10 Questions Every Liberal Should Ask Every Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Questions Every Liberal Should Ask Every Republican

I don't know if this has been posted before, but thought maybe if any of the points where incorrect maybe someone could be kind enough to point them out for me...

CLICK HERE

It deserves to be reprinted in full:

1) If Republicans are so fiscally responsible, why was President Eisenhower the last Republican president to balance the budget?
    2) If President Reagan was such a fiscally conservative hero, why did he quadruple our national debt during his eight years in the White House?
    3) If tax breaks are the main driving force behind job creation, how would we create jobs once tax rates were reduced to practically zero?
    4) If socialized health care is so awful, why does every country that leads the world in life expectancy have socialized health care?
    5) If you support the freedom of religion (as per our Constitution), and my church recognizes gay marriage, isn’t your support for the banning of same-sex marriage an attack on my religion’s First Amendment rights?
    6) What’s more realistic? 1) That an entire region of the United States that supported slavery in the late-1800s and supported segregation in the 1950s and 1960s suddenly stopped being racist, or, 2) That the racist southern Democrats in the south became Republicans during the 1950s and 1960s when the Republican party shifted toward an idea called the “Southern Strategy,” where the GOP appealed to the racism in southern whites who didn’t like African Americans voting for Democrats?
    7) If taxes are at some of their lowest levels in history, and the wealthiest in this country are richer than ever, why hasn’t the growth in the wealth of the middle class matched that of the top 2%?
    8) If our Founding Fathers wanted this nation to be based on Christianity, why don’t the words “Christian” or “Christianity” appear even once in our Constitution?
    9) If a Republican president reduced massive job losses in the midst of the worst recession in nearly a century by more than 50% in his first 4 months in office; presided over 44 consecutive months of private-sector job growth creating nearly 8 million jobs; killed Osama bin Ladin; saw stock markets reach all-time highs; saved the American auto industry; increased domestic oil production to highs not seen since the late-1990s and championed the largest year-to-year deficit reductions since World War II, would your party not be calling him a hero and a legend?
    10) If Jesus spent his life helping the poor and the needy, how does it make sense that a party which claims to be for “Christian values” continues to cut funding for programs that help the poor and the needy?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

One question the two of you can answer: What is your point in posting this?
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Just chiming in but those are valid questions. I bet there are also questions every republican should ask every liberal as well. Lets here them.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          Just chiming in but those are valid questions. I bet there are also questions every republican should ask every liberal as well. Lets here them.
          What for?

The elephants and the donkeys both fuck up the country but the donkeys are doing it because they mean well and that makes it OK.

Comment

I think that very well may be the best one-line summary I've ever seen of American politics, EVAR
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
              It deserves to be reprinted in full:

1) If Republicans are so fiscally responsible, why was President Eisenhower the last Republican president to balance the budget?
              Because true fiscal responsibility, and more importantly intelligent management of the economy and government spending encompasses far broader measure than a balanced budget. One also has to control taxation, curb structural spending growth, encourage economic growth, combat inflation, ensure the national defense, invest in infrastructure, etc, and do so in cooperation with Congress.

Also, because the democrats that came after Eisenhower screwed things up so badly their Republican successors had to borrow more money just to set things right.

2) If President Reagan was such a fiscally conservative hero, why did he quadruple our national debt during his eight years in the White House?
              President Reagan was a conservative hero (period) who recognized the need to, among other things, rebuild a military demoralized and weakened under Jimmy Carter, and restart a moribund economy. The fact we are sitting here talking about this 30 years later without America having gone bankrupt suggests that his spending was sustainable and wise.

3) If tax breaks are the main driving force behind job creation, how would we create jobs once tax rates were reduced to practically zero?
              This is what liberals just don't get. It's not tax breaks, or any other specific thing the government does that drives sustainable job creation. It's the entrepreneurs and private businesses who do this. Things that make the lives of these individuals and businesses easier and more profitable help incentivize them to create jobs.

4) If socialized health care is so awful, why does every country that leads the world in life expectancy have socialized health care?
              Because the same factors that increase longivity those countries make socialized health care more affordable? In other words, acceptable socialized health care can be a consequence of factors that also cause longevity.

5) If you support the freedom of religion (as per our Constitution), and my church recognizes gay marriage, isn’t your support for the banning of same-sex marriage an attack on my religion’s First Amendment rights?
              Your church can make a statement about marriage and perform a ceremony, but creating a legally binding union between two people goes far beyond free speech.

6) What’s more realistic? 1) That an entire region of the United States that supported slavery in the late-1800s and supported segregation in the 1950s and 1960s suddenly stopped being racist, or, 2) That the racist southern Democrats in the south became Republicans during the 1950s and 1960s when the Republican party shifted toward an idea called the “Southern Strategy,” where the GOP appealed to the racism in southern whites who didn’t like African Americans voting for Democrats?
              Nice question. If any one was wondering whether the liberal who wrote these questions holds prejudiced opinions against conservatives, well, now we know.

7) If taxes are at some of their lowest levels in history, and the wealthiest in this country are richer than ever, why hasn’t the growth in the wealth of the middle class matched that of the top 2%?
              Let me rephrase: If *factually shaky supposition A is true* and *assumption B that would not be at all surprising if we had sustained economic growth through our history is true*, then why is *fact C that has a huge number of complex factors true*?

Well, maybe one reason is that some people in this country's political classes have forgotten even how to formulate logically sound questions?

8) If our Founding Fathers wanted this nation to be based on Christianity, why don’t the words “Christian” or “Christianity” appear even once in our Constitution?
              Nice try. Not all conservatives are social conservatives or Chirstians. Our founding fathers wanted freedom of religion in this country. Most of them were Christians but they were wise enough not to inject their own religious views into the Constitution. Conservatives today hold a range of opinions on religion and moral and social issues, and the great majority of us are strong believers in religious freedom and the separation of church and state.

9) If a Republican president reduced massive job losses in the midst of the worst recession in nearly a century by more than 50% in his first 4 months in office; presided over 44 consecutive months of private-sector job growth creating nearly 8 million jobs; killed Osama bin Ladin; saw stock markets reach all-time highs; saved the American auto industry; increased domestic oil production to highs not seen since the late-1990s and championed the largest year-to-year deficit reductions since World War II, would your party not be calling him a hero and a legend?
              Americans are intelligent enough to see when things happen in spite of a lack of good leadership, when "achievements" are really optimistic spins on some dire numbers, when "courage" means taking decisions that any competent administration would take while continuing and expanding the policy decisions of much criticized predecessors while being disingenuous about these actions with both political supporters and opponents.

10) If Jesus spent his life helping the poor and the needy, how does it make sense that a party which claims to be for “Christian values” continues to cut funding for programs that help the poor and the needy?
              Because some those programs are like economic cocaine. They hurt the poor and the needy while seeming to give them respite.

I have to congratulate this author on succinctly condensing every single superficial argument made by the left when attacking the right into a neat set of question. As both sides of the political discourse waste time on this type meaningless chatter, the country is being hurt by the lack of substantive dialogue that can actually drill down to the causes behind today's problems with sufficient depth, understanding and nuance to find real solutions. People still seem to be able to get some things done at lower levels of government, but every current or aspiring political or media creature of Washington DC has to turn into a vapid grand standing douche bag spewing clever sounding white noise everywhere. That's surely one reason why there is so much gridlock in politics today.

Good lord it's 4:45 AM. Should not peruse WAB after late night at work. :bang:
              Last edited by citanon; 27 Nov 13,, 13:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                Sure, just countering all those posts made in attacking the Democrats and their supporters. After all, if you have to ask this question, then I can ask you that same question, what is the point of posting your posts against Obamacare and etc.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Comment

I think the difference is that attacks against Obamacare are done on the Obamacare thread, and attacks on his fiscal policies are done on the fiscal policies threads, for or against filibusters are done on the filibuster thread, etc....

I don't think there are very many "Democrats suck balls" or "Republicans can kiss my ass" kinds of threads.....
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    Sure, just countering all those posts made in attacking the Democrats and their supporters. After all, if you have to ask this question, then I can ask you that same question, what is the point of posting your posts against Obamacare and etc.

Obamacare is a national issue people are discussing. All I see here is 10 loaded partisan questions... to serve what purpose? The fact that you cannot see the difference between this and discussing Obamacare only proves that a thread like this is going nowhere fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                      Obamacare is a national issue people are discussing. All I see here is 10 loaded partisan questions... to serve what purpose? The fact that you cannot see the difference between this and discussing Obamacare only proves that a thread like this is going nowhere fast.
                      Oh I can see the difference but I am also referring to the one side arguments that you keep rehashing in your argument against Obamacare. After all, we are just taking a page out of your playbook and showing you what it is like to be used against you. The point is, you do not have the monopoly on the high ground.

I can apply your above statement to your posts in Obamacare and say that that thread is going nowhere fast especially when that thread is as partisan as it comes.

Hypocrisy is a bitch, ain't it?

Comment

Oh I can see the difference but I am also referring to the one side arguments that you keep rehashing in your argument against Obamacare. After all, we are just taking a page out of your playbook and showing you what it is like to be used against you. The point is, you do not have the monopoly on the high ground.

I can apply your above statement to your posts in Obamacare and say that that thread is going nowhere fast especially when that thread is as partisan as it comes.

Hypocrisy is a bitch, ain't it?
                        I'm sorry... what argument of mine that I keep rehashing about Obamacare are you referring to exactly? Please quote them.

Please, go ahead and apply my statement to my posts about Obamacare and point it out for me specifically. Let me know what you scrape together.

Have fun searching.

Like I said.... nowhere fast. Might want to check on your arguments before making an ass of yourself next time, or who you're talking to, before mounting that high horse.
                        Last edited by Wooglin; 27 Nov 13,, 18:00.

Comment

Firstly, where are my posts against Obamacare?

Secondly, I reiterate and amplify for your benefit, what is the point of this post? There are multiple threads covering every one of these topics in far greater depth and logical premise than the flaming points presented here.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Welcome back DM. Hope everything is going well for you over in West 'by God' Virginia.

Still stirring up controversy, I see.

Those 10 questions you posted reflect questioner's bias and, for that matter, yours too. As such, they are pretty much worthless to serious students of history looking for the issues on both sides. No serious political commentator would be caught asking them.

The author that put them together more or less admits he cannot hold his own in political discussion with conservatives. Instead he just made up some loaded questions. So much for an open mind.

The GOP does not have a perfect batting record. Neither does the Democratic party. The latter has even gone so far as to 'forget' on purpose its own darkest moments. Case in point:http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...56786326834083

It's too bad that political dynamics get in the way of your perfect solutions for all the problems in the country. You can't change it. Kill every GOP member in the country and in no time the dems will split into two creating a new conservative party.
                            Last edited by JAD_333; 27 Nov 13,, 23:04.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                              So much wrong with that post.... Most of the economic rescue came from Bush. Bush by the way who set up the operation that got OBL, saved the auto-industry via TARP (and at almost no long term cost to tax payer), had way more to do with increasing oil and gas production at the federal level verses Obama who has done everythng in hos power to curtail drilling. The Only reason Obama has deficit reductions is because his initial budget was so big. He has tanked the debt long term both with massive up coming payments and yet more entitlements that the private sector has toe carry water for thus crippling job creation.

Oh wait, this was about the Left calling Bush a hero....

Comment

Working...
                              X