The Best Dr. Who Episode for.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    Blake's 7 only ran for 4 seasons. Sure there were changes, but I'm not really sure I get your point. Every show changes series to series. Obviously with a show that short you start from the beginning & bail out if you aren't enjoying it. I don't think any of the changes are too much to cope with if you enjoy the first series, though the last definitely isn't of the same standard. As with Dr Who, you take the rough with the smooth because overall it is great.

Also not sure what your point is with Jon Pertwee. Yes, he spent most of his time on earth. The stories are still great. The Master & UNIT are highlights. The interplay between the Doctor, the Master & the Brigadier involve some of the best writing in the history of the show. The various alien invaders are great too. UNIT serves roughly the same purpose then as it has ever since - to provide lots of guys in uniforms whose guns won't kill the bad guys & who therefore die like it is the first day of the Somme.

I didn't say the parts were equal, but the show did go through two major shifts of
    Spoiler!
    . Further, I have yet to get into second season but
    Spoiler!

UNIT in the Pertwee stories is a very minor command. Ie, as Sgt. Benton pointed out that since the Brigadier didn't have another officer, he was made a Warrant (as I recall, it's been decades since I saw that line). UNIT in the re-imaged series is HUGE.

As far as what I was getting to: we have a re-imaged show where those watchers of today come across the Doctor. They see someone who flies around to different planets, different times, and now we tell them to go back and watch Pertwee. They do and find out that the TARDIS is grounded, that he's trapped on Earth. Still lots of danger, weird things, but it is still Earth. If I came from the current re-imaged show and went back to watch that, expecting something similar, I might be disappointed.
    Last edited by Tamara; 04 Oct 13,, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
      I didn't say the parts were equal, but the show did go through two major shifts of
      Spoiler!
      . Further, I have yet to get into second season but
      Spoiler!
      ......OK.

UNIT in the Pertwee stories is a very minor command. Ie, as Sgt. Benton pointed out that since the Brigadier didn't have another officer, he was made a Warrant (as I recall, it's been decades since I saw that line). UNIT in the re-imaged series is HUGE.

As far as what I was getting to: we have a re-imaged show where those watchers of today come across the Doctor. They see someone who flies around to different planets, different times, and now we tell them to go back and watch Pertwee. They do and find out that the TARDIS is grounded, that he's trapped on Earth. Still lots of danger, weird things, but it is still Earth. If I came from the current re-imaged show and went back to watch that, expecting something similar, I might be disappointed.
      You are really over thinking this. In the context of what happens on Dr who every week the differences you have highlighted are conceptually insignificant. If you can't deal with a change in UNIT structure or the Doctor's grounding on earth for a while then I don't know how you can deal with the countless changes, plot devices, logical flaws etc. that litter the show. If you can enjoy the rapidly declining quality of the Davison & especially the Colin Baker years (even the people who made a lot of the Baker ones think they are crap) then I'm sure you can manage the dramatically better Pertwee episodes.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

......OK.

You are really over thinking this. In the context of what happens on Dr who every week the differences you have highlighted are conceptually insignificant. If you can't deal with a change in UNIT structure or the Doctor's grounding on earth for a while then I don't know how you can deal with the countless changes, plot devices, logical flaws etc. that litter the show. If you can enjoy the rapidly declining quality of the Davison & especially the Colin Baker years (even the people who made a lot of the Baker ones think they are crap) then I'm sure you can manage the dramatically better Pertwee episodes.
        Overthinking it is perhaps the best thing about any sci fi. For example, it the original Star Wars, when the Imperials are marching to stop the Falcon from take off, there appears to be two housewives in the background discussing recipes. I like that kind detail in a production because me dream of what their society is like, what life there is like, how people there might feel about each other, and so forth.

BUT......to each their own. I prefer my Doctors to be Bakers and Davison and less to be Pertwee and Tarrant. I'd rather watch Romana II than Sarah Jane. It's as simple as that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
          Overthinking it is perhaps the best thing about any sci fi. For example, it the original Star Wars, when the Imperials are marching to stop the Falcon from take off, there appears to be two housewives in the background discussing recipes. I like that kind detail in a production because me dream of what their society is like, what life there is like, how people there might feel about each other, and so forth.

BUT......to each their own. I prefer my Doctors to be Bakers and Davison and less to be Pertwee and Tarrant. I'd rather watch Romana II than Sarah Jane. It's as simple as that!
          As you wish, but you are denying yourself some of the best of Dr Who for fairly arbitrary reasons.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

As you wish, but you are denying yourself some of the best of Dr Who for fairly arbitrary reasons.
            That is your opinion, it is not mine.

I've watched several episodes of Pertwee, I've seen a few of Tarrant, sorry Troughton (but that does show how not impressed I was).

They just don't impress me.

I much prefer the Bakers and Davison.

Further, to each their own.

I've watched every episode of Dr Who that was available for broadcast as of several years ago. Recorded them all off TV. Since then I have been busily buying up the DVDs as they are released. Love the extras & commentaries. Especially nice to hear the voice of departed actors like Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith).

Me, I'm CHEAP! I bought up the entire season of Davison this week.................in VHS (same way I bought the first 2 season of Blake). I don't need the extra's, I really don't want to know what the players thought about the show UNLESS they are talking about how they achieved "the look in the part". I want to watch the show and be entertained.

But as I said, to each their own.
            Last edited by Tamara; 05 Oct 13,, 08:47.

Comment

Working...
            X