Iowa grants gun permits to the blind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monash View Post
    Ye're but all but the most retarded can put gas in the tank and check the oil, water and tire pressure. And some of them shouldn't be allowed on the streets with anything more powerful than a bicycle but what can yo do?
    Part of the driving test should be changing a tire and checking the fluids at a minimum. I'd like to see the licenses yanked for stupid behavior but the states are hell bent on giving a license to anyone with a pulse. They don't even have to be American citizens anymore in many states.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
      Actually, many areas have laws in place to protect the law abiding citizen in that case. At least criminally, if not civil too. My state doesn't have said law so I'm not sure of specifics. Basically, if a death is caused during a crime you're committing, you're on the hook for that death as murder. Cop shoots your partner, you shoot the muggee, mugee shoots at you and hits nun on the corner - all tied to the criminal. (I am not a lawyer, I've got the gist of it)

As for me - I'm in Massachusetts, so yeah - you're right. But then again, my definition of a good shoot is, can I go to sleep at night knowing what I did? I'll go to prison to protect my kids - no problem. I'll feel sorry for missing my target but if it saves my kid then I'm ok with it. What comes into play is - are you willing to go to jail to protect someone else, or take the attitude that they should have armed themselves?
      Part of the problem that even in a "justified" shoot, some family member will come forth and profess how the criminal was such a good boy and you gunned him down for no reason at all. Even if you are in the right you still have to defend yourself in court and that isn't cheap.
      Good Samaritan laws don't apply to shootings. If (as the good guy) you shoot a bystander you will have to account for it and you will lose the civil case and possibly the criminal one too depending on how the scenario played out. Keep in mind that if you go to prison there is no one left to defend your family while you are away and once you get a felony conviction kiss your guns goodbye. The lesson...be very,very, sure if/when you pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        Part of the driving test should be changing a tire and checking the fluids at a minimum. I'd like to see the licenses yanked for stupid behavior but the states are hell bent on giving a license to anyone with a pulse.
        Substitute 'firearms' for 'cars' and you have my POV.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Part of the driving test should be changing a tire and checking the fluids at a minimum. I'd like to see the licenses yanked for stupid behavior but the states are hell bent on giving a license to anyone with a pulse. They don't even have to be American citizens anymore in many states.
          Why do they need to be American citizens? Why this insistence on citizenship to enjoy common privileges? Your idea would have the effect of creating second class citizens and that is never a good idea or policy in the first place.

Comment

That is par for the course for all countries.
            I don't know if we follow each other here, and want to make sure we do.

My point was that over here, many people will run on a flat tire and never notice. Oil? Changing it is as hard as fueling nuclear reactor.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              I don't know if we follow each other here, and want to make sure we do.

My point was that over here, many people will run on a flat tire and never notice. Oil? Changing it is as hard as fueling nuclear reactor.
              We are on the same page. Some people here are so stupid they can't read a gas gauge and routinely run out of gas. A few years ago there was really bad ice storm and literally several hundreds of card needed to be rescued. One lady was on the side of the road...out of gas. She had to wait hours to be rescued because the tow trucks rescued in the order they were called. She sued saying she should not have to wait so long. Turns out she routinely ran out of gas. The judge threw out the case and told the woman that if she can't read a gas gauge she should hand in her license.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                Why do they need to be American citizens? Why this insistence on citizenship to enjoy common privileges? Your idea would have the effect of creating second class citizens and that is never a good idea or policy in the first place.
                If you are not a citizen you are either a tourists or an illegal. Neither need a license. Throw in some that have work visas but those are a small number in comparison They can have a license. If you are in the country illegally you are not even a second class citizen as you are no citizen at all. If you want an American license and all the other privileges afforded the citizens....then jump through the hoops and be a citizen. Just like you would at most any other country. By giving illegals such things you are only encouraging even more illegals to enter.

Comment

If you are not a citizen you are either a tourists or an illegal. Neither need a license. Throw in some that have work visas but those are a small number in comparison They can have a license. If you are in the country illegally you are not even a second class citizen as you are no citizen at all. If you want an American license and all the other privileges afforded the citizens....then jump through the hoops and be a citizen. Just like you would at most any other country. By giving illegals such things you are only encouraging even more illegals to enter.
                  So driving is a right only applicable to citizens? Hmmm I wonder how you feel being treated like a second class citizen or non citizen when you go into another country. By the way, there are more than 12 million green card holders and that is not counting other work visa types.

I disagree with your contention. I say that you do not need to jump through the hoops and become a citizen to enjoy the privileges. To me, that is a very xenophobic view.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    So driving is a right only applicable to citizens? Hmmm I wonder how you feel being treated like a second class citizen or non citizen when you go into another country. By the way, there are more than 12 million green card holders and that is not counting other work visa types.

I disagree with your contention. I say that you do not need to jump through the hoops and become a citizen to enjoy the privileges. To me, that is a very xenophobic view.
                    Driving is a privilege not a right. Secondly, if I snuck into another country illegally I would not feel entitled to all the rights and privileges afforded the locals. If I planned on staying I would do whatever it took to do things the right way according to the new countries laws. I would also learn the language which would make things safer in a myriad of ways. To think I can sneak into another country and get a license, a job, be welcomed and treated like a local, expect the locals to learn my language, etc, is pretty asinine.

Comment

Actually, there is not much you can do about foreigners. All they need is International Driving License (or whatever it's called over there).

That ensures whoever holds it, can drive and must obey local rules.

Same goes for US citizens abroad.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        Actually, there is not much you can do about foreigners. All they need is International Driving License (or whatever it's called over there).

That ensures whoever holds it, can drive and must obey local rules.

Same goes for US citizens abroad.
                        That is sort of the problem. Many from Mexico never had a drivers license from their own country. In the U.S. A drivers license is also your I.D., to prove residency, to be able to cash checks, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                          Err... I can't make up my mind whether this is a good thing or bad. I mean if you are into collecting and that kind of thing fine but concealed carry in public? Why not issue the sight impaired drivers licenses as well?

Iowa grants gun permits to the blind
                          back to the original topic.

This is batshit crazy.

Blind people with guns. Not vision impaired, Blind.

Comment

Ye're I think I saw a photo of this gentleman linked to the article that started this thread. What can you say? If he is granted a license then no gun shop owner in the State can legally refuse to sell him any firearm he wishes to buy no matter what its effective range/power. Its just as well the Wright bothers and Henry Ford weren't around when the founding fathers were drafting your Constitution. If they were you'd be completely f#@%ed.
                            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              back to the original topic.

This is batshit crazy.

Blind people with guns. Not vision impaired, Blind.

OK. I am one of those who take literal meaning in the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd Amendment. I got nothing on this one....

On one hand, he DOES have a right to self defense. I still say that if he needs to shoot and hits an innocent, the blame should be on his attacker.

That said, I don't think this is a good idea. A lot of things are legal, doesn't mean that you should do them.

He does fit the picture I drew in my first post though, all except the poster. I wonder if.....................Ahhhhhh - now I'm blind!
                              "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

This guy shoots BETTER than many who can see. There is also the fact that when someone loses one of their senses the rest pick up the slack. The argument that people are using is that he MAY do this or MAY do that. the Constitution isn't written for what may happen but for what does happen. This guy is legally entitled to have a gun and he should be able to do so until PROVEN otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X