No announcement yet.

High death toll in Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to go. There are numerous tornado s touching down here.
    sigpic

Comment

Stay safe!
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Keep safe Minnie
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

What this girl would not do to get a free ride to Oz. Say hello to the Wizard.

Comment

At Least 6 Dead, 54 Hurt After Tornadoes Rip Through Illinois | NBC Chicago

Tornado aftermath in Washington, Illinois

Thanks for the well-wishes. I am fine. Although most of the tornadic activity was in central and southern Illinois, two tornado's struck just to the south of me. Winds here where I live were clocked at 70 mph and the rainstorms were quite robust. Officials stopped the Chicago Bears football game at Soldier Field and evacuated the players and fans. Before the game could continue later, the goalposts had to be straightened out. The winds had twisted them. Trees and power lines went down in my area, but no fatalities. The central and southern counties really got hit hard.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              Many deaths could have been avoided simply by evacuating to the leeward side of the islands.

Source

Having made countless trips to the Philippines over the last 24 years there is one thing any foreigner, especially a Westerner, needs to learn. If one wants to live there, as many foreigners do, you need to learn this if you want to maintain your sanity in your years there. This is truly no joke as I have experienced it first hand myself until I was enlightened.

You only get to ask one "why" question per day. You will want to ask many "why" questions every day everywhere but to stay sane you can only ask one. This related to me by many ex-pats and boy are they ever right. So wondering why they didn't do this or do that violates the one "why" question for a day.

So if anyone is thinking of asking me why this is then remember you only get one "why" question that relates to Filipino thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                Many deaths could have been avoided simply by evacuating to the leeward side of the islands.

Source
                I wonder whether the phillipines will learn anything from this disaster. Change building codes, town planning, emergency response, etc??

Comment

Originally posted by winton View Post
                  I wonder whether the phillipines will learn anything from this disaster. Change building codes, town planning, emergency response, etc??
                  Is Santa young, slim and blonde?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    Is Santa young, slim and blonde?
                    No, but Santa is the US of A.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                      Having made countless trips to the Philippines over the last 24 years there is one thing any foreigner, especially a Westerner, needs to learn. If one wants to live there, as many foreigners do, you need to learn this if you want to maintain your sanity in your years there. This is truly no joke as I have experienced it first hand myself until I was enlightened.

You only get to ask one "why" question per day. You will want to ask many "why" questions every day everywhere but to stay sane you can only ask one. This related to me by many ex-pats and boy are they ever right. So wondering why they didn't do this or do that violates the one "why" question for a day.

So if anyone is thinking of asking me why this is then remember you only get one "why" question that relates to Filipino thinking.
                      Is it one 'why' per day per group or per group member?
                      Are the answers to those whys based on any logic at all (assume not, due to your stay sane comment)?

No why on my side there :Dancing-Banana:
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

No, but Santa is the US of A.
                        What has changed this time?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          What has changed this time?
                          China

Comment

China
                            In terms of city planning and evac response?

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              In terms of city planning and evac response?
                              Thats the question.

perhaps the phillipine govt could use less military aid and more civilian aid in terms of city planning and evac technologies.

Being able to recover quickly from disasters like this improves national security.

Comment

You do realize that US military aid to Philippines 4% of the total aid to the country, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X