No announcement yet.

What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started when working part time at a Victoria Wine outlet many years ago.
    Upto then I was a strict beer and ale only person.
    I never liked the standard whisky types my friends usually drank but someone convinced me to try Glenmorangie Original.
    I was amazed. Since then I have tried Glenlivet 12 and 18, Cardhu 12 (a little smoky but nice) and Dalmore.
    I am going to try Talisker and Lagavulin when I have the funds to spare.

In India its an extraordinarily expensive hobby to have. Your basic 12 year old Glenfiddich will set you back 9.5K (3 to 4 times the price in the west)

When short of funds I tide myself over with Amrut Fusion
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
      I've added Glenmorangie Lasanta to the favorites list on the scotch side and Angel's Envy on the bourbon side. I find the difference between the Glenmorangie 10 and the Lasanta to be amazing - the difference that 2 years in a sherry cask makes is pretty cool. Angel's Envy has a cool name, cool bottle, and has some complex flavors. In terms of the tasting region for bourbon's, I'm finding myself enjoying the rich and spicy ones the most. One of the most interesting bourbons I've tasted to date is Noah's Mill, which is aged 15 years, so it's smooth on the palate, but at 114 proof (not sure if that's cask strength or not), the finish really turns on the afterburners!
      I'd never heard of Angel's Envy until my brother-in-law gave me a bottle, promising me something unique. Man, was he right! Unfortunately, most of my friends are strict Scotch drinkers, won't even try a bourbon just because it's a bourbon. Their loss, if you ask me....
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
        Is whisky an aquired taste or is it something you immediately like or do not like and it then stays with you?
        I think one's palate will change over time. I'd recommend reading the tasting notes for the nose, palate, and finish before you taste. It gives me an appreciation for the complexity of the whisk(e)y. I enjoy a little bit of peat in my scotch (e.g., Dalwhinnie, Highland Park), but Laiphroaig and it's companions in the real peaty range are a bit too much on the liquid campfire side of things. I'll taste them and appreciate the difference, but I don't fully enjoy them. We'll see how my taste evolves over time. That being said, I think it's an absolute necessity to have a Laiphroaig or Lagavulin or Ardbeg as part of a tasting so that you can experience the full range of flavors.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I think one's palate will change over time. I'd recommend reading the tasting notes for the nose, palate, and finish before you taste. It gives me an appreciation for the complexity of the whisk(e)y. I enjoy a little bit of peat in my scotch (e.g., Dalwhinnie, Highland Park), but Laiphroaig and it's companions in the real peaty range are a bit too much on the liquid campfire side of things. I'll taste them and appreciate the difference, but I don't fully enjoy them. We'll see how my taste evolves over time. That being said, I think it's an absolute necessity to have a Laiphroaig or Lagavulin or Ardbeg as part of a tasting so that you can experience the full range of flavors.
          Embarrassing to admit in such august and experienced company as you and the Colonel, but I recall when I was in college there was this girl I knew who came from a pretty hoity toity family - who would get a ton of special invites to these high brow whisky tasting soirees in 5/7 star hotels organised by Johnnie Walker or some such. That time I used to dose off with the rambling narrative of the experts who would take us through each whisky and try to educate us on the specialties and subtleties and differences. All I was waiting for was to quaff my taster and then the one my girlfriend passed on to me. And repeat. Many many times. Hic I remember how she would insist I shave and wear a tie and blazer (and polish my shoes) to these do das. And then we would get on to my ratty motorbike and wheelie out of the parking lot in a cloud of pungent (peaty? ) blue smoke in front of some very scandalized uncles and aunties getting into their chauffer driven fancy cars. LOL Good days man ..... zero money, no taste, lots of fun.

P.S. These are exactly the sort of guys I am now terrified of my girls getting attracted to .....
          Last edited by sated buddha; 05 Apr 14,, 12:53.

Comment

I am not yet even an informed consumer, but rather, a motivated consumer. I think another reason that I enjoy a taste before bedtime is that while I enjoy a nice craft beer, I am now a middle aged man, which means that the bottle of beer will wake me up in the middle of the night. I can derive the same satisfaction from a fine whisk(e)y without the obligatory trip to the bathroom that interrupts my sleep.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I can derive the same satisfaction from a fine whisk(e)y without the obligatory trip to the bathroom that interrupts my sleep.
              Diapers, Colonel. Diapers. Don't laugh. Those long line ups waiting to use the urinal? They're a thing of the past for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                Diapers, Colonel. Diapers. Don't laugh. Those long line ups waiting to use the urinal? They're a thing of the past for me.
                But Col, his urge to pee still wakes him. I would guess diapers come later.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I tasted Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye last night. The palate was smooth and tasted like banana nut bread. True to form for a 100% rye, the finish had some bite to it. It was quite a surprise for a 2 year old whiskey in terms of the smooth palate.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
                    I liked the Jameson a friend of mine got from the Duty free when he came over for our college batch reunion. Its something I could get used to.
                    Jamesons and Bushmills are a great double act. You can drink them at anytime and not feel over indulgent. Cardhu and Glenmorangie I find weak tasting...mind you I do have the palate of an old hippopotamus these days.

Comment

There's always a bottle of Glenfiddich 12yo on my liquor cabinet, that would have to be my standard drink. The 15yo and the American Oak are fantastic for the money as well although I don't expect the missus to allow me to buy any replacement bottles with the bubs about to pop.

I usually am not a fan of the blends although I have a bottle of Dimple 15 and Johnny Walker Platinum Label that have fallen on my lap that i'm drinking slowly as again replacements will be hard to come by and i'm really enjoying them.

My friend left 1/3 of a bottle of Ardbeg and as delicious as it is I can only have it in VERY small doses as it knocks my socks off with its peatiness, I usually find it going down as my third or fourth dram in a drinking session as i struggle with the flavour as my first.
                      The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Shek,

I love the line "...motivated consumer..."!

I like the Catoctin Rye as well.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

I honestly don't know squat about whiskey and scotch. That being said, I do enjoy Evan Williams Honey Reserve with a few ice cubes.

Comment

For those who haven't tried it, try adding a small amount of well-filtered water (or unrealistically, spring water...) in small increments to your favorite whiskey. It appears to be entirely personal preference and different to each person/whiskey but sometimes you will find that a bit of water will open up certain notes. Just a little experiment to try :P

Comment

That's how I was taught to do a proper tasting. First you drink a bit regularly, and then you add some mineral or spring water (just a dash), as it brings out the secondary tastes and aromas.
                              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

ace, ross, problem is where in bustling concrete jungle metropolis is one to fin filtered well/spring water?

Comment

Working...
                                X