Battleship North Carolina BB-55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship North Carolina BB-55

Hey guys I finally got to tour the North Carolina on Tuesday and I took a few pics for everyone . She looked pretty good but I feel like the Massachusetts was a little more open but I still had a blast (although the 5 hour drive back home dragggggsssss). I've already emailed them about volunteering to do some painting so well see maybe I'll be back up there soon .

330 pics so enjoy. Tour starts on page 14 (for some reason the pics went in a backwards order :slap:
    Battleship North Carolina 2013 Photos by 85gtkid | Photobucket
    RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Thanks for sharing, good pics!
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Battleship North Carolina receives $500,000 for engineering and permitting | Port City Daily

Comment

Wells Fargo donates $250K for Battleship NC repairs - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Comment

Those are really great pictures 85, thanks for taking the time to post them!

The North Carolina has a great LinkedIn page which is managed by Heather Loftin. She does a great job keeping us informed.

Mark

Comment

Glad you like em ;). When i left i felt like i hardly took any pics at all until i uploaded them lol.

Comment

More news about the cofferdam

Battleship poised to undergo major renovation | StarNewsOnline.com

Comment

Not crazy about the cofferdam part but im shes getting some help.

Comment

So they build the cofferdam and pump the water out. I understand that much. Hull repairs above the bilge would be pretty straight forward, sort of. What about the bottom? Won't she be resting on/in the mud? Seems like it would be really tough to tunnel under areas needing repair. That sounds like a serious job.

Comment

Yiu can't. Since shes in the mud you don't have to worry about water TOO much but you gotta wonder what the support structure looks like after all these years :slap:. She needs a drydock (Alabama too).

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                      Yiu can't. Since shes in the mud you don't have to worry about water TOO much but you gotta wonder what the support structure looks like after all these years :slap:. She needs a drydock (Alabama too).
                      You are DAMN RIGHT about needing a dry dock. The chemicals, abrasive grit and water currents swirling the grit around can actually wear holes in the hull.

That's why when I was contacted on the prospective home ports for the Iowa class Battleships, I always INSISTED that there be a minimum of four feet of clearance between the port bottom and the bilge keel at MEAN LOW LOW TIDE. So far, thankfully, Norfolk, Camden, Honolulu and San Pedro has heeded my words.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Plus on a paint part i cant see them leaving a cut off line where they can't go any further as holding up well but i could be wrong.

I don't know about everyone but i gotta say thank you Rusty for insisting that. From seeing ships like North Carolina, Alabama, Yorktown and others have major issues from something stupid like that it's good to know that they'll be fine for a long time.

Comment

Yes, she certainly does need a dry dock and we all know that once the cofferdam is built dry docking will likely never happen. So sad.
                          Rusty, thank you not only for your expertise, but your passion. A few ships, and many people, will benefit from it for hopefully decades to come.

Comment

Well, I can acertain from the recent posts that the plans to drydock and relocate SHOWBOAT are no longer in the mix. When I lived in Wilmington (1976-87) I went to see her quite often and realized then that the scuttlebutt going around about eventual hull work would be more a necessity than a desire. Of course, when you're dealing with politicians who don't know the first thing about engineering and what's NEEDED to keep the ship afloat, then more than likely the wrong decisions will be made regarding the ship's well-being.

I've wondered whether or not the NORTH CAROLINA is set up similar to the NEW JERSEY - their docent & volunteer group is practically a "crew" on board the ship every day and thus the ship is not dependent upon state workers to maintain it.

Hank

Comment

I wonder though with her hull in the shape that it's in i don't ghink she could make it TO the drydock. So maybe down the road she can get a proper drydock (thats if her under belly will hold up by then .

Comment

Working...
                              X