Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wally World Diet (EBT Shopping Spree)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wally World Diet (EBT Shopping Spree)

Taken a look at the food left in the carts? The photography isn't that great, but generally, it looks it's all processed and reefer foods: butchered meats, boxes of crackers, ice cream, sodas, boxed meats, juices, milk jugs, bottled water, eggs, breads, boxes of sugary things, and so forth.

Didn't look like much in fruits (there were some here and there) or canned goods, but perhaps that wasn't in a camera angle for a later video showed a stock boy placing canned goods on a shelf. ON THE OTHER HAND, though, there is nothing to say that that image was actually associated with the event; I have come to learn often in the modern world, pictures and words don't match up one to one.

On this matter, though. I am more amazed by the choices people make in food than them going hog wild. Me, I am probably a product of who I am, but I think in such a situation, I would still buy to my nature, of raw supplies, canned, and economical frozen meats. Of course, I am an honest person; I would not take, take, take just because I could for sooner or later, I would suspect it would catch up with me.

Besides, the meats and spices at Wally world has never particularly impressed me. The spices are bland and the meats seemed watered. But, there is another thing to it.

I've learned to modify my tastes and food preps so to many, my supplies are not readly scarfable.

?????
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Let me see if I can clarify.

About the stock boy placing canned good on the shelf. That may not have been accurate illustration of the news story, hence what he was carrying may not have been what was being stolen. It may have just been, if you will excuse the pun, a stock video. I have come to learn that in the modern era of news reporting and documentary production, they tell you one thing but don't really care of the accuracy of the associated imagery. It's good enough if it is somewhere in the ball park.

So the "fact" that the video showed the potential that some people were stealing healthy foods (and discounting my line of thought) should not be taken as fact at all.

As far as the choices in food people did take such as crackers, ice cream, sodas, sugary things and so forth, I suspect it is a case that they have been conditioned, one way or the other, that this is what food is. To me, that's an extremely poor diet.

Now, on a side note, something that didn't occur to me till now, perhaps these buying choices are like the cargo of blockade runners in the late Civil War which were luxuries and not essentials. Maybe. Thoughts from Civil War buffs?

In any event, there are at least two advantages to my raw goods, far less processed food diet. First of all, I can get more food for the buck. Secondly, since my food choices are not quickly munchable to most people, it is the kind of stuff I can have on a community shelf with a good chance to it being there when I want to make myself a meal. Lentils, split peas, brown rice, and canned sardines in oil (a backup incase someone tosses out my olive oil) may not work for most people, but in a wok pot, it's a great meal for me.

One thing on the side note, not related to Wally World. For many, many years, I lived on buying whole wild cut salmon at $1.97-2.97/lb. I'd buy the whole fish minus head and guts, take it home, cut it into steaks, freeze it, and when I did get around to using it, that's when the spine and bones were removed from the fish.

These days, I have to special order but rather more search because it's not out there any more in the common market. Now the salmon comes in fillets, deboned, at anywhere from 2X to maybe 4 or 5X what I was paying for it. About the only equivalent price I have seen regularly is in canned.

Processed food, one way or the other, drives the price up.
      Last edited by Tamara; 30 Oct 13,, 07:56.

Comment

Working...
      X