A-10 Warthog - possible victim of the sequestration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    So how realistic was Heartbreak Ridge and Clint Eastwood's portrayal of the tough as nails sergeant as well as the inept Lieutenant and the stiff necked Major roles?
    I can't imagine the Major talking to the Gunny the way that asshole did when first meeting him. A MOH winner yet. Not on my watch; not in my Department of the Navy and Marine Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      So how realistic was Heartbreak Ridge and Clint Eastwood's portrayal of the tough as nails sergeant as well as the inept Lieutenant and the stiff necked Major roles?
      Not realistic at all

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        It was a joke. The Col got it,
        Gunny, I got it as well.

Just trying to show from the other angle.

And for the record....oh, I was a fvcked up 2LT but I could land navigate my ass off! (Thank you, Boy Scouts!)
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Not realistic at all
          But they had bitching Camo jobs!!!!
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            And for the record....oh, I was a fvcked up 2LT but I could land navigate my ass off! (Thank you, Boy Scouts!)
            Getting to the bar was never a problem. Getting home was.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Getting to the bar was never a problem. Getting home was.
              Those damn piranha will screw up everything!!!!
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Gunny, I got it as well.

Just trying to show from the other angle.

Lucky for me, our training pipeline was so long we were all 1Lts before hitting the line squadrons. Every once in a while a 2Lt would finish early, but that was 100% out of their hands (generally it was just a string of amazing weather and few/no flight cancellations due to maintenance). I think I might've actually pinned on 1Lt before I ever set foot on an AWACS.

Comment

"Back in the day" it took about 6 - 8 months of training for a new Army lieutenant after commissioning. I went to officer basic course, TOW platoon leader school and mortar platoon leader school (broke my kneecap day 4 of Ranger school). That was about normal in the late 70s - early 80s. I was in school 6 months. I hit my first unit as a 2LT and pinned on 1LT a year later.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    Yeah, a rather low-tech weapon that spits out coke-bottle sized shells at 4,000 RPM and 3,500 fts.
                    Actually, while the shell is close to a coke-bottle in size, the round that it 'spits out' is around 30mm in diameter and not terribly long in length. But then, many folks think that a cannon spits out the whole shell, not just the projectile...

Tankersteve

Comment

Originally posted by Tankersteve View Post
                      Actually, while the shell is close to a coke-bottle in size, the round that it 'spits out' is around 30mm in diameter and not terribly long in length. But then, many folks think that a cannon spits out the whole shell, not just the projectile...

Tankersteve
                      I was one of those people who thought that way until I realized that the shell was mostly propellant and that the round itself is a lot smaller.

Comment

Its not a real cannon if it doesn't shoot separate loading ammo

Comment

Its not a real cannon if it doesn't shoot separate loading ammo
                          Oh come now, there are always exceptions to the rule :)

Mark 16 8"/55 Rapid Fire
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I for one will miss the "Warthog" and I fear our ground troops will too. Craig
                            Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                              I for one will miss the "Warthog" and I fear our ground troops will too. Craig
                              It will always remain an Icon to us Brits. To see it over the skies in Germany on a huge exercise (1984) albeit as the 'enemy' was awesome and after all these years is still a strong memory.

Comment

I got to watch a demo of a downed pilot rescue a few years ago. It was part of a larger "airpower demonstration" out in the desert near Nellis AFB, NV. We were probably about 30 yards from the pilot, while a 4-ship of A-10s did an horrifying dance right overhead, just raining absolute hell on their targets a couple miles one after another away as the Blackhawks extracted the pilots and set some desert scrub on fire with flares. It was pretty damn impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X