Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anil View Post
    What military gear?
    india has no military presence in afganistan but we do have a battalion of para military ITBP there....

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Two words. Pakistan. Minerals.

Just wow!
      How exactly is it a strategic plus to be mining minerals in Afghanistan and having to haul it across pakistan or iran (and ship it past pakistan)

and on top of that, doing it without the Taliban's blessing.

It just beggars belief.

Comment

Mining has not begun yet, its just blocks that have been allocated. China has mining interests there too.

It's a wait and see before more investments people & materials come forth depending on how the security situation evolves.

Comment

Originally posted by winton View Post
          How exactly is it a strategic plus to be mining minerals in Afghanistan and having to haul it across pakistan or iran (and ship it past pakistan)

It just beggars belief.
          Stronger Afghanistan leads to a weaker Pakistan. Everything else is a gain.

Comment

Your question was...
            What can India gain strategically from Afghanistan being landlocked?. What is it that it can trade for?
            But since you insist, if those minerals can be safely extracted and transported, let me remind you A-stan has more borders then Pakistan.

Chinese are interested in the same biz as Indians. Wanna bet (assuming you will be long enough here) those operations will be Taliban free if/when both countries place their interests in place?

It just beggars belief.
            Are you calling me a beggar or this was a typo?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Your question was...
              yes and your short answer left alot to the imagination.

But since you insist, if those minerals can be safely extracted and transported, let me remind you A-stan has more borders then Pakistan.
              All of which pose significant problems for the indians cause there is no direct route. Sure they can sell to other countries, but where is the strategic advantage in that?

Mind you, its not just minerals. Even dropping of diplomats is at the discretion of a third party.

Chinese are interested in the same biz as Indians. Wanna bet (assuming you will be long enough here) those operations will be Taliban free if/when both countries place their interests in place?
              china correct me if I'm wrong, has a border with afghanistan. And I think as long as said country has some dialogue with the taliban than there are lest security issues.

Are you calling me a beggar or this was a typo?
              I think its lost in translation.

Comment

yes and your short answer left alot to the imagination.
                I see you have no problems to use it. When it suits you.

All of which pose significant problems for the indians cause there is no direct route. Sure they can sell to other countries, but where is the strategic advantage in that?
                Keeping Pakistan busy elsewhere.

Mind you, its not just minerals. Even dropping of diplomats is at the discretion of a third party.
                And that is not a problem for India as you could see. They even have soldiers and equipment in there.

china correct me if I'm wrong, has a border with afghanistan. And I think as long as said country has some dialogue with the taliban than there are lest security issues.
                You give too much weight to the Talibans.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I see you have no problems to use it. When it suits you.
                  If you were a bit more specific I could too, but you just said "pakistan, minerals" What am I suppose to make of it.

Keeping Pakistan busy elsewhere.
                  Pakistan is busy espeically when it wants to keep india busier in kashmir,
                  but afghanistan is its strategic depth. its a core interest.

And that is not a problem for India as you could see. They even have soldiers and equipment in there.
                  Cause the US obviously lobbied pakistan. How did india get its troops and equipment in?

You give too much weight to the Talibans.
                  Because they have punched well above their weight. The only think holding them back right now is the full force of the US military.

Comment

Cause the US obviously lobbied pakistan. How did india get its troops and equipment in?

there are other countries which share a border with afganistan.as a matter of fact india has a mig 29 base in tajakistan which does share a border with afganistan.

Comment

Originally posted by prash View Post
                      there are other countries which share a border with afganistan.as a matter of fact india has a mig 29 base in tajakistan which does share a border with afganistan.
                      Farkhor Air Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how does indian equipment reach tajakistan?another landlocked country. it does not share a border with russia

Comment

so are you saying the troops and equipment came through tajikistan?

Comment

anyways i think the equipment will be sent through any of the cis country sharing a border with afganistan and the minerals would be sent through the indian port at chabbar,iran.

and winton even with american lobbying pakistan wont let indian troops and equipment pass through its territory.the battalion of itbt went through someplace else

Comment

It just beggars belief.
                            its just 900 kms by train to chabbar,iran and warm waters

Comment

its just 900 kms by train to chabbar,iran and warm waters
                              Chabbar port is a good play. but it hinges on the security situation and pakistans role as a spoiler.

Comment

Chabbar port is a good play. but it hinges on the security situation and pakistans role as a spoiler.
                                security situation yes,pakistan no,pakistan can do jack about this situation...this whole thing is done to circumvent pakistan in the first place,it is now actually cheaper logistically to go through iran.and india and china are the sole relevant powers still doing business with iran,so iran wont piss china and india.

Comment

Working...
                                X