What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shek View Post
    Anybody out there had the Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition? Trying to decide between that and Lagavulin 16 for my upcoming birthday. I'm a sucker for sherry matured scotches, but I'm also trying to cultivate my peaty taste, and the complexity of the Lagavulin 16 is intriguing.

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai...16-46399548927

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...75775273,d.ZGU

Mortgage time guys .

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Colonel, I found the Dalwhinnie to have a watery finish. The after taste is almost too smoothe to be remembered. The Lauglulin 16 you will remember but it hits you and very smokey. I find it to be a very good scotch with a cigar but I don't know if I want it as a after dinner drink without the cigar.
      The Dalwhinnie 15 has a very "pure" finish, which is almost refreshing. It's certainly at the opposite end of the Lagavulin in terms of complexity. However, the distiller's edition is extra matured in a sherry cask, so I'm curious to explore how this changes its character. As for the Lagavulin, I'm not a cigar smoker, but I still liked it very much the time I did have a dram or two. First world problems!
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• By the grace of the duty free gods I find myself in possession of a rather nice bottle of Balvenie triple cask 12 year old.
        Lovely very slightly sweet taste with a nice warm feeling at the end.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• You'all need to try

The Belgian Owl

Brilliant smooth taste, with a high spirited after taste

And one of my favorite's, 2011 Runner Up in Whiskey..One of the finest Indian Single Malt - Amrut Fusion, and its less famous brother Amrut Peated

Attached Files

Comment

• Trying very hard to get Sullivans Cove (American and French Cask), also I have heard the Japanese makes the best single malts!

Comment

• Has anyone tried a Glenfarclas recently? I used to love their aged drops in my younger days.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Defcon5 View Post
                You'all need to try

The Belgian Owl

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38044[/ATTACH]

Brilliant smooth taste, with a high spirited after taste

And one of my favorite's, 2011 Runner Up in Whiskey..One of the finest Indian Single Malt - Amrut Fusion, and its less famous brother Amrut Peated

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38045[/ATTACH]
                Being from Bangalore, Amrut fusion is my old standby. But its becoming harder to get it nowadays.
                They seem to be targeting the export market more.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• My Current Collection....Might get a Yamazaki by next week
                  Last edited by Defcon5; 24 Sep 14,, 19:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by Defcon5 View Post
                    My Current Collection....Might get a Yamazaki by next week
                    Yamazaki 12 is a winner in my book!
                    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Yamazaki 12 is a winner in my book!
                      I am eagerly waiting for it, I expect my bro in law to get me a good one :)
                      You should try the Belgian Owl, It is a surprisingly different take at whiskey, the texture and color reminds you of wine, the after taste is a bit vodakish( highl alcohol feel)

One of the best whiskey's according to me, is Amrut Fusion as well as Dalmore 12 Cigar Collection, Sweet and lively, the after taste is out of the world.

Comment

• Silly question....do all these scotches use bourbon barrels for aging?
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• I just got the Glennfiddich Vintage Cask Collection, its some good work there. Burnt Sugar , peaty and has a smoky after taste! Brilliant! at $130

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Silly question....do all these scotches use bourbon barrels for aging?
                            Yup, they use all kinds of barrels, usually bourbon, sherry even port. The selection also changes according to the wood types used on them. It all depends on what kind of taste's the master blender's want to achieve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              Silly question....do all these scotches use bourbon barrels for aging?
                              To be a scotch, it must be aged for at least 3 years in oak barrels. As defcon5 pointed out, the prior use of the oak barrels is not restricted to bourbon. In fact, we shall introduce you to the Macallan 12 next month, which is aged in former sherry casks.

Comment

To be a scotch, it must be aged for at least 3 years in oak barrels. As defcon5 pointed out, the prior use of the oak barrels is not restricted to bourbon. In fact, we shall introduce you to the Macallan 12 next month, which is aged in former sherry casks.
                                Now, Macallan..That is one good drink.
                                I should have been more clear...Different types of Wood ... I mean oaks of different types French, American, Spanish etc

Comment

Working...
                                X