This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
    and chinese kids get turned on and off by the govt at will.

Hell I've interviewed chinese students who think Tainanmen Sq is a myth - lets not get too keen about how the governments in that region teach their kids or it could be a long night
    Oh come on. Are we comparing the "peace loving" democratic Japan to the warmongering Commie China now?
    What's next, you are going to tell me how Soviet treated her citizens justifies the Gitmo?

Wait, right, what you said makes no sense. You are just tripping.
    Last edited by cdude; 27 Nov 13,, 14:21.

Comment

By the way, the WSJ article is intentionally misleading, nothing less would I expect from WSJ though.

It's not even China's ADZ, it's ADIZ, one letter, big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon5 View Post
        Japanese Administered Island and claimed by China.
        Those islands until recently were owned by a Japanese family. Hardly any military objects there built by them.

And if Japan sent engineers there to raise whatever they think they might need there, I have missed it.

So, again, Japanese boots on the islands? Links please.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Those islands until recently were owned by a Japanese family. Hardly any military objects there built by them.

And if Japan sent engineers there to raise whatever they think they might need there, I have missed it.

One Japanese policeman and a flag is Japanese boots on the ground.A flag may be enough.
          Face saving and such may important,but not enough to start a war.But this serie of crises looks eerily familiar to anyone who knows a bit about the period before WW1.It started slow,over many years,with lots of BS like this.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I think I conveyed it wrong, I should have guessed boots over here mean military. I meant 'administration' and people who control the islands

Comment

Japan considers expanding its air zone

TOKYO —
              Japan is considering expanding its air defense identification zone in the Pacific Ocean, a report said Wednesday, as Tokyo and Beijing lock horns over Chinese claims to control airspace above the East China Sea.

The defense ministry is also mulling stationing fighter jets at bases in the area, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported, without citing sources.

The report comes after China declared de facto control over a swathe of airspace, including above Tokyo-managed islands at the center of a decades-long dispute between the world’s second- and third-largest economies.

It also come after the recent launch by Beijing of its first aircraft carrier, and as the Chinese navy pushes out into the western Pacific.

A spokesman at the defense ministry told AFP that the government is “determined to protect Japan’s territory… but… we are not in a situation that requires expansion of Japan’s ADIZ (Air Defense Identification Zone).”
              Japan’s ADIZ, which surrounds its four main islands and the southernmost Okinawan island chain, including the islets disputed with China, was established in 1969.

Japan requires flight plans when airplanes fly through the zone only if they are heading for Japanese territory.

The Ogasawara island chain has previously not been thought to be under threat from foreign encroachment, but China’s apparent power grab set off discussion among ruling party officials over its inclusion in Japan’s ADIZ zone, the Yomiuri said.
              Interesting. Meanwhile ...

China's first aircraft carrier steams towards disputed South China Sea

BEIJING: China sent its sole aircraft carrier on a training mission into the South China Sea on Tuesday amid maritime disputes with the Philippines and other neighbours and tension over its plan to set up an airspace defence zone in waters disputed with Japan.

The Liaoning, bought used from Ukraine and refurbished in China, has conducted more than 100 exercises and experiments since it was commissioned last year but this is the first time it has been sent to the South China Sea.

The Liaoning left port from the northern city of Qingdao accompanied by two destroyers and two frigates, the Chinese navy said on an official news website.

While there, it will carry out "scientific research, tests and military drills", the report said.

"This is the first time since the Liaoning entered service that it has carried out long-term drills on the high seas," it added.

The timing of the drills is bound to raise eyebrows with its neighbours, given the overlapping maritime disputes. China has lodged formal protests with the United States and Japan after both criticised its plan to impose new rules on airspace over disputed waters in the East China Sea.

On Tuesday, Australia said it had summoned China's ambassador to express concern over its imposition of the air defence identification zone.

China also claims almost the entire oil- and gas-rich South China Sea, conflicting with claims from Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Vietnam.

That dispute is one of the region's biggest flashpoints amid China's military build-up and the US strategic "pivot" back to Asia.

Though considered decades behind US technology, the Liaoning represents the Chinese navy's blue-water ambitions and has been the focus of a campaign to stir patriotism.

'Not overly concerned'

Rommel Banlaoi, executive director of the Philippine Institute for Peace, Violence and Terrorism Research, said he thought the Liaoning was still years away from representing a real threat.

"China is still developing its own model of carrier operations and its technology is (far) behind the United States," he said. "Personally, I would not be overly concerned with an old diesel-powered aircraft carrier on a training mission."

The navy did not specify exactly what training would be done, only noting that previous exercises involving aircraft landing and taking off had gone well.

Previously reported training exercises have mostly been in the Yellow Sea, between China and the Korean peninsula.

"Obviously the Chinese authorities have been adopting a series of measures to strengthen their claim on the sovereignty of the disputed territories," said Joseph Cheng, a political science professor at City University of Hong Kong.

"You see Japan and Southeast Asian countries have also been making gestures and taking steps to strengthen sovereignty, so China has to respond."

China's navy said the mission was routine, adding that the Liaoning was still in a testing phase.

"This test visit to the South China Sea is part of normal arrangements for testing and training for the Liaoning," it said.

"...Long cross-sea voyages are a necessary stage of experimentation and training to test equipment and troops under continuous work and different hydrological and meteorological conditions."
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon5 View Post
                ADIZ is not going to achieve anything, the boots on the ground is Japanese.
                There are no boots on the ground and any flag won't last more than a day in that wind and water blasted rock.

Comment

And so it begins......
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    GF, are you serious? We both have veterans from the Battle of Hong Kong demanding compensation. Never mind the Comfort Women issue which I find the most disturbing of all. The Japanese raped their grandmothers. You actually think Koreans and Chinese are going to forget?
                    Yes and those people who did those things are long dead. I remember your distaste for rehashing events that happened in the past and using as justification for further hostilities, given your war experience in the Balkan conflict.

20-25 more years, S. Korea and China practically have no reason to dislike Japan anymore because everybody who was indirectly or directly responsible is dead, unless of course if you believe that the sins of the father pass to the sons, which in this case, I demand that the British starts compensation for its occupation of India.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      And so it begins......
                      You have a sit next to you? :pop:
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Sure Dok.:tankie:
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                          Yes and those people who did those things are long dead. I remember your distaste for rehashing events that happened in the past and using as justification for further hostilities, given your war experience in the Balkan conflict.

20-25 more years, S. Korea and China practically have no reason to dislike Japan anymore because everybody who was indirectly or directly responsible is dead, unless of course if you believe that the sins of the father pass to the sons, which in this case, I demand that the British starts compensation for its occupation of India.
                          Except when the Japanese start mouthing off about how things never happened whenever they think they can get away with it. The problem is what Japanese politicians and Japanese society does now; Yasukuni could be quite passable if it weren't for the fact that there's a museum in the side of the shrine that denies Japanese atrocities and militarism; and every time a majority party Japanese politician opens his mouth about this stuff, no one shouts them down and an ultranationalist used to be governor of Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Sure Dok.:tankie:
                            ''Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's tribulation: not because any man's troubles are a delectable joy, but because to perceive from what ills you are free yourself is pleasant. ''-Titus Lucretius Carus

This naval stuff is alien to me.Give me a wake up call when the Marines arrive .
                            Last edited by Mihais; 27 Nov 13,, 18:39.
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

The problem is what happens during the next 20-25 years that has me worried.

Comment

Doesn't matter what I believe. We can say get over it all we want. They're not getting over it. Chinese and Korean blood still boils when mentioning comfort women and massacres. It might be wrong but it would be idiotic to ignore it.

And if India and the UK gets into a squabble in the future, India will use past wrongs as justification. Everybody brings up the past. Everybody.
                                Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 27 Nov 13,, 18:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X