This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Which goes to my point. KJI knew when to back off. KJU ratched it up even more when we knew he had duds. BTW, the first NK nuke happened under Bush II.
    I think KJU is trying to win an internal war with the old guard and persuading the new guard to back him up.

Comment

No, KJU chosed sides.

North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un Executed His 'Worse Than a Dog' Uncle - ABC News

This is the first strike in a Civil War. KJI's old cronies now have two choices. Run ... or start bringing out their guns.

Comment

North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle Jang Song Thaek, calls him 'worse than a dog' | CTV News

Fight or flight.

Comment

Col, it could be a case of fight, flight or retire, which might make a world of difference. The men around the older Kim were probably already obsequious sycophants. I am also intrigued by the involvement of the aunt and the older brother.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
            Col, it could be a case of fight, flight or retire, which might make a world of difference. The men around the older Kim were probably already obsequious sycophants.
            I'm thinking more of the case of those Colonels and Majors who have their fortunes/futures tied to these men being executed.

Originally posted by citanon View Post
            I am also intrigued by the involvement of the aunt and the older brother.
            It reads like a Hong Kong Yuan Dynasty soap opera.
            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 13 Dec 13,, 00:45.

Comment

http://www.nknews.org/2013/12/analys...rge/]ANALYSIS: Jang Song Thaek’s very public purge | NK News – North Korea News[/url]
              I'm thinking more of the case of those Colonels and Majors who have their fortunes/futures tied to these men being executed.

It reads like a Hong Kong Yuan Dynasty soap opera.
              I'm starting to wonder how many of those dramas kju has watched.

Another set of viewpoints with some interesting observations:

http://www.nknews.org/2013/12/analys...-public-purge/

http://www.nknews.org/2013/12/family...k-purge-nksis/
              Last edited by citanon; 13 Dec 13,, 01:45.

Comment

Nice and simple, no lawyers needed.
                Attached Files
                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Lord Almighty

From Kim Jong-un's brother led arrest of Jang Sung-taek: source

Our sister paper Want Daily also reported that Jang had been planning to groom Kim Jong-nam, Kim Jong-un's eldest brother, as a replacement for the young leader. Observers now believe Kim Jong-nam may become the next target of the purge.
                  Civil War is an understatement

Comment

Lord Almighty

I am surprised that KJU has retained the support of his older middle brother, KJC who was passed over by KJI in favor of the youngest son. KJC could have seized power with the help of the uncle. The uncle's wife turned against the uncle. Why?

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    Or they could be bribed to look the other way when those generals are being purged to make way for the new guard.

Comment

Lord Almighty

He'd have calculated this before executing the uncle. He hopes that one example is enough to get the others to retire without any more shots fired. A controlled demolition.

No military coup. No civil war. KJU consolidates and retains power. If he can pull this off he gets his people's respect and the world knows NK's new leader has arrived. KJU can then make a state visit to China.

In comparison, democracies are more lethal, if the incumbent loses the election, the whole administration is out, there is no setting examples or executions, they are all gone in one go.

KJN was never in the running from what i recall. Lives in China in exile.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Dec 13,, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        He'd have calculated this before executing the uncle. He hopes that one example is enough to get the others to retire without any more shots fired. A controlled demolition.
                        He shot two ex-girlfriends. I don't think he calculated anything. He did it because he could.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        No military coup. No civil war. KJU consolidates and retains power. If he can pull this off he gets his people's respect and the world knows NK's new leader has arrived. KJU can then make a state visit to China.

KJN was never in the running from what i recall. Lives in China in exile.
                        Meaning the Chinese must have been involved. The 39th Group Army, within 2 days of the arrest, is on a warfooting ... meaning that they already had warning orders. KJU would be a fool to visit China.

Comment

He shot two ex-girlfriends. I don't think he calculated anything. He did it because he could.

Meaning the Chinese must have been involved. The 39th Group Army, within 2 days of the arrest, is on a warfooting ... meaning that they already had warning orders. KJU would be a fool to visit China.
                          Despite your dire warnings, I find it difficult to believe that a civil war is possible. I believe NK has seen similar crises in the past, and has gotten through successfully. Power politics are nothing new in Pyeongyang, so I doubt that it really will lead to something as dramatic and bloody. Perhaps a few more assassinations, disappearances, saber-rattling at SK and the US, and nothing more.
                          일편단심

Comment

Full text of KCNA announcement on execution of Jang

I thought this an entertaining read.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKorean View Post
                              Despite your dire warnings, I find it difficult to believe that a civil war is possible. I believe NK has seen similar crises in the past, and has gotten through successfully. Power politics are nothing new in Pyeongyang, so I doubt that it really will lead to something as dramatic and bloody. Perhaps a few more assassinations, disappearances, saber-rattling at SK and the US, and nothing more.
                              The dramatics are new. Publicity about uncles and ex-girlfriends being shot. These are not the signs of a man in control. If it were, those people would simply have just disappeared. Instead, we get these very public announcements. He's trying to scare the populace ... and there are men in the north who will refused to be scared and KJU knows it.

Comment

i don't think we have enough information yet to make these assumptions about KJU.

IE, we don't know if KJU was forced to do this by factional politics. Jang was pro-economic development and more China friendly; that meant he had enemies among the hardliners, particularly in the military. (for this reason alone, i have my doubts that china was involved.)

or, it could simply be KJU being an arrogant, blundering young dictator, doing a bit of very badly orchestrated house cleaning.

if i had to make a theory, i'd guess the first. IIRC Jang was under house arrest for some time before they finally gave him the noodle. if KJU was trying to show who was boss, it's generally a bad idea to piss off the guy's supporters, wait a week, and THEN enrage them through an execution.
                                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X