and the dead embers from a fire. When he asked how it was I told him horrible. He then told me that, at that time, it was the biggest selling Scotch in the U.S. When I asked how that could be he told me this and I love to repeat it..." it is a big seller to the older crowd who have lost their taste buds and need something strong to wake them up." That wasn't me, as I was 47, yet the bottle still sits there 15 years later missing less than 1/2 shot of Scotch. Time to try again at 62..... nah my taste buds are still young.

Comment

• The Smoky Peaty scotch got a fan base but I would seriously not consider it an older crowd but more a regional crowd since the Islay scotches are the more peatier scotches coming from swamp based waters. That being said, for Scotch tasters, we can taste the difference between lagavule 16 and dalvini 12 and appreciate the difference. I would smoke a lagavulen with a cuban but the dalvini is a straight after dinner drink with no cigar.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Long before I understood anything about Scotch, mainly a bourbon and tequila fan, a liquor distributor friend would give me bottles of those he represented. He gave me a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old Scotch to try. I knew nothing so I take it home and give it a try. Ugh, it was like drinking smoke and the dead embers from a fire. When he asked how it was I told him horrible. He then told me that, at that time, it was the biggest selling Scotch in the U.S. When I asked how that could be he told me this and I love to repeat it..." it is a big seller to the older crowd who have lost their taste buds and need something strong to wake them up." That wasn't me, as I was 47, yet the bottle still sits there 15 years later missing less than 1/2 shot of Scotch. Time to try again at 62..... nah my taste buds are still young.
                              Yes I too felt the same thing from the Laphroaig 10 year old, it was just too rough plus smoky at the same time.
                              I much prefer the Caol Ila 12 year old, light and smoky at the same time.
                              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

My RSM and I are getting together for a scotch tasting (Got the ok from the doc and hotel rooms are booked)

What's your budget and do your taste buds have any no-go terrain?
                                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                                X