Japan, U.S. at Odds Over China's Air Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
    I'm less familiar with the other services, but the fact that the majority of Naval Aviation is still Chinese 2nd Generation aircraft with only a handful of 3rd generation (4th Air Division under ESF being the main one, SSF has some J-11s as well) is pretty indicative of this as well. Reporting keeps recycling the same units while others remain far beyond the limelight.
    they've also been caught out a few times doing the old kruschev mayday parade trick - racetracking and revolving new platforms in public displays to look as though they have "lots" of them
    Linkeden:
    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
    http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
      I'm less familiar with the other services, but the fact that the majority of Naval Aviation is still Chinese 2nd Generation aircraft with only a handful of 3rd generation (4th Air Division under ESF being the main one, SSF has some J-11s as well) is pretty indicative of this as well. Reporting keeps recycling the same units while others remain far beyond the limelight.
      clearly you are an amateur; no, they don't. We have a good record of every one of the PLAN-AF birds and their home airfields (we even have their pilot names).
      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
        they've also been caught out a few times doing the old kruschev mayday parade trick - racetracking and revolving new platforms in public displays to look as though they have "lots" of them
        GF, I recall Sid claimed the same regarding PLAN's DDGs and FFGs while back and I put him back to his place (not hard to do).

What they are doing was a classic hand-me-down whenever a newline regiment (they replace/upgrade a regt at a time) comes online. Generally speaking, elite units get new birds then they transfer their old birds to second line units. J-8 units generally upgrade to SUs, J-7s get J-10s and Q-5 units becoming Jh-7 etc. Like anyone else, new unit has to gone through a transitional period before the transfer is complete. History of the PLANAF/PLAAF shows no units have ever got their old birds back.

we have their production rate, pilot training cycles, it is hard to fool us :-)
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Originally posted by xinhui View Post
          GF, I recall Sid claimed the same regarding PLAN's DDGs and FFGs while back and I put him back to his place (not hard to do).

What they are doing was a classic hand-me-down whenever a newline regiment (they replace/upgrade a regt at a time) comes online. Generally speaking, elite units get new birds then they transfer their old birds to second line units. J-8 units generally upgrade to SUs, J-7s get J-10s and Q-5 units becoming Jh-7 etc. Like anyone else, new unit has to gone through a transitional period before the transfer is complete. History of the PLANAF/PLAAF shows no units have ever got their old birds back.

we have their production rate, pilot training cycles, it is hard to fool us :-)
          Andy, I seem to recall a couple of duplicate shots of the 2208 running around - the sovs used to clone pennants on their subs which was a habit also picked up by the PLAN. Unsure if they clone pennants on aircraft though. I do recall seeing some footage of PLAAF assets that were existing frames doing the loop - ie instead of a contiguous roll out of airframes they were continuous....
          Linkeden:
          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            You mean all summed up in one spot?

That would be nice, but I have some doubts such thing exists.
            Yes, check the following link. Dr Andrew Erickson of the US naval college is the go-to person on this matter. His reports are very good and have a great deal of influence among policy makers (he is a member of the CFR). Keep in mind, those are professional academic papers, not an easy lazy sunday afternoon read.

Chinese Aircraft Carrier Update | Andrew S. Erickson

Comment

• Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
              Andy, I seem to recall a couple of duplicate shots of the 2208 running around - the sovs used to clone pennants on their subs which was a habit also picked up by the PLAN. Unsure if they clone pennants on aircraft though. I do recall seeing some footage of PLAAF assets that were existing frames doing the loop - ie instead of a contiguous roll out of airframes they were continuous....
              Ahhhh I see what you are getting at. In the case of 2208, It is the only type022 with a pennant number, rest of the 67 boats don't display it. If anything, the PLAN would like people to underestimate the number of Type022 in service. We figured out their service number of matching number of patrol sqd in service against SAT images.

PLAN subs never display their pennant numbers either, they only do so during open house to VIPs
              Last edited by xinhui; 23 Dec 13,, 05:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                I don't know if it is just modesty or some personal revenge on Andy

Following your posts (not only here) you seem perfectly capable to answer YF.
                Thanks GF for the "recommendation" I will see what I can do

Comment

Yes, check the following link. Dr Andrew Erickson of the US naval college is the go-to person on this matter. His reports are very good and have a great deal of influence among policy makers (he is a member of the CFR). Keep in mind, those are professional academic papers, not an easy lazy sunday afternoon read.

Thank you!

Comment

Yes, thank you.

I imagine they will find out launching planes is an art in itself

Comment

• You bet they will, accidents happen.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                      X