Afghanistan, US, China, India and Pakistan - A Genuine Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
    Sorry to barge in on your intellectual discourse but why do you think there's a miss allocation of capitals in this case? India's aid to Afghanistan stands at about USD 10.8 Billion as of now (over the course of a decade), to give context the centrally sanctioned expenditure for the food security bill and the right to education bill alone add up to about USD 58.2 Billion.

In fact, this years union budget has allocated about USD 20 Billion for various government funded civil programs, this alone is 20 times the annual expenditure allocated for Afghanistan.

Let's use your numbers, 1 billion on Afghanistan per year. According to this article 2013 Union budget of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India spends US$720 million for medical education and research and only USD 10 billion on education.

What does it say about your government's priorities?

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
      Not a referendum, but still a hell of a lot more say than any single one of their neighbours.

Indians get what they vote for. I wonder what makes you so concerned about India's "unproductive" spending.
      It's a pleasure to point out stupidity in government spending and it's double fun to see a bunch of internet users vehemently defend the government at a time their country is fiscally and economically screwed.

Your central bankers would appreciate that 10 billion hard earned USD.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
        Let's use your numbers, 1 billion on Afghanistan per year. According to this article 2013 Union budget of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India spends US$720 million for medical education and research and only USD 10 billion on education.

Well that would be true if only the center was responsible for all of education in India. The state governments have to foot the bill as well. In any case, to give you some perspective, ISRO's 'Mangalyaan' project has a budget of about USD 70 Million - to send a satellite to Mars, let this sink in. A USD 10 Billion budget for education will get you places in India. But it would be fair to say that more the money allocated for social causes, the better society Indians will get and as India's economy grows, so will the government's expenditure. Also, the central budget currently does not account for the funding sanctioned for implementing the 'Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act' - USD 38.2 Billion over the course of 5 years.

There are a lot of things wrong in India but this is not one of them.

Comment

That they want more doctors and nurses then anything else.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Well that would be true if only the center was responsible for all of education in India. The state governments have to foot the bill as well. In any case, to give you some perspective, ISRO's 'Mangalyaan' project has a budget of about USD 70 Million - to send a satellite to Mars, let this sink in.

There are a lot of things wrong in India but this is not one of them.
            Let what sink in? Your government underpaid your engineers. That's why all your smart people grab the first chance to leave for better opportunities in the west. Your government could've used that 10 billion USD to better pay your best engineers instead of pissing that in Afghanistan and beg for more H-1B slots (discussed in the same interview).

Comment

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Please don't!

Comment

Let what sink in? Your government underpaid your engineers.
                Do you even know how the Indian economic systems works or is it just going to be rhetoric and false passion? Why should the government start paying engineers?

That's why all your smart people grab the first chance to leave for better opportunities in the west.
                Um no...

A certain percentage (certainly more than what it should be) do go, but many (most) stay back. This is certainly true of the IIT/ IIM folks from my batch. And now I see a trend of people actually returning to India for research/ product engineering jobs, which were not there before. Fun fact, Indian bachelors in the US now find it difficult to get married, because young Indian women would actually stay back with their own jobs.

Your government could've used that 10 billion USD to better pay your best engineers instead of pissing that in Afghanistan and beg for more H-1B slots (discussed in the same interview).
                Again, why the hell should the government pay the engineers, that's the job of industry that is supposed to employ them. Does the Federal government start paying all MIT/ Harvard grads as soon as they step out of college or do they look for jobs?
                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                  Do you even know how the Indian economic systems works or is it just going to be rhetoric and false passion? Why should the government start paying engineers?
                  What he meant is the gov to create opportunities or to ease the doing biz.

From what I have read so far around here in various threads, India lacks in that field, hence why people move elsewhere. $10bn would surely help, but how can you help people that are not around? First they should come back.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    What he meant is the gov to create opportunities or to ease the doing biz.

From what I have read so far around here in various threads, India lacks in that field, hence why people move elsewhere. $10bn would surely help, but how can you help people that are not around? First they should come back.
                    I am pretty sure that's not what he meant, but let us give him the benefit of doubt. Human resource is something India has an abundance of, (it's getting wasted as of now!) there are initiatives both in the public as well as the private sector to improve the quality of education.

People emigrate because of a number of different reasons, .... well mostly better career opportunities and quality of life. I'm sure given enough time and economic development in India this brain drain will slowdown, it is already happening btw.

EDIT: I'm an Indian living in Canada, I should know right? :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                      Um no...
                      A certain percentage (certainly more than what it should be) do go, but many (most) stay back. This is certainly true of the IIT/ IIM folks from my batch. And now I see a trend of people actually returning to India for research/ product engineering jobs, which were not there before. Fun fact, Indian bachelors in the US now find it difficult to get married, because young Indian women would actually stay back with their own jobs.
                      Again, why the hell should the government pay the engineers, that's the job of industry that is supposed to employ them. Does the Federal government start paying all MIT/ Harvard grads as soon as they step out of college or do they look for jobs?
                      So the ISRO is not a government agency now? 70mil USD for a Mars exploration project? Either the BS of the century or the engineers are severely underpaid

Comment

EDIT: I'm an Indian living in Canada, I should know right? :Dancing-Banana:
                        Then it must be cold for you there

Comment

It's not the cold but the snow shoveling that hurts.

Comment

Cdude, I'll be happy to start an "India Sucks!" thread for you to rant in all day long if you promise not to derail all the other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
                              In 1965 indo-pak war, india lost a part of kashmir to pakistan and along with it a direct land route to afghanistan. This event in 65 was enough to expel india out of afghanistan forever. Whether this was foreseen strategic machiavellianism by china/pak or a coincidence, we don't know.
                              My brother it seems like you were sleeping throughout your history lectures or may be not even attended

As far as i know We have not captured any part of India ever,and in 65 war everything ended up with tashkent agreement

Kashmir was neither under india nor Pakistan until being declared a disputed territory

Comment

So the ISRO is not a government agency now? 70mil USD for a Mars exploration project? Either the BS of the century or the engineers are severely underpaid
                                Lets examine your sentences again.

Let what sink in? Your government underpaid your engineers. That's why all your smart people grab the first chance to leave for better opportunities in the west.
                                You said that all of our smart people are moving because of underpaid engineers. Are you now saying that the government should have recruited all smart people for ISRO instead of spending any money in Afghanistan? Also, even if we could get by paying only 70 Mn, we should pay them much more, else they will all migrate.
                                Is that the gist of your diatribe?
                                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X