• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
    If memory serves in 1998 the uss Massachusetts was towed
    From fall river to bostin for cleaning & welfare check
    If the libs in mass can do it what is stopping NORTH
    CAROLINA???
    A low bridge that was built after the North Carolina was placed in Wilmington. The Showboat won't fit under it without having the upperworks cut down first.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
      A low bridge that was built after the North Carolina was placed in Wilmington. The Showboat won't fit under it without having the upperworks cut down first.
      A couple 16" rounds will fix that . Seriously though where can she go for major work though?
      RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Besides Norfolk, I believe the largest drydock at Charleston, SC, could have accepted the Showboat.

Comment

Originally posted by bbvet View Post

I dispute the first statement - museum ships are NOT privately owned - they are U.S. gov't property as they always have been; they are simply on loan to the private organization that won the bid to operate them as museums. Evidence USS OLYMPIA - unless maintained properly by the private group, the U.S.N. will take her and dispose of her. Same goes for all the others.

http://www.hnsa.org/handbook/navsea2012.pdf

Slide 6 disagrees.
          Variations exist in the terms and conditions of ship museum donation
          contracts since 1948. However, the common thread in all ship
          museum donation contracts are
          :
          Title and ownership of the vessel transfers to the Donee.
          – Vessel must be maintained in a condition satisfactory to the Navy; i.e.,
          maintained & preserved for the purpose it was donated for.
          – The government shall not bear any cost resulting from the donation.
          – Donee must obtain Navy’s consent for ship disposal or subsequent
          transfer of the vessel.
          • Warships are Munitions List Items requiring demilitarization of the hull by
          scrapping at the end of its useful life as a museum artifact.
          • Navy’s consent is required to ensure that demilitarization by scrapping is
          complied with, or that the vessel is transferred to another organization for the
          same purpose it was originally donated for.
          • The financial liability for ship disposal or subsequent transfer of the vessel
          belongs with the owner, i.e., the Donee.
          Slide 17

If an organization has no viable plan for underwater hull preservation,
          a ship disposal plan should be developed.
          w Options for Ship Disposal:
          – Domestic ship dismantling and recycling.
          – Environmental preparation and sinking as an artificial reef.
          Returning the vessel to the Navy is NOT an option.
          w Prior to undertaking a plan for ship disposal, the Donee should:
          – Consult with its State Historic Preservation Officer if the vessel is listed on,
          or eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
          – Obtain Navy’s consent to dispose or transfer the vessel.

Comment

Gun Grape - I stand corrected.

The HNSA statement agrees completely with NAVSEA's actual online web statement as to transfer of title & ownership. I guess that dispells any further notions of any of the battleships making a return to service - hence, the thread on Bring back the IOWAs is totally ficticious.

I wouldn't have thought this true, but from a purely practical and economic standpoint, once the ship is removed from the NVR and put up for donation or scrap, it's useful life as a weapons system has been deemed officially over.

The further statements from NAVSEA also indicate that the ship must be maintained according to specific regulations agreed to by the donee - I think that is what I took to mean ultimate ownership was retained by the government.

Comment

Actually per Rusty the Iowa and Wisconsin still have to be kept in good enough shape to where they can be used in an emergency. Still a pipe dream but it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                A couple 16" rounds will fix that . Seriously though where can she go for major work though?
                Here is your obstruction. The Cape Fear Memorial Bridge, built in 1967. They never expected the Showboat to need to go back to sea ever again.

At an extreme low tide, and the bridge in the up position. The North Carolina would need to have the mast, radar and about 10 feet of the forward tower removed to get under it.

Their best bet is to convert her slip into a drydock/dry berth, like they plan to do with the Texas. They can leave her free floating but able to be put on the blocks if needed. Texas will be dry berthed at some point.
                http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-pa...correspondence
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ChrisV71; 14 Oct 14,, 14:37.

Comment

Hence the 16" rounds :D. Sounds like that'd be expensive though. They could probably build a permanent dry dock instead.

Comment

It looks like some large craines could lift the center section of bridge clear up out of its tracks to temporarily remove it.

Comment

Tracks? I didn't know they could be taken apart like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                        Tracks? I didn't know they could be taken apart like that.
                        Me, neither; I just assumed it was all welded together. I know the turrets are "loose" since they have to be able to rotate (which is why the Bismark dumped her turrets when she capsized), but that's about it; I figured everything else was permanently secured to the hull.
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The Cape Fear Bridge center section is on tracks. Not the North Carolina's. But you knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                            The Cape Fear Bridge center section is on tracks. Not the North Carolina's. But you knew that.
                            Totally........I was just testing you guys :slap:

Comment

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
                              Gun Grape - I stand corrected.

The HNSA statement agrees completely with NAVSEA's actual online web statement as to transfer of title & ownership. I guess that dispells any further notions of any of the battleships making a return to service - hence, the thread on Bring back the IOWAs is totally ficticious.

I wouldn't have thought this true, but from a purely practical and economic standpoint, once the ship is removed from the NVR and put up for donation or scrap, it's useful life as a weapons system has been deemed officially over.

The further statements from NAVSEA also indicate that the ship must be maintained according to specific regulations agreed to by the donee - I think that is what I took to mean ultimate ownership was retained by the government.
                              Its a common misconception. Easy to believe when the Navy can come and salvage parts from the ship and can tell you what parts of the ship can/cannot be used.

Originally posted by 85gt kid
                              Actually per Rusty the Iowa and Wisconsin still have to be kept in good enough shape to where they can be used in an emergency. Still a pipe dream but it's there.
                              No longer true with the Iowa and Wisconsin. Congress dropped the "in reserve/emergency call up" requirement almost 10 years ago.

Comment

Here is your obstruction. The Cape Fear Memorial Bridge, built in 1967. They never expected the Showboat to need to go back to sea ever again.
                                Hence the 16" rounds :D.
                                I'm thinking of moving back to Gods Country in a few years.

Don't screw up my commute!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X