Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 killed in twin fidayeen attacks in Jammu (India)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 killed in twin fidayeen attacks in Jammu (India)

In two attacks, one after another, on a police station at Hiranagar in Kathua district of Jammu and a military formation in the adjoining Samba district, bordering Punjab state, militants have killed four policemen and six Army personnel in the morning on Thursday. The attack, first of its kind in Jammu province in the last 11 years, has occurred ahead of the scheduled meeting between the Indian and the Pakistani Prime Ministers, Manmohan Singh and Nawaz Sharief, as also a UN General Assembly session in New York.

(PTI quoting Army officials in Delhi says all the three heavily armed militants have been killed during a fierce gunfight).

Official sources told The Hindu that three to four militants in combat uniform arrived at Hiranagar police station in an auto rickshaw 6:40 a.m. and trooped into the premises without facing resistance. They fired indiscriminately and lobbed hand grenades. Four policemen died in the attack, according to the preliminary reports awaiting formal authoritative confirmation.

Sources said that the militants also gunned down the cleaner of a truck and hijacked the vehicle alongwith its driver and drove away towards the national highway. One more civilian reportedly died in exchange of gunfire.
    More at: 12 killed in twin fidayeen attacks in Jammu - The Hindu

This attack comes right after the Indian Prime Minister announced that he would be meeting with the Pakistani Prime Minister at the UN - probably just a coincidence, since I doubt the attack was put together in less than a day after the Indian announcement.
    Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
    https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Originally posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
      This attack comes right after the Indian Prime Minister announced that he would be meeting with the Pakistani Prime Minister at the UN - probably just a coincidence, since I doubt the attack was put together in less than a day after the Indian announcement.
      The point?
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        The point?
        Musing about the timing of the attack ....
        Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah

Comment

Musing about the timing of the attack ....
          Then again, the point?

What if it has something with the visit, what if not?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Then again, the point?

What if it has something with the visit, what if not?
            You don't think the possibility of the attack being timed to impact potential rapprochement between India and Pakistan is an interesting point to ponder?

Comment

You don't think the possibility of the attack being timed to impact potential rapprochement between India and Pakistan is an interesting point to ponder?
              I am wondering what is your opinion.

You don't offer if it is either you believe it was timed, or not. How can we move from there?

Comment

I am wondering what is your opinion.

You don't offer if it is either you believe it was timed, or not. How can we move from there?
                Actually I did state that I thought the timing of the attack was a coincidence given that the Indians announced the possibility of a meeting between NS and MMS just yesterday. I don't believe that allows for enough time to perpetrate such an attack. It is possible that the attack was already planned and 'moved ahead' once the Indian announcement of a meeting at the UN was made public to deliberately impact potential rapprochement.

Comment

The announcement was only a day old but it was no surprise. The indications were there for a while now, and everybody was expecting the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    The announcement was only a day old but it was no surprise. The indications were there for a while now, and everybody was expecting the announcement.
                    I was thinking among same lines.

Was kind of keen to extract an opinion on why killing civilians would be linked to PMs meeting? Someone's agenda is jeopardized or there is something more?

Comment

Was kind of keen to extract an opinion on why killing civilians would be linked to PMs meeting? Someone's agenda is jeopardized or there is something more?
                      The attacks were on Indian Army soldiers and police, not civilians. Either way, the goal behind such attacks would be to allow the Indian political opposition and media to pressure the Indian government into cancelling the talks.

Comment

The attacks were on Indian Army soldiers and police, not civilians. Either way, the goal behind such attacks would be to allow the Indian political opposition and media to pressure the Indian government into cancelling the talks.
                        I realize that much. There is no cultural differences in that line of thinking ;)

My question was, is it for no talks at all, or no talks now? If it is no talks at all, then both armies should get rid of those elements, because at one point of time there will be talks. Sooner better then later.

If it is not now, does it imply that those who back this group, responsible for the attack, think their side is weak for successful talks?

Or there is something else?

Comment

My question was, is it for no talks at all, or no talks now?
                          No talks until India is sufficiently weakened in Kashmir.

How they plan to do that with an army which has drastically adapted to COIN with specialized battalions for that role (Rashtriya Rifles), and with a Kashmiri population which has grown tired and started to resent the insurgency, is beyond me.

Their best chance at defeating India in Kashmir was in the early to mid '90s. That window has long closed.

Or there is something else?
                          Well... there is the money too. A lot of folks on both sides of the border have made their riches off this insurgency. India and Pakistan have both pumped money into regional actors to support or counter the secessionist movement. Could easily be another incentive to keep the pot boiling.
                          Last edited by Tronic; 26 Sep 13,, 20:36.
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

the goal behind such attacks would be to allow the Indian political opposition and media to pressure the Indian government into cancelling the talks.
                            The fact that the Indian govt. would not feel any such urge by itself, after witnessing these attacks, speaks a lot about the current Indian govt. I guess. In any case, the PM and Chief Minister of Kashmir along with a few other politicians were falling over each other to say that the "peace talks" should go on. The Army and the families of the dead along with any Indian horrified and angry about these repeated attacks can just shut up and suck it up I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                              The fact that the Indian govt. would not feel any such urge by itself, after witnessing these attacks, speaks a lot about the current Indian govt. I guess. In any case, the PM and Chief Minister of Kashmir along with a few other politicians were falling over each other to say that the "peace talks" should go on. The Army and the families of the dead along with any Indian horrified and angry about these repeated attacks can just shut up and suck it up I guess.
                              Because talking would be the logical thing to do. You're just putting off something which will eventually be done anyways. It doesn't mean that the army cannot and will not hit back across the LoC. Why should talks have to take the hit? Let the politicians do their thing, and the military/intelligence agencies do their own.
                              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Working...
                              X