Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: USS Texas

Regular
    The Battleship Texas Foundation is a very small organization. Maybe it's time to admit the problem is too big for them to tackle and bring in help. No disrespect to the BTF but this is a huge undertaking and the Texas appears to be headed to the point of no return.

I had to chuckle when the linked article mentioned the Texas contaminating the Houston Ship Channel. Anyone from Texas would laugh too.

Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
    I believe in fact Wisconsin and Iowa are required to keep the hulls in such a state that the vessels could be returned to service in an emergency, as unlikely as that is.
    You are correct. There are still Naval restrictions on those two ships. You can read them in detail in REVISION "B", Chapter 34 of my book.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Taxachusetts, somewhere between Boston and Wista
    On the Texas, would it help them if they removed some of the machinery in the main spaces to relieve the weight on the hull and frames? Not dispose of it, maybe it could be displayed ashore. My understanding is that part of the problem is the weight of the machinery on the century old structure.

Regular
    Hi Rusty. Big fan. In fact I just ordered your book! It's arriving on Monday (Revision B). I thought I recall you mentioning on these boards that all reactivation-related requirements had since been lifted on the Iowas, or were you only referring to the New Jersey and Missouri? On that note, wouldn't those requirements have ended in 2009 when Va took possession of the Wisconsin?

Thanks for being a great resource on these boards. I'm going on a cruise next week, and I can't wait to read your book out on the high seas.

Regular
    A few years ago the Legislature appropriated the funds to dry-dock the Texas but those funds ended up being used for repairs. Seems they just need to suck it up and spend the money needed to get the ship out of the water once and for all. I get angry that things like feral cats receive more money and attention in Texas than the historic ship. Really, no attention is paid to it except when something goes wrong and then it's quickly forgotten. Government funding is hard to come by in Texas but there is plenty of private money available if they can present a cogent plan and most importantly publicize it statewide and nationally. End rant.

Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
    Hi Rusty. Big fan. In fact I just ordered your book! It's arriving on Monday (Revision B). I thought I recall you mentioning on these boards that all reactivation-related requirements had since been lifted on the Iowas, or were you only referring to the New Jersey and Missouri? On that note, wouldn't those requirements have ended in 2009 when Va took possession of the Wisconsin?

Thanks for being a great resource on these boards. I'm going on a cruise next week, and I can't wait to read your book out on the high seas.
    Since I'm still alive for the next few months, I'm still in contact with the rest of the founding members of the Pacific Battleship Center and those restrictions apparently have not been lifted yet.

On another note (of restrictions) when LBNSY was being put up for closure and paved over for a container terminal, Congress passed a use restriction saying that any area that used to be DOD property shall never lease out any space to the China Ocean Shipping Company (COSCO). When the Port of Long Beach opened up their 214 acre "Parking Lot", their main customer was Hanjin.

Hanjin went bankrupt. Guess who is parking their containers there now?

Yup! COSCO. To hell with legal restrictions, just make money.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Thread Information