USS Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Texas

Is their any current information on the USS Texas after she began taken on water and listing?

Are they going to be taken her to drydock for proper repairs?

There are ongoing repairs occurring while the ship is in the water using cofferdams. As it is, the Texas would not survive a tow to a shipyard. The shipyard that repaired her in 1988 is gone and the closest drydock that can handle her is in Pascagoula, Ms and she barely survived the trip to Galveston in 1988. She was taking on a lot of water when she cleared that drydock and only had 6 inches to spare when she did.

One of the major structural focuses of the ongoing repairs is to frames under the engine rooms midships. Her frames look like swiss cheese (and I'm not talking about the intentional lightening holes) and couldn't support her weight, whether drydocked or dry-berthed. Dry berthing is still the long term goal.

Here's a recent update from TPWD
    Battleship Texas Project: Structural Repairs and Dry Berth - YouTube

Here's an article that is from May, but is still indicative of the current situation:
    USS Texas repairs underway, but that won't be enough - Houston Chronicle

There are pictures of the frames in the previous Texas thread:
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/bat...uss-texas.html

Comment

One would think, with the booming oil industry making billions, a few might step up to the plate and handle the construction of the dry berth. Drop in the bucket money for them and they could put up a large plaque on the dry berth extolling their contribution.

The weight of those triple expansion engines certainly doesn't do Texas any good.
      Last edited by tbm3fan; 30 Sep 13,, 21:07.

Comment

Yea but they need all those billions for chest thumping and such :confu:. It sucks cause they have more money then they could ever spend so it'd be nice if they would do that BUT if they would give to one museum what's to stop the others from bugging them about theirs and so on and so on.
        RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

I was always impressed with the Texas and her layout.

We used too (not so sure anymore) have Travis here that worked onboard the Texas that would give us periodic updates on her.

What I would like to know is if the armored "citidel" (broadway to us) ran the entire span between all 5 turrets and could they transfer shells/machinery/parts to all 5 turrets via the citadel.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            I was always impressed with the Texas and her layout.

We used too (not so sure anymore) have Travis here that worked onboard the Texas that would give us periodic updates on her.

What I would like to know is if the armored "citidel" (broadway to us) ran the entire span between all 5 turrets and could they transfer shells/machinery/parts to all 5 turrets via the citadel.
            Travis still works on the ship.

The citadel does not run between all 5 turrets. It is primarily on the second deck, begins at turret 2 and ends at turret 3. This is about 170' of the ship's length. It vertically extends down to the first platform forward, but not below the second deck aft. Its primary purpose is to protect the spaces above the boiler rooms containing critical machinery, such as uptakes, condensers, etc.

All ammo transfers occurred on the third deck. While 14' shells could be moved between magazines along its length, I doubt that it was done very often. Doing so required using 2 chain lifts to carry a shell tilted at an angle so that it would clear doors. My guess is that it would have been very difficult and dangerous for handlers to do when at sea and underway. However, the third deck was a busy place during action since secondary battery ammo was transferred between lower hoists traveling from magazines to the third deck and over to upper hoists that carried it up to the mounts.

Comment

More Leaks. . . .

From October 10th - Leaks confound staff of Battleship Texas - Houston Chronicle

And from today includes video of the current work going on with the wasted frames n such - Crews try to keep Battleship Texas in ‘ship shape’

& According to the second one, they just started a campaign to raise $75 Million (Is it just be or dose that seem like that will be a very difficult to obtain amount?!?)

Comment

I think they need Clark Griswold to go in there with some chewing gum lol. Hopefully they get the money though. Definitely needs a nice long REAL Drydock time instead of a mediocre cofferdam system.

Comment

Originally posted by Ctom3 View Post

The citadel does not run between all 5 turrets. It is primarily on the second deck, begins at turret 2 and ends at turret 3. This is about 170' of the ship's length. It vertically extends down to the first platform forward, but not below the second deck aft. Its primary purpose is to protect the spaces above the boiler rooms containing critical machinery, such as uptakes, condensers, etc.

All ammo transfers occurred on the third deck. While 14' shells could be moved between magazines along its length, I doubt that it was done very often. Doing so required using 2 chain lifts to carry a shell tilted at an angle so that it would clear doors. My guess is that it would have been very difficult and dangerous for handlers to do when at sea and underway. However, the third deck was a busy place during action since secondary battery ammo was transferred between lower hoists traveling from magazines to the third deck and over to upper hoists that carried it up to the mounts.
                  Thank You for the reply and please give Travis my regards and keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ctom3 View Post

By the way...Congrats on the 100th Birthday celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                      I think they need Clark Griswold to go in there with some chewing gum lol. Hopefully they get the money though. Definitely needs a nice long REAL Drydock time instead of a mediocre cofferdam system.
                      Considering that a Texas colleague told me that the state will be running a $2.5 billion surplus this coming year you would think they would want to help get the job done.

Comment

You'd think so but im sure it'll just go to things it shouldnt. Was looking at pics again of her resto and shes looking great hopefully they can keep at it.

Comment

New News Story (video) about the Texas.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=9416496

The part I find interesting is they say they will fire the forward turrets next month (undoubtably fireworks rather than an actual blank) Unfortunately I can't be there, I have a prior committment.

Comment

Man id love to go see that but thats a 19 hour drive :(.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              One would think, with the booming oil industry making billions, a few might step up to the plate and handle the construction of the dry berth. Drop in the bucket money for them and they could put up a large plaque on the dry berth extolling their contribution.

The weight of those triple expansion engines certainly doesn't do Texas any good.
                              No, but I do believe it is because of those triple expansion engines that the Texas is a historic piece, at least in one aspect.

Comment

Working...
                              X