Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2 View Post
    [B]
    You a gunnery instructor in FAOBC? Those were the only guys I know that were teaching observed fire procedures. I had an Army SFC gunnery instructor through both OBC and FACBOC, btw.
    Not when I first got there. The 0811 (13B) instructors were assigned to the 1/78th same as the Army. Then the MarDet made a pact with the Devil and we all fell under the Marine Instructor Branch at the Gunnery Dept, USAFAS.

When we didn't have a class, or a small class, the "extra instructors" helped out with the FABOC and the Advanced course. It was a requirement if Marine Officers were in the class. Or if one of the Army officers were going to Alaska. The only Army post that still had the M-101s. We having the only 101 qualified instructors.
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 12 Dec 13,, 01:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      ITS CALLED RESECTION YOU DUMBASS SIRS!!!!!

DID NONE OF YOU "GENTLEMEN" PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!??!??!

Did it go something like that, Gunny?
      Pretty close.

One last flashback. S-2 should enjoy this.

The nightmare of "aiming Circle hill".

Its not their fault. From day one Accuracy and precision are pounded into their young impressionable skulls.

Then they get to the hill. They spend 20 mins setting up the tripod. Because "It has to be precise" They will try to get the plumb bob to hang exactly over the indent that the firing pin made on the primer of the 105 shell being used as their "OS"

After the first 5 min, the young Marine SSgt would get agitated. And start dropping little hints

"Artillery is a AREA weapon Gentlemen"

"There is a reason that we have something called "Adjust fire"

A 8 digit grid denotes an accuracy of 10 meters. That means that the grid wrote on the tag is saying you are in a 10 meter circle.. SO you could move your aiming circle a small amount if you had a LOS obstruction to the EOL.

They still havn't gotten the hint. The SSgt has run out of lifer juice

"Jesus Christ Lieutenants, We are not launching the fricken Space Shuttle here"

Comment

Yeah, Gunny. We could be an anal lot. But I always had my platton trainer from OBC to blame....SFC Gamble....3 tour Viet Nam LRRP Ranger. He made us anal!

It was about week 3 of IMPC when the "area" part of area fire weapon finally sunk in on me when we were shooting 81mms.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

My rate was required to know how to use UTM's (Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system) and I know that naval gunners were required to be able to do targeting in UTM's in order support ground troops.
          I did a ton of LOB and AOU work.

Comment

Originally posted by Native View Post
            My rate was required to know how to use UTM's (Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system) and I know that naval gunners were required to be able to do targeting in UTM's in order support ground troops.
            I did a ton of LOB and AOU work.
            Yup, got to be able to talk the talk and at least drop one in the area now and then.

Comment

They spend 20 mins setting up the tripod. Because "It has to be precise" They will try to get the plumb bob to hang exactly over the indent that the firing pin made on the primer of the 105 shell being used as their 'OS'"

Crazy. You can look right down the middle of the A.C. baseplate and approx it. Once the A.C. is screwed on there's still play allowing you to slide the circle and inch or so to be dead-on. Assuming your gear isn't screwed up it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to be set up and be oriented. With a trig list you can compute the orienting angle enroute, set up and level your circle, orient the 0-3200 line roughly on your azimuth of fire using the lower non-recording motion, set off your orienting angle on the upper recording motion and sight to the EOL with your lower.

A.C. is laid. Set up your safety circle 10 meters or more away and orient using Grid Azimuth method. +/- 3 mils (at Ft. Sill) you're good to go. Zero out your circles and lay the guns.

M-2 Aiming Circle was an extraordinary instrument once understood. You could pull sight-to-crest data during the advance party occupation and have your safety-t ready for gun-chiefs on arrival. You could really easily and precisely transfer direction essentially limited only by max LOS. Resection, celestial observation, lot of fun stuff.

Sorta miss my ol' M-2 circle.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
              X