What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned something new today. :)

I have to be careful not to learn too many things too fast. Otherwise the new knowledge will squeeze out some old things I already know.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk you could have done a simple search like this ,, the proof is in the labelling , if it is 12 years old it would state 12 years old ,,,not AGED 12 years
      https://us.thebalvenie.com/our-range...-aged-12-years

Is Balvenie just confused then, because they use the two terms as exactly interchangeable?

Glenmorangie seems to have no issues using the two terms as exactly interchangeable - notice the Lasanta label, which states "Aged 12 Years" and is created using the Glenmorangie Original that is "10 Years Old" and aged for another two years in a sherry oak cask: https://glenmorangie.com/en/glenmorangie-lasanta

Laphroaig seems to be confused as well since they use the two terms as exactly interchangeable - look at the narrative and the bottle label:

http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/10yo.aspx

It appears as if the major scotch whisky distilleries treat age statements interchangeably, that is, there is no different meaning.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Shek; 18 Oct 14,, 00:37.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Yes sir Col , that's hyperbole selling , there is a difference as the links show how the liquor is chemically aged , confusing is exactly right . Im afraid that Laphroaig is not ten years old , it has been treated chemically to artificially age it to what it would taste like if ten years old , at least thats what I believe as the links prove it . Even store bought whisky , rotgut by any other name , carries labels saying aged 12 years and the piss was made a month earlier.

One reason I prefer blended , I know that the likes of bells whisky is a blend of 4 single malts but the label on some bells bottles state 8 years old , not aged 8 years . The half bottle in the link states 8 years old as does the xmas special edition .Ah well , bottoms up , cheers , :tankie:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...WhNH3uuZMnSXAg
        Last edited by tankie; 18 Oct 14,, 10:44.

Comment

• If only I had known bout this dodgy marketing.

I bought the above at duty free for a buddy a couple weeks ago on my way home as a present. Well I guess I will know better next time. Cheers for the education.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pedicabby; 18 Oct 14,, 10:58.

Comment

• Glad to help , I hate being conned myself , but there will still be others who will not believe it , and put it this way ,your friend wont know will he , and its the thought that counts ,, haha , if you buy a bottle today which says aged 12 years ,,well keep it for 12 years ,, then its 12 years old :tankie: .
            Last edited by tankie; 18 Oct 14,, 11:10.

Comment

• Tankie,

You provided links that stated that the chemical reactions that make for smoother and tastier whiskeys are known and that a SINGLE company is using brute force science rather than pure aging (although it doesn't claim an age statement).

You have failed to provide any proof as to the conspiracy of your claimed widespread fraud that has multiple distilleries across the industry violating labeling laws which explicitly state that any age statement must reflect the youngest whiskey that is in the bottle. This is a law that finds its origins nearly 200 hundred years ago.

When did this widespread fraud begin (5 years ago? 10 years ago? 100 years ago?)? Who organized it? How have multiple private players in an industry that employs ~40K people kept it secret all these years? Is the government part of this conspiracy as well? How many different administrations across time have agreed to be complicit in this fraud?
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                I bought the above at duty free for a buddy a couple weeks ago on my way home as a present. Well I guess I will know better next time. Cheers for the education.
                Pedicabby,

You should notice that the most prominent (at least here in the States, although it is a UK company) online site describes it as a 12 year old whisky, so either they are part of the labeling fraud conspiracy or else are completely duped by the very synonymous language of 12 years old and aged 12 years. I would have used the Dewars link, but the site is down. However, the text in the Google cache also uses "12 years old" in their description of their whisky that's labeled "aged 12 years." I suppose that they could be part of the conspiracy as well . . . but I think you should probably sleep soundly knowing that your bottle of whisky had its most junior whisky sleep for 12 Roman calendar years in a cask.

Dewars 12 Year Old Whisky - Master of Malt

Comment

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk you could have done a simple search like this ,, the proof is in the labelling , if it is 12 years old it would state 12 years old ,,,not AGED 12 years

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...GNcR0Fivwci9hA

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...jb5tYoTE2eVKJA

heres some that state 12 years old , not aged 12 years

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...C-PPlEz6h0xB4w

Loads of links mate , when spending my hard earned I want to know what im getting , enjoy :tankie:
                  Col , link number one proves my statement that whiskies are and can be chemically aged , and i stand by what i say , aged 12 years is not 12 years old .

Comment

Col , link number one proves my statement that whiskies are and can be chemically aged , and i stand by what i say , aged 12 years is not 12 years old .
                    Tankie,
                    Your link actually states the opposite in terms of aging. It provides an example of a single bourbon maker that is "bucking tradition" and aging the whiskey in days rather than years. In fact, the particular distiller is being over the top transparent to separate himself from the traditional distillers to create buzz and differentiate his product. Sorry, I don't buy your conspiracy theory that requires industry wide collusion and government ineptitude of the greatest order in a failure to fail to enforce labeling law.

Comment

• Ok then , we will have to disagree ,its not a conspiracy at all , its just a loophole selling point being exploited , theres no law been broken , as I understand it , aged 12 years is not 12 years old , there loads of other links to google if people wish to , but I personally will not buy a labelled bottle stating aged 8/10/12/ ,,,,,,,,,, 8/10/12 years old or 12 years of age , yes

Slainte Mhaith

:tankie:
                      Last edited by tankie; 20 Oct 14,, 10:09.

Comment

Ok then , we will have to disagree ,its not a conspiracy at all , its just a loophole selling point being exploited , theres no law been broken , as I understand it , aged 12 years is not 12 years old , there loads of other links to google if people wish to , but I personally will not buy a labelled bottle stating aged 8/10/12/ ,,,,,,,,,, 8/10/12 years old yes

Slainte Mhaith

:tankie:
                        There's nothing to disagree about.

The links you provide indicate that whiskey can in fact be artificially aged. I made this clarification in my initial post. I have no doubt that whiskeys can in fact be artificially aged. HOWEVER, scotch whiskey is regulated by both the 2009 Scotch Whiskey Regulation (A statutory instrument passed by the British Parliament) AND by European Law as a geographical indication.

When a SCOTCH whiskey reflects a numerical age on a label, it must, BY LAW, contain a vintage of that age or older. If you have a bottle of 10 yr blended scotch, it may contain vintages that are 10, 12, 14 or even 30 years old. However, it cannot contain anything less than 10 years. The term "aged" is an acceptable substitute for "years old" as far as SWR2009 is concerned but it must actually have matured that many years. It is a measurement of time and nothing else.

See the 2009 Scotch Whiskey Regulation and EC Regulation 110/2008 for reference.

So, either you claim that both of these regulations are complete rubbish and that some scotch distilleries are getting around it or that all scotch distilleries are finding loopholes, as one would expect that if one distillery was using a loophole, the rest would be incentivized to either follow suit or call the perpetrator out. But we haven't seen Macallan calling anyone one for fraud so I'd expect that isn't the case.

Despite this thread being relatively casual and laid back, claiming a conspiracy backed by a handful of links that don't actually back the original point (scotch whiskey is legally regulated age wise) is disrespectful to the art that is being performed by distillers in Scotland. Even if this discussion was about the merits of Yamazaki 12, there have been NO indications that this is artificially aged and considering it competes (quite successfully) against Scotch whiskeys, I have no reason to doubt its authenticity.

Comment

• And now we have NAS = no age statement , this is a very interesting read

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...x9IcPDPXckkAmQ

Comment

• The only thing you have to worry about is is it a good drink?
                            Chimo

Comment

• I once tried The Singleton of Dufftown 15 Year Old Single Malt Scotch.

Seems long ago now but I recall testing this in a hotel on Tayside... ah I miss the Highlands!. Still the best I have ever tasted but very rare. Definitely worth a try if you see it though I am more a wine type myself and don't generally drink spirits.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by snapper; 19 Oct 14,, 17:55.

Comment

• Link dont work snapps ?

Comment

Working...
                                X