Israel's New Racism: The Persecution of African Migrants in the Holy Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
    Perhaps the biggest problem is the Israeli electoral process. I believe it is flawed and permits minority blocks to aggregate and wield far more collective power than they individually represent.
    Minnie,

Every electoral system has huge flaws in it.

We have a system that mitigates strongly against minor parties, at least in the lower house, where government is formed. The result is that each election tends to focus on a small handful of marginal seats. Granted, boundaries change and it isn't always the same seats, but in any given election the vast majority of voters get ignored. I have heard some people describe this as 'electoral apartheid'. A bit excessive, but there is a point in there somewhere. Our upper house gives much more scope to minor parties. They can force governments to amend legislation & even block it sometimes, but their power is limited when it comes to making & breaking governments.

We also have an often complex system of preferential voting which can create some perverse outcomes. In the case of the Upper house Senators have been elected with as little as .2% of the popular vote in their state.

Personally I think our system works well overall, though I would tinker with aspects. Others feel that something like Israel is far more democratic. Bottom line, there are always problems when you try to popularly elect governments. You fix one issue you create another. It comes down to which issues pertaining to representation you are more worried about.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
      Bigfella, I think the "out of bound markers" you are referring to are starting to get out-of-bounds.
      Sorry chanjyj, you'll have to be more specific.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        Sorry chanjyj, you'll have to be more specific.
        Referring to this:

Wasn't really directed at you Minnie. More of a comment on the way some people try to set boundaries on permissible opinion by setting up what Singaporeans call 'OB markers' (out of bounds). As it happens I agree on settlements.

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
          Referring to this:
          Got that, just wasn't sure what you meant. Was it just a pun?
          sigpic

Comment

Got that, just wasn't sure what you meant. Was it just a pun?
            No I'm quite serious. Dissent is rising and palpable.

Comment

OK, that is interesting. I guess the PAP can only rig the system and fob off dissent for so long. I have long thought that they sell their own nation short by insisting its people can't be trusted to fully participate in or even properly debate the running of the nation. I'd love to hear more detail. Might be worth its own thread.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X