Snowden - Europe complicit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
    It was also about cutting down the tribalism which was impacting on sharing if not outright withholding useful INT between agencies.
    I am woefully behind in knowing all of what the NSA does. I remember it as a secretive, low profile agency nominally under the Department of Defense. Before the 'war' on terror elevated its visibility and importance, it hardly ever got mentioned in the media. Regarding tribalism among intel agencies, it seems to me NSA stood apart from the others because of its unique capabilities, not because of any tribal inclination.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
      I am woefully behind in knowing all of what the NSA does. I remember it as a secretive, low profile agency nominally under the Department of Defense. Before the 'war' on terror elevated its visibility and importance, it hardly ever got mentioned in the media. Regarding tribalism among intel agencies, it seems to me NSA stood apart from the others because of its unique capabilities, not because of any tribal inclination.
      It wasn't the NSA that was the problem :) It was the other principle alphabet agencies not playing nicely with each other.
      Linkeden:
      http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
      http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        It's complicated. Bush expanded NSA mandate to include US citizens and it has since evolved.

A constitutional test is in the making. This article might interest you: U.S. Tells Suspect It Used NSA Surveillance Program in Criminal Case - WSJ.com
        I can't access WSJ article, but lurking about the news a bit, it is not what got my comment was about.

If I got it right, the authorities used a pre-Reagan act and taped the guy without a warrant. Now they want to use the data they collected without a warrant against the guy. Moreover, they want to charge him for intentions. Is he a US-citizen, btw?

I remember it as a secretive, low profile agency nominally under the Department of Defense. Before the 'war' on terror elevated its visibility and importance, it hardly ever got mentioned in the media.
        Hardly? :whome:
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

British Embassy (c) in Berlin. The white cylindrical object on the roof is alleged to house GCHQ eavesdropping equipment - Reuters

Closeup of the white cylindrical object - Der Speigel

Germany summons UK ambassador over spying report

Germany's foreign minister summoned Britain's ambassador for talks following a report that Britain operated a secret listening post designed to spy on the German government in Berlin, Germany's foreign office said Tuesday. The eavesdropping report -- published Tuesday in the British newspaper The Independent -- is the latest allegation of one close ally spying on another that is said to have come from documents leaked by former U.S. national security contractor Edward Snowden. According to The Independent, the Snowden documents suggest that Britain, with high-tech equipment on the roof of its Berlin embassy, operated a listening station to eavesdrop on German officials. Britain's foreign office confirmed that its ambassador to Germany met Tuesday afternoon with a senior German official at Berlin's foreign ministry.
          Source: CNN.com

According to German investigators, the electronic equipment supposedly used by the NSA to intercept phone/mobile data in Berlin has been turned off.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, and Brazil's Mrs. Rousseff has long experience in persecuting and interrogating inmates on behalf of Brazil's security apparatus. How to understand her being so upset at her phones being tapped by a friendly country, which, by the way, Brazil is very able to correspond with?

Comment

It makes me wonder why so many people express outrage at revelations of spying operations carried out by the US and their European partners.
              This type of activity has been practiced since times inmemorial, originally tools of warfare intelligence. On the other hand, commercial use of electronic spying techniques is not unusual, but rather generalized. Finally, it can be said that most advanced countries use the practice for millitary intelligence, as well as comercial intelligence purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by ehcross View Post
                It makes me wonder why so many people express outrage at revelations of spying operations carried out by the US and their European partners.
                This type of activity has been practiced since times inmemorial, originally tools of warfare intelligence. On the other hand, commercial use of electronic spying techniques is not unusual, but rather generalized. Finally, it can be said that most advanced countries use the practice for millitary intelligence, as well as comercial intelligence purposes.
                cross:

Your points are well taken, but if you read the whole thread you will see that they have been expressed more than once. What relationship does commercial spying have to government spying?

Comment

I am sorry if I posted the same text twice. I'm still unfamiliar with the forum rules and the posting system.
                  The reference to commercial spying was for emphasis on its use. There is, of course, no relation at all in the use and benefit of commercial over security spying, which is practiced for commercial advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by ehcross View Post
                    I am sorry if I posted the same text twice. I'm still unfamiliar with the forum rules and the posting system.
                    The reference to commercial spying was for emphasis on its use. There is, of course, no relation at all in the use and benefit of commercial over security spying, which is practiced for commercial advantage.
                    It's not a rule, but helpful for the discussion to browse the thread before posting. Certainly no apology is necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X