Internet About to Get More Crowded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    Minskaya, as far as I know public proxy servers such as (click link) are no good for anonymity. You must be using an application other than a web based free proxy. Hidemyip?
    I have a variety of methods for personal sojourns on the web, but I am not all that interested in masking at the personal level so I rarely use these tools. On the other hand, my military and academic nets are isolated and secure.
    sigpic

Comment

I am an old school kinda' guy. Still use IRC from time to time. Over the years I have met some very interesting and intelligent people.

Btw, I had a feeling you know a lot more than you post. Confirmed now. I think I need to be scared.
      Lol. Back in the day I programmed a couple of fairly sophisticated bots (Quintessence/Stargate) to protect IRC chatrooms. I don't dabble in that stuff anymore. No time.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
        Lol. Back in the day I programmed a couple of fairly sophisticated bots (Quintessence/Stargate) to protect IRC chatrooms. I don't dabble in that stuff anymore. No time.
        Wow. And I was of the view that bots are only for compromising systems to act as zombies to kick-start denial of service attacks.

You must be an expert on perl/python. Respect.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Wow. And I was of the view that bots are only for compromising systems to act as zombies to kick-start denial of service attacks.

You must be an expert on perl/python. Respect.
          A bot can do many things depending on its program. For the IRC security bots, a friend of mine supplied the platforms and I supplied the iRCX scripts.
          sigpic

Comment

Sir, you shop, so I guess you have the right internet security software installed on your system, and also desist from visiting <ahem> popular sites.
            Yes, PayPal. :) I buy boring things like wood flooring from well known suppliers. :)

IRC. I remember it. Didn't know it was still around.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Btw, I had a feeling you [Minnie] know a lot more than you post. Confirmed now. I think I need to be scared.
              I could have told you that. She was testing you.:)

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                IRC. I remember it. Didn't know it was still around.
                It is. I wouldn't recommend using it though unless you know what you are doing (P2P connections etc). Most advanced military commands today utilize secure IRC chatrooms for C&C purposes.

Edit: Here is a public domain explanation of TC - Tactical Chat: How the U.S. Military Uses IRC to Wage War
                Last edited by Minskaya; 18 Oct 13,, 07:48. Reason: added edit
                sigpic

Comment

It is. I wouldn't recommend using it though unless you know what you are doing (P2P connections etc). Most advanced military commands today utilize secure IRC chatrooms for C&C purposes.
                  I am surprised the military uses it. I really have no reason to... I still have a membership number around somewhere. The WAB and Yahoo stock chat rooms are all I have time for.

Comment

I am surprised the military uses it. I really have no reason to... I still have a membership number around somewhere. The WAB and Yahoo stock chat rooms are all I have time for.
                    The military uses it extensively. See Post #22 Edit.

btw... WAB is a message board. Chat is instantaneous.
                    sigpic

Comment

btw... WAB is a message board. Chat is instantaneous.

Quite so. I still think of chat in the loose sense but I must remember to be more precise in your presence. :)

Comment

Quite so. I still think of chat in the loose sense but I must remember to be more precise in your presence. :)
                        Sorry JAD. Not meaning to be a nerd :)

I've done both (boards/chat) and although the end is similar (communication), the means are very different.
                        sigpic

Comment

Frankly,

They had to expand the addresses capabilities, but having TLDs this long, somehow denies their purpose, IMV.

As for scammers, there is always a way no matter what you do. Actually there is one 100% safe way. Kill that router
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I could have told you that. She was testing you.:)
                            Yeah! She scares me.
                            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I had a chance to go into cybersecurity/hacking in an earlier stage of my career when I was younger and did tried it out and was successful somewhat. But I quickly found that despite the glamorous connotations that hacking conjures up, it is really like kicking over an anthill only knowing that it will rebuild itself and you will accomplish nothing except a couple bits for your troubles and the fleeting gratification of destroying something. In short, hacking ain't what it is all cracked up to be. The perfect description for hacking is weapons of massive annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                                I had a chance to go into cybersecurity/hacking in an earlier stage of my career when I was younger and did tried it out and was successful somewhat. But I quickly found that despite the glamorous connotations that hacking conjures up, it is really like kicking over an anthill only knowing that it will rebuild itself and you will accomplish nothing except a couple bits for your troubles and the fleeting gratification of destroying something. In short, hacking ain't what it is all cracked up to be. The perfect description for hacking is weapons of massive annoyance.
                                Blade,

I understand the feeling of massive annoyance, as I dealt with it couple of times earlier. Particularly, w.r.t our neighbours. DDOS requires very little and selective skillset. :) Minnie knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X