No announcement yet.

Battleship North Carolina BB-55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money. I think Battleship Cove is better established then the NC so they could do that. The North Carolina crew needs to step it up or something though cause it's pretty pitiful how they maintain her.

I will say though atleast the NC crew didn't try to have the outer props CUT OFF!
    RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Its funny how these ships were barely broken in
      5 or 6 years tops before they were retired
      We should come up with something to maintain them
      Hell they should start a go fund me pay site

Comment

It seems like there should be some kind of volunteer group made up of minor offenders (like speeders, tax evaders etc) that they could grab from to get help with the small stuff.

Comment

No No No.

These are private organizations. If they cannot drum up enough interest and help then maybe its time for the scrap yard.

I'm sure you would have a problem with me getting a few "volunteers from the local jail to help me build houses. Or Duke power using inmate labor to clear their(private) right of ways. Its the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
            Its funny how these ships were barely broken in
            5 or 6 years tops before they were retired
            We should come up with something to maintain them
            Hell they should start a go fund me pay site
            They are not "Barely broken in.

The NC and SD class spent those years sailing in a combat zone.Lots of hours on the engines, lots of stress on the ship. Often putting off maintenance.They were rode hard.

Comment

If memory serves in 1998 the uss Massachusetts was towed
              From fall river to bostin for cleaning & welfare check
              If the libs in mass can do it what is stopping NORTH
              CAROLINA???
              Well, if I'm not mistaken, NORTH CAROLINA is "supposed to pay her own bills" so to speak, without outside help - gov't.wise. I think up until the recession of '08 that things were intact on that front and the orig. plan was to drydock the ship in Norfolk for a much-needed hull restoration, etc. This new plan for the cofferdam, etc. came into play and now seems to be the POD for the ship. I totally disagree, but who am I? Certainly not one of the politicos making those decisions. Once again, the public has generally (if not completely) been left out of the decision-making process on this account. Where the cofferdam solution came from, I have no idea - or when, or anything. But, you can be assured that the current military establishment in Wash. DC could probably care less for what happens to the SHOWBOAT. I don't believe we've had a functioning naval contingency for a quarter century now, based on what I am able to read and see. When you have the non-leadership from the top on down, what do you expect?

I could go on, but what's the point? I hope, at some time soon, to learn that the NC Battleship Commission has actually had a Eurika Moment and decides to do the right thing, not the expedient, cheap thing. But, I'm not holding my breath. It's too important to spend millions of dollars in a ridiculous election of fools vs fools than put money towards the upkeep of a national treasure. Oh, but let's donate to promote the Blackbeard legacy and all that bullshit!

Comment

The cofferdam idea came from Battleship Alabama. Though Bama has a complete permanent cofferdam versus the small temporary cofferdams to be used on BB 55.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

I'm sure you would have a problem with me getting a few "volunteers from the local jail to help me build houses. Or Duke power using inmate labor to clear their(private) right of ways. Its the same thing.
                  Yeeeaaaaa volunteer was the wrong term. More like "you owe the state ex amount of dollars and you're gonna pay it off". This really goes for anything that should be done that no one is payed to do (just like the inmates doing trash collection on the roads). Just a pipe dream though since i'm sure that would be deemed inhumane by the ACLU .

Hopefully the NC crew can turn her around before she gets REALLY bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                    Yeeeaaaaa volunteer was the wrong term. More like "you owe the state ex amount of dollars and you're gonna pay it off". This really goes for anything that should be done that no one is payed to do (just like the inmates doing trash collection on the roads). Just a pipe dream though since i'm sure that would be deemed inhumane by the ACLU .

Hopefully the NC crew can turn her around before she gets REALLY bad.
                    I would raise hell about it. And I'm far from a ACLU liberal. No problem with inmates picking up trash, cutting grass along the Public (state) owned right of ways.

But when you want to use inmate labor to aid a private entity then I have problems.

if you cannot drum up enough support in the community, then maybe it needs to go away. Inmates aren't in prison to work on private pet projects

I don't think that the Government (State or Local) nor the US Navy should pay a dime for any of these privately ran museum ships. Groups got together and told the Navy that they would take the ship, and maintain it vice it being scrapped. If they cannot do it. If the public doesn't support the endeavor, then its time to close shop

Comment

I know I said this in here before, somewhere :whome: But....
                      Any more large museum ships, or the medium ones too should include being placed in coffer dams or a permanent dry dock!
                      Then they can place concrete cradles in place before moving the ship in. It seems we continue to "not" learn from previous mistakes! :bang: The USS Kidd is a nice example.
                      We need smarter and more assertive people involved in the acquisition of museum ships! Maybe MARAD could add a couple of things to the donation requirements and maybe even an intelligence test! We are lucky to have the cream of the crop on Slater and a ship that can easily (relatively) be dry docked when needed! I have the frustrating and firm belief that Salem should have been moved to the old dry dock #2 in Charlestown. They even still have the caissons for it in storage.
                      If they are going to build the coffer dam around NC and not even consider future requirements, then some people need that intelligence test!
                      I am not ignoring the money (cost) aspect. Where there is a will, there is a way!
                      As for the "volunteer" thing, these ships need crews! They need the crews that know how to keep these ships in shape! It is time for a re-awakening of the Navy vets in this country!

Comment

I would raise hell about it. And I'm far from a ACLU liberal. No problem with inmates picking up trash, cutting grass along the Public (state) owned right of ways.

But when you want to use inmate labor to aid a private entity then I have problems.

if you cannot drum up enough support in the community, then maybe it needs to go away. Inmates aren't in prison to work on private pet projects

I don't think that the Government (State or Local) nor the US Navy should pay a dime for any of these privately ran museum ships. Groups got together and told the Navy that they would take the ship, and maintain it vice it being scrapped. If they cannot do it. If the public doesn't support the endeavor, then its time to close shop
                        One thing to consider is that Duke Energy is a public utility and the right of ways are used to run power and gas lines. Maintaining these easements by trimming trees and other jobs helps keep energy flowing to customers like you and me.
                        Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                          One thing to consider is that Duke Energy is a public utility and the right of ways are used to run power and gas lines. Maintaining these easements by trimming trees and other jobs helps keep energy flowing to customers like you and me.

Public Utility but private, for profit, corporation. Those easements and right of ways are private property. Thats why they hire people to maintain them. And that's why its inappropriate for inmates to do that job.

The museum ships are all privately owned and operated. At no time would it be appropriate for inmates to be forced to work on them.

To add to what SlaterDoc said. If Navy Vets want to see these ships preserved, They need to step up and volunteer. I lived around Wilmington for half a lifetime. There is no shortage of vets in the area.

Comment

Public Utility but private, for profit, corporation. Those easements and right of ways are private property. Thats why they hire people to maintain them. And that's why its inappropriate for inmates to do that job.

The museum ships are all privately owned and operated. At no time would it be appropriate for inmates to be forced to work on them.

To add to what SlaterDoc said. If Navy Vets want to see these ships preserved, They need to step up and volunteer. I lived around Wilmington for half a lifetime. There is no shortage of vets in the area.
                            The United States does not force prisoners to work. And I agree with you no one should be forced to work. For the Iowa I would only ask for volunteers.

To your other point, I agree with you and SlaterDoc, I too would love to see more vets participate.
                            And with that in mind the Iowa is holding a "Veterans Appreciation Festival" on November 8th & 9th. If you are vet please come join us. I am including sponsorship info for anyone interested.

I am very proud of the fact that the Iowa has close to 3000 registered volunteers between Richmond and San Pedro and they have contributed almost 200,000 hours of labor since 2012.

Our volunteer force is the heart and soul of the operations, and without them we would not be the museum we are today. I am proud to include myself in their ranks, because even a board member is still just another volunteer.
                            Attached Files
                            Craig Johnson

Comment

Gun Grape wrote:

I dispute the first statement - museum ships are NOT privately owned - they are U.S. gov't property as they always have been; they are simply on loan to the private organization that won the bid to operate them as museums. Evidence USS OLYMPIA - unless maintained properly by the private group, the U.S.N. will take her and dispose of her. Same goes for all the others.

Re. the Wilmington, NC area having a sizable veteran population is probably a true statement. What's more important is that Wilmington is more interested in promoting the waterfront bars and taverns to the 3$$ bill crowd than the proper preservation of NORTH CAROLINA and making a true Military Park out of the area where the ship resides. The USS ALABAMA group has done a wonderful job of making her berth and adjacent land into a real military showplace. When I lived in Wilmington (76-87) I thought (and still do) that our state was wasting a really valuable asset in drawing tourists and promoting state and naval history - nothing's changed from what I can see.

I also agree that there needs to be a big push to "enlist" the support of former navy vets and also other vets to step up and volunteer - I know the 3 stateside IOWA museums have these programs in place; whether NC does or not, I can't say - I don't see much evidence that there is - but, hey - I could be wrong (I hope I am!!).

Comment

Just a thought, incarcerated trustees are not forced to work. They volunteer, to get out prison for the day. The idea of trustees volunteering to work on a battle wagon as form of service would not be a matter of force. Who would want an individual that is being forced to do anything? If that were the case one would have to worry about arson. Then one would have a real mess!

Comment

Working...
                                X