Gunny, that may be so but I still outranked your ass!!! :scared:
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Gunny, that may be so but I still outranked your ass!!! :scared:
      While you were 2ndLt?
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        While you were 2ndLt?
        Only in name, only in name...

Comment

I work with a bunch of retired warrant officer...mostly CW4s & CW5s.

These guys are ALL highly proficient technicians.

That said, I do like to remind them on a regular basis that the day I pinned on the gold bar of Second Lieutenant I outranked all of them.

A few have a "Scanners" moment. But most get that I am pulling their leg.

And while I jabbed the Gunny a bit there as the consumate professional noncommissioned officer that he is I am sure he would acknowledge that a Gunnery Sergeant is outranked by a 2LT.

But it is a VERY stupid 2LT who doesn't recognize that just because Congress saw fit to make him/her an Officer and a Gentleman/woman they have a bunch to learn.

And it is the professional noncommissioned officer who recognizes that part of their job is to train that young officer and to support them...but not to usurp their authority.

I had a squad leader when I was a platoon leader who thought he would "square away the new lieutenant" and take over and show me how I would run things.

He soon became a former squad leader.
          Last edited by Albany Rifles; 27 Nov 13,, 19:56.
          Mark Twain

Comment

I had an E-9 once (notice I didn't say "Master Chief?" That's cuz he wasn't. He was just an E-9) with whom I served for about three weeks when I finally took him aside and said, "Master Chief (I gave him the benefit of the doubt for conversational purposes), I can learn to work with you, but I choose not to. Get on the phone to your detailer . . . NOW!" He was a true waste of human flesh. Never left the safety of his spot at the table in the CPO mess. He finally did, as he was leaving permanently.

Comment

Yessir, I always make the distinction between sergeant noncommissioned officer.

I hold the noncommissioned officers in higher regard.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                Get on the phone to your detailer . . . NOW!"
                What's a detailer? What is the highest rank that a NCO can get on a ship?

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                  I had an E-9 once (notice I didn't say "Master Chief?" That's cuz he wasn't. He was just an E-9) with whom I served for about three weeks when I finally took him aside and said, "Master Chief (I gave him the benefit of the doubt for conversational purposes), I can learn to work with you, but I choose not to. Get on the phone to your detailer . . . NOW!" He was a true waste of human flesh. Never left the safety of his spot at the table in the CPO mess. He finally did, as he was leaving permanently.
                  Sounds like this needs to be told in the stories thread...
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    What's a detailer? What is the highest rank that a NCO can get on a ship?
                    A detailer is the person at the Navy's central personnel office who determines reassignments of per personnel. What the good Captain was telling this clown was go talk to the personnel folks and get reassigned because you are a waste of a space here.

The senior enlisted personin a ship's crew is the Command Master Chief....in the Army its a Command Sergeant Major. Both are pay grade of E-9 (the enlisted paygrades are E-1 thru E-9).. You can have multiple personnel aboard ship who are E-9 whose rank is Master Cheif Petty Officer....but there is only one Master Chief Petty Officer of a vessel. Larger ships like carriers can have Command Master Chiefs for each squadron embarked but for the ships company there is one Comamnd MAster Chief Petty Officer.

(I hope this Old Grunt answered it properly, Captain!)
                    Mark Twain

Comment

He soon became a former squad leader.
                      Amen to that.If somebody thinks he can do the job,he's free to try for a comission.If not,STFU unless you ADVISE.
                      Those who know don't speak
                      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                        Amen to that.If somebody thinks he can do the job,he's free to try for a comission.If not,STFU unless you ADVISE.
                        And the same applies. If you think you can do a senior NCOs job, give it a try.

My post wasn't suppose to be the start of "I had some f(*ked up enlisted people whinning fro the O side. (Believe me I've had to deal with just as many messed up officers)

It was a joke. The Col got it,

Comment

A detailer is the person at the Navy's central personnel office who determines reassignments of per personnel. What the good Captain was telling this clown was go talk to the personnel folks and get reassigned because you are a waste of a space here.

The senior enlisted personin a ship's crew is the Command Master Chief....in the Army its a Command Sergeant Major. Both are pay grade of E-9 (the enlisted paygrades are E-1 thru E-9).. You can have multiple personnel aboard ship who are E-9 whose rank is Master Cheif Petty Officer....but there is only one Master Chief Petty Officer of a vessel. Larger ships like carriers can have Command Master Chiefs for each squadron embarked but for the ships company there is one Comamnd MAster Chief Petty Officer.

(I hope this Old Grunt answered it properly, Captain!)
                          Pretty much correct, but I wonder if Blademaster means what is the highest position an NCO can have on a ship? I.E. could an NCO be an X.O. or Cheng? If so, it depends on the ship. On some smaller ships you might have an NCO standing OOD underway or EMO or SWC, but never in the line of command. Now on a really small vessel like a patrol craft or tug or yard boat, that may be different. Possibly a Chief could command it, but that is something the Capt would probably know better.

Comment

So how realistic was Heartbreak Ridge and Clint Eastwood's portrayal of the tough as nails sergeant as well as the inept Lieutenant and the stiff necked Major roles?

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                              Pretty much correct, but I wonder if Blademaster means what is the highest position an NCO can have on a ship? I.E. could an NCO be an X.O. or Cheng? If so, it depends on the ship. On some smaller ships you might have an NCO standing OOD underway or EMO or SWC, but never in the line of command. Now on a really small vessel like a patrol craft or tug or yard boat, that may be different. Possibly a Chief could command it, but that is something the Capt would probably know better.
                              I meant in both ways. Thanks for the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                And the same applies. If you think you can do a senior NCOs job, give it a try.

My post wasn't suppose to be the start of "I had some f(*ked up enlisted people whinning fro the O side. (Believe me I've had to deal with just as many messed up officers)

It was a joke. The Col got it,
                                I know you think anyone beneath the rank of Colonel is dumb as a brick,but I got the joke.

We're supposed to have team players.Until we find those,we face plenty of jerks or simply misfits.That's true regardless of rank and job.
                                Those who know don't speak
                                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Working...
                                X