Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Drones killed 67 civilians since 2008'

BBC News - Pakistan says drones killed 67 civilians since 2008

Substantially lower than the estimates by some outside observers.

Originally posted by 1980s View Post
    BBC News - Pakistan says drones killed 67 civilians since 2008

Substantially lower than the estimates by some outside observers.
    I think more Pakistanis than that are killed in car bombings every week.
    sigpic

Comment

The full report by the Pakistan Defense Ministry can be viewed HERE

According to their statistics, US drone strikes have killed 67 civilians (3%) and 2,160 terrorists (97%) in 317 drone strikes since 2008.

Due to the huge discrepancy between this new report and numbers previously provided to him, UN Special Rapporteur Ben Emmerson has demanded an explanation from the Pakistani government.

Note: An additional 5 terrorists were killed in a drone strike this past week.
      sigpic

Comment

Due to the huge discrepancy between this new report and numbers previously provided to him, UN Special Rapporteur Ben Emmerson has demanded an explanation from the Pakistani government.

I hope he doesnt mind disappointment, because thats exactly what hes going to get from the Pakistani's side.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

To this day, no one has answered me why has not the idiot asked Pakistan why she did not defend her own airspace.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            To this day, no one has answered me why has not the idiot asked Pakistan why she did not defend her own airspace.
            Sir, defending their airspace would mean defending the Haqqanis, and the Pakistanis cannot afford to have their air force blown out of the sky by the USAF.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Captain,

We all know what the answer was a long time ago. My question was why didn't this idiot ask that question.

Comment

My question was why didn't this idiot ask that question.
                Well Sir, it's probably because such a pointed question does not advance his overall agenda.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                  Well Sir, it's probably because such a pointed question does not advance his overall agenda.
                  I forgot these are UN suits after all. Find the US guilty no matter what.

Comment

I asked the question in the Hakimulah Massod thread, I have the answer now.

I would like to reference again one of the Pakistani talk shows. It is in urdu, but will try to give the gist

There is absolutely no talk about any retaliation of any kind, not least because it seems that the PA is at least partly for the strikes. The hue and cry seems to be a civilian thing, meant to keep civilian tempers up. I am not sure why they do this as the GoP is making itself look bad.

On the other hand, there seems to be more or less consensus between the political parties that there would also not be any steps such as blocking of NATO supplies. There is Imran Khan's party PTI which is making these noises and have talked about shutting the NATO routes through KPK down. However, there seems to be a consensus that if the KPK government does that, it would be resisted by the Federal Govt.

The reason?

Pakistan is in an extremely fragile financial state and right now they cannot afford a financial confrontation with the US. They are very dependent on regular IMF loans. This may be in jeopardy and they would expect a run on the Pakistani Rupee, which would lead to rapid devaluation and massive inflation.
                    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Yep, I see Pakistani presidential elections soon!.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        Yep, I see Pakistani presidential elections soon!.
                        For their sake, I hope they can avoid it.

The Army, for the first time in its life, is giving the civilian government to take the lead. A very, very good decision. If the government succeeds, the Army can raise its moral profile home and abroad. If it fails, then the Army can come in and say , "see, we are better"

Regardless of the fact that he is as much of a sleazeball as others, Mian saab is a better choice to lead Pakistan than most at present.
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                        X