Why have a serrated pocket knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why have a serrated pocket knife?

I was Christmas shopping last night, looking at the emergency stuff that is good to have around. I was in the Swiss Army knife section, thinking about my 20ish niece, and some of the Recruit series (think that is what they were) had serrated main blades.

What's the advantage of those?

In cooking, I love them for slicing potatoes, other veggies. It's a feature on my dive knives.

But for the basic person, out in the "wild", how might they use that?

As it was, I bought the option without the serrated main blade, mostly because in some regions, the laws say that "out in the wild", a serrated blade is a no-no.

But knives are always useful to give as presents so just as she might get the plain blade, so she might get the serrated......if I knew the practical land, out of the kitchen use.

A quick Google search can answer that question for you:

Knife Depot: Serrated vs. Plain Edge Knives

Should survival knife have serrations? [Archive] - Bushcraft USA Forums

From what I read (about 30 seconds worth), opinions fall about evenly on both sides, with a tendency leaning towards straight edge.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

If it is not to be used much (meaning to the point that the teeth are dulled), they are great for cutting rope and seat belts.

Comment

Hmmmm, on the face of it, maybe I ought to find one with both a plain main blade and a serrated main blade. Having just finished my stew for the night, sooner or later, being able to do more things with the meal is a good thing.

As it is, right now, she's slotted to get the Camper with a main plain blade and a wood saw blade. Thicker, but still......as far as seat belts go, good suggestion, but I think I'll get her one of those tools with the cutter and the glass hammer.

Comment

I use the serrated blade on my Leatherman to cut small branches and stuff that a straight blade might slide off.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

I prefer a serrated edge for cutting cloth, webbing,(think seatbelts.) This is for an emergency use. If I were out in the woods, particularly for a bit I would prefer straight edge as it is easier to maintain a good edge with a stone.

Comment

I carry two knives in my uniform - a half serrated / half plain blade in my cell phone pocket of my ABUs, and a straight blade pocketknife with awl, screwdriver and bottle/can opener in my front pocket. The straight blade is for regular use - the other is for times when I need a knife to open with one hand and since I may be cutting cord, cardboard or whatever - I like the option of both. For teh record, it is a CRKT M-16 that I think was $26. The four blader is a Camillus "US" knife.

In my civilian attire, I usually have a plain blade in my pocket.

When hunting / camping - I have a Leatherman with a serrated edge, but I'll also have a straight blade, usually a Buck 110 or 112 folder.

The serrated is good for rope / cord or mild sawing. The plain edge is just a better all around knife. I find you can do everything well with a plain edge, you can do some thing good and somethings not so great with the serrated edge.

Hope that clears it up....
              "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                Hope that clears it up....
                Nope.

You haven't told us what you have in the other pockets :Dancing-Banana:
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Another thing to consider is re-sharpening; serrated blades are a lot harder to re-sharpen properly, I've always had it done professionally. I can re-sharpen a straight blade no problem, but I'm sure I'd screw up a serrated blade (when I was done with it, it'd be a straight blade!).
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    You haven't told us what you have in the other pockets :Dancing-Banana:
                    'K.

Right lower leg - 20' of paracord with a figure 9 lock.
                    Left lower leg - waterproof case with altitude chamber card, drivers license, certificates of comptency for fork lift and flight line, 2 razor blades, 3 bandaids and challenge coin.
                    Left cargo pocket - pelican flashlight and paperback book
                    Left rear pocket - empty (used to be for my wallet, but I quit using a billfold when I threw out my back)
                    Right rear pocket - handkerchief
                    Right front pocket - pocket knife
                    Left front pocket - keys and moneyclip wallet
                    Top right shirt pocket - wateproof case with access cards
                    Top left shirt pocket - notebook
                    Bottom right shirt pocket - empty - sometimes a piece of candy
                    Bottom left shirt pocket - ID card while going about day

Believe it or not, this is pared down from what I used to carry. I've embraced being desk bound, and only carry stuff that I find useful on a daily basis. Yes, I use the paracord a lot more often than you'd think.

On original topic, though - one thing about knives is that I tend to go for the knives that offer both quality and value. Case in point is the buck knives. Awesome knives, great customer service but not too pricey. I don't mind breaking them (especially with Buck's customer service). I'd love an Emerson - but would cry dearly if I scratched a $200 knife.

Comment

And i thought i have my pockets filled.

Dude you need a backpack or a smaller bag of some sort.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Had one of these bad boys years ago, let a friend borrow it, and he "lost" it down by the American River in Sacramento somewhere; nice friend . . . . .

Attached Files
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                          Had one of these bad boys years ago, let a friend borrow it, and he "lost" it down by the American River in Sacramento somewhere; nice friend . . . . .

[ATTACH]34382[/ATTACH]
                          Well, such is similar to my dive knife and if I carried that around day to day or gave one to her to carry it around day to day, the law would throw us both in jail. That kind of knife to have around all the time is just out of the question.

As far as pockets, to each their own. Me, I'm in Tac Shirts at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            And i thought i have my pockets filled.

Dude you need a backpack or a smaller bag of some sort.

Actually, the backpack just carries a change of clothes for the gym and my lunch. Well.....and a spare knife, eyeglass repair kit, more paracord, bandaids and a reflective belt.

On the other hand, my truck only has a shotgun, vest, water bottle and some CDs. And everything except the CDs are there only because it is hunting season.

I really am backwards - maybe that's why folks call me "anut".

Comment

Well, I learned something today or at least, was reminded of it. I should find out what she does in life which means asking her brother, my father.........ERRRRRR.........her father, my brother those questions.

I was out at the ranch today looking over the well they put in and had to unscrew the cover to the control box. Phillips head. The blades at the end of the openers on my Swiss Army knife wouldn't do one, so I went back to the car and found out I had a cheapie do it all knife with a Phillips head and a mirco (Mica?) leatherman imitation. The do it all knife managed to get the other bolt undone.

But there you go, find out what her life is like these days. If she is likely to use it day to day, then it is likely to be around when she really needs it.

Comment

Working...
                              X