Lt Gen Raheel Sharif chosen as new army chief : Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt Gen Raheel Sharif chosen as new army chief : Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: After weeks of intense speculation in the media, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has finally made the selection of two senior army officers as Chief of Army Staff and Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Committee.

Career infantry officer Lt Gen Raheel Sharif has been appointed as the new COAS, while Lt Gen Rashad Mahmood has been appointed the CJCSC.

According to a notification issued by the ministry of defence, Lt Gen Raheel Sharif and Lt Gen Rashad Mahmood have been promoted to the rank of four-star general with effect from Thursday, Nov 28.

Both generals would take up their new posts from Friday, the day the current Army chief Kayani retires.

Lt Gen Raheel is currently serving as Inspector General Training and Evaluation whereas Lt Gen Mahmood is serving as Chief of General Staff.

Raheel Sharif holds the Hilal-i-Imtiaz military award, and is the younger brother of late Major Shabbir Sharif, who received the Nishan-i-Haider for his bravery in the 1971 war.

Both senior military officials met Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif earlier today where the premier conveyed them the decision. The two meetings were viewed as immensely significant as they came a day before General Kayani’s retirement from his post of army chief.

The prime minister had sent to the president, who is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, a summary to promote the two generals and approve their appointments. The summary was approved, following which the notification was issued by the defence ministry.

Raheel’s selection as army chief selection implies that frontrunner and the senior most military officer Lt Gen Haroon Aslam, currently serving as Chief of Logistic Staff, was ignored for the elevation.

The post of army chief is arguably the most powerful in Pakistan and anxiety prevailed on who will replace the taciturn, chain-smoking General Kayani, who will step down on Friday after six years at the helm.

General Kayani’s retirement from the post comes after rules were relaxed to grant him an extension in July 2010 by the PPP-led coalition government in what then prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said was in the interest of continuity at a time when the war on terror was successfully continuing against elements who wanted to impose a system of their choice on the country.

Lt Gen Raheel Sharif chosen as new army chief - DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: Lieutenant General Raheel Sharif was appointed as the new Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) and Lieutenant General Rashad Mehmood was appointed as the new Chairman of Joint Chief of Staff Committee (CJCSC) on Wednesday, Express Newsreported.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif met Raheel and Rashad at separate meetings earlier today. Both meetings lasted for about half an hour.

Raheel was working as the Principal Staff Officer (PSO) to General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani as well as the Inspector General Training and Evaluation (IGT&E).

Rashad was working as the PSO to Kayani as well as the Chief of General Staff (CGS).

Kayani will be stepping down on November 29 after six years. He had proposed the names of Rashad as his successor and Lieutenant General Haroon Aslam as CJCSC.

Service history

Lieutenant General Raheel Sharif

• Commander, Gujranwala XXX Corps (as three-star/Lt General)

• Commandant of Pakistan Military Academy, Kakul (as two-star/Maj General)

• General Officer Commanding, Lahore (as two-star/Maj General)

Lieutenant General Rashad Mehmood

• Commander, Lahore IV Corps (as three-star/Lt General)

• DG-CTW at the ISI (where he essentially re-established the pivotal Counterrorism, or ‘C’ Branch, of Aabpara)

• Military Secretary to Nawaz Sharif-era president, Rafiq Tarar (as one-star/Brigadier)

• UN Brigade Commander (as one-star/Brigadier)
    Last edited by notorious_eagle; 27 Nov 13,, 12:41.

Lt Gen Raheel appointed as new COAS, Lt Gen Rashad as CJCSC

ISLAMABAD: On the recommendation of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Lt Gen. Raheel Sharif has been appointed as Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff (COAS) while Lt Gen Rashad Mahmood as Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC).

President Mamnoon Hussain endorsed the PM’s recommendations both Lt Generals will be promoted to General rank on November 28.

Earlier on Wednesday, PM Nawaz held meetings separately with the two Lieutenant Generals.

According to sources, matters relating to the security of the country and professional affairs were also discussed in the meetings.

PROFILES

Lieutenant General Raheel Sharif

Lt General Raheel Sharif was born in Quetta on 16 June, 1956 to Major and Mrs Muhammad Sharif. He is the younger brother of Major Shabir Sharif Hilal-i-Imtiaz, SJ and Captain Mumtaz Sharif, Sbt.

Lt General Sharif is an alumnus of Government College Lahore and Pakistan Military Academy from where he passed out with 54th PMA Long Course. He was commissioned in October 1976 in the battle hardened and renowned 6th Battalion, The Frontier Force Regiment in which his brother embraced martyrdom.

As a young officer, he performed his duties in Gilgit in an Infantry Brigade and also served as Adjutant of Pakistan Military Academy. He did Company Commander’s Course from Germany and subsequently served in the prestigious School of Infantry and Tactics as an instructor. He attended the Command and Staff College Canada graduating with distinction.

Lt General Sharif carriers with him a vast experience of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments. He served as the Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade and has commanded two infantry units i.e. 6 Frontier Force Regiment at Kashmir along the Line of Control (LoC) and 26 Frontier Force Regiment along the Sialkot Border. He remained on the faculty of the Command and Staff College, Quetta and attended Armed Forces War Course at National Defence University, Islamabad in 1998.

As a Brigadier, he has commanded two Infantry Brigades, including an Independent Infantry Brigade Group. The Lt. General has had the honour of being the Chief of Staff of two Corps, i.e. 30 Corps and 12 Corps. He is also a graduate of the prestigious Royal College of Defence Studies, United Kingdom.

Lt General Sharif has been the General Officer Commanding of an Infantry Division and the Commandant of prestigious Pakistan Military Academy. As a Lt General he served as Corps Commander 30 Corps for two years before taking over as Inspector General Training and Evaluation in which capacity he oversaw the training of Pakistan Army.

Lt General Sharif is married and has two sons and a daughter. He is an avid reader and enjoys hunting and swimming. He has been conferred with Hilal-i-Imtiaz.

Lieutenant General Rashad Mehmood

Lieutenant General Rashad Mahmood was commissioned in May 1975 in Baloch Regiment. He has attended Company Commander Course from France and is a graduate of Commmad & Staff College, Canada and National Defence College, Islamabad.

The General Officer has varied experience of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments. His major appointments include Platoon Commander, Pakistan Military Academy, Brigade Major Infantry Brigade, Instructor at Command & Staff College and National Defence College. He has remained Chief of Staff Bahawalpur Corps and Military Secretary to the President Rafiq Tarar.

The General Officer has commanded two Infantry Battalions, two Infantry Brigades and United Nations contingent at Congo, Infantry Division at Jhelum, Director General at Inter Services Intelligence Directorate, Islamabad and Commander Lahore Corps. After commanding the Corps, he took over as Chief of General Staff in January, 2013. The General Officer has been conferred with Hilal-i-Imtiaz.

Editorial Note
    Profiles of Lt Generals Raheel Sharif and Rashad Mehmood were obtained from ISPR.

Lt Gen Raheel appointed as new COAS, Lt Gen Rashad as CJCSC - thenews.com.pk

Comment

Some reports indicate that Gen Raheel Sharif has had significant influence in bringing about changes to infantry training/doctrine related to COIN operations. While far from perfect, the PA has witnessed a significant reduction in casualties in the last few years, compared to 2007 through 2010. Hopefully that trend will continue, and Sharif can leverage his position to cement acquisition of MRAP's and increased deployment of air assets for CAS in the tribal areas and Balochistan.
      Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
      https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Originally posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
        Some reports indicate that Gen Raheel Sharif has had significant influence in bringing about changes to infantry training/doctrine related to COIN operations. While far from perfect, the PA has witnessed a significant reduction in casualties in the last few years, compared to 2007 through 2010. Hopefully that trend will continue, and Sharif can leverage his position to cement acquisition of MRAP's and increased deployment of air assets for CAS in the tribal areas and Balochistan.
        That happens when you dont fight the enemy as well as use aerial bombardment

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon5 View Post
          That happens when you dont fight the enemy as well as use aerial bombardment
          What happens?
          Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah

Comment

What happens?
            I guess lowering the casualties...

@NE,
            The 1st post is kind of misleading on the start and I didn't put the effort to finish it

ISLAMABAD: After weeks of intense speculation in the media, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has finally made the selection of two senior army officers as Chief of Army Staff and Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Committee.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

... Raheel Sharif considers the militant threat inside Pakistan as important as the strategic tussle with India, a retired senior army officer who Sharif has served under told Reuters.

"Sharif has played a big role in convincing the army that the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and assorted militants inside Pakistan are as big a threat (as India)," the officer said.

The TTP, or Pakistani Taliban, is a group of Islamist militants based in the country's lawless Pashtun tribal areas along the border with Afghanistan.

Sharif, 57, received his military commission in 1976 and studied military leadership in Germany, Canada and Britain. He commanded several infantry units, including the Sixth Frontier Force Regiment along the disputed Line Of Control in Kashmir.

Perhaps his most important contribution has been his role in the reshaping the country's strategic policy.

In 2007, the military undertook an ambitious program of re-thinking its strategic doctrine, following the appointment of Kayani as army chief.

The new approach was seen as a move away from a focus on the rivalry with India to a more nuanced policy which considered the internal threat from militants equally as pressing.

Sharif was one of the architects of the new doctrine, army insiders say.
              http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/....html?hp&_r=1&
              Last edited by Agnostic Muslim; 27 Nov 13,, 16:36.

Comment

Wah! Blah! Blah! And more blah!

And more ...

What does Martial Stock mean anyway? A super form of life, from Mars that Pakistanis are blessed with.

I am LMAO!!!
                Attached Files
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

What does Martial Stock mean anyway? A super form of life, from Mars that Pakistanis are blessed with.
                  It refers to his family's 'military lineage' - Father was a major, brother was a martyr and recipient of the highest Pakistani military award etc.

That said, ISPR needs to put someone with a better command over contemporary English in charge of drafting press releases.

Comment

It refers to his family's 'military lineage' - Father was a major, brother was a martyr and recipient of the highest Pakistani military award etc.

That said, ISPR needs to put someone with a better command over contemporary English in charge of drafting press releases.
                    Contemporary English you say? LMAO!!!

You do know the outcome of the military wars Pakistan has fought since it's independence? Been tragic.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Contemporary English you say? LMAO!!!

You do know the outcome of the military wars Pakistan has fought since it's independence? Been tragic.
                      Guys, cool with personal attacks.
                      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                        Guys, cool with personal attacks.
                        My bad, Sir. That was not my intention.

I was merely pointing out the lies and the fabricated truth which is being fed to ordinary Pakistanis for decades. One reason why Pakistan lack a seat in the round-table of responsible nations. And AM justified it with poor English skills.

Comment

That is correct, the Army had to completely retrain itself in regards to COIN Doctrine. Lt Gen Sharif was one of the architects in designing the curriculum for COIN operations. He is also one of the architects of the new doctrine PA is implementing to became a fully network centric force capable of operating with PAF in tandem, establishing the concept of 'Joint Warfare'. This has been perfectly demonstrated by PA during these recent war games where all the assets of PA and PAF were synched together through a Joint C&C, C4I system is fully functional now.

I would have personally liked to see either Lt Gen Tariq Khan or Lt Gen Haroon Aslam as COAS and Admiral Sandhila as the CJCSC, but thats my personal opinion. But as i said before, all five of the short listed candidates are exceptional officers and i have no qualms with any of them making it to 4 star.

Comment

Originally posted by notorious_eagle View Post
                            This has been perfectly demonstrated by PA during these recent war games where all the assets of PA and PAF were synched together through a Joint C&C, C4I system is fully functional now.
                            Yeah, my civies believed that propaganda too.

Comment

I was merely pointing out the lies and the fabricated truth which is being fed to ordinary Pakistanis for decades. One reason why Pakistan lack a seat in the round-table of responsible nations. And AM justified it with poor English skills.
                              A comparison of the two press releases issued by the ISPR, providing the 'bio-data' for Generals Rashad Mahmood and Raheel Sharif, validates my interpretation of the phrase 'martial stock':

BIO DATA

LIEUTENANT GENERAL RASHAD MAHMOOD

Lieutenant General Rashad Mahmood, HI (M) was commissioned in May 1975 in Baloch Regiment. He has attended Company Commander Course from France and is a graduate of Command & Staff College Canada, National Defence College, Islamabad. The General Officer has varied experience of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments. His major appointments include Platoon Commander, Pakistan Military Academy, Brigade Major Infantry Brigade, Instructor at Command & Staff College and National Defence College. He has remained Chief of Staff Bahawalpur Corps and Military Secretary to the President. The General Officer has commanded two Infantry Battalions, two Infantry Brigades and United Nations contingent at Congo, Infantry Division at Jhelum, Director General at Inter Service Intelligence Directorate, Islamabad and Commander Lahore Corps. After commanding the Corps, he took over as Chief of General Staff in January 2013. The General Officer has been conferred with Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military).
                              BIO DATA

Lieutenant General Raheel Sharif, Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military) hails from a martial stock. He was born in Quetta on 16 June 1956 to Major and Mrs Muhammad Sharif. He is younger brother of Major Shabir Sharif, NH, SJ and Capt Mumtaz Sharif, Sbt. He is an alumnus of Govt College Lahore, and Pakistan Military Academy from where he passed out with 54th PMA Long Course. He was commissioned in Oct 1976 in the battle hardened and renowned 6th Battalion The Frontier Force Regiment in which his elder brother had embraced Shahadat.

As a Young Officer, he performed his duties in Gilgit in an Infantry Brigade and also served as Adjutant of Pakistan Military Academy. He did Company Commander's Course from Germany and subsequently served in the prestigious School of Infantry and Tactics as an instructor. He attended the Command and Staff College Canada, graduating with distinction.

The officer carries with him a vast experience of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments. He served as the Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade and has commanded two infantry units i.e 6 Frontier Force Regiment at Kashmir along LOC and 26 Frontier Force Regiment along the Sialkot Border. He remained on the faculty of the Command and Staff College, Quetta and attended Armed Forces War Course at National Defence University, Islamabad in 1998. As a Brigadier, he has commanded two Infantry Brigades, including an Independent Infantry Brigade Group. The General has had the honor of being the Chief of Staff of two Corps, i.e 30 Corps and 12 Corps. He is also a graduate of the prestigious Royal College of Defence Studies, United Kingdom.

He has been the General Officer Commanding of an Infantry Division and the Commandant of prestigious Pakistan Military Academy. As a Lieutenant General he served as Corps Commander 30 Corps for two years before taking over as Inspector General Training and Evaluation in which capacity he oversaw the training of Pakistan Army. His stewardship resulted in fructification of Pakistan Army's operational thought and doctrinal response to the much vaunted Cold Start doctrine of Indian Army. The general is married and has two sons and a daughter. He is an avid reader and enjoys hunting and swimming.
                              Welcome to ISPR
                              Note the complete absence of the phrase 'martial stock' from the ISPR Press Release providing the bio-data of General Rashad Mahmood. If, as you insist on claiming, the intention behind using the phrase 'Martial Stock' was to imply that 'Pakistanis or Pakistani soldiers' were a 'martial race', then the phrase would have also been used in General Rashad Mahmood's press-release, as well as in past press-releases providing biodata for military officials.
                              Last edited by Agnostic Muslim; 29 Nov 13,, 15:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X