This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    I can't import a Russian car from Germany and pay 0% customs.

There is this thing called EUR1 document which shows the origin of goods. The tariff are by origin, not by place of the last departure.
    You obviously have no idea about "bussines" practice in Ukraine. Even Ukranian government have problems with respect of international agreements.

If you want Ukraine to become giant "duty free" zone, the answer from Russia will be big fat "No".
    Last edited by NUS; 25 Sep 13,, 15:31.
    Winter is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by NUS View Post
      You obviously have no idea about "bussines" practice in Ukraine. Even Ukranian government have problems with respect of international agreements.
      Brussels doesn't seem to have problem with that. They take the risk Russian goods to flood their market labeled as "Made in UA".

If you want Ukraine to become giant "duty free" zone, the answer from Russia will be big fat "No".
      It's not what I want. I surely want Ukraine to be prosperous. IMV, they have a chance to do that if they can persuade both EU and Russia. And if I were Ukraine faced with take it or leave it, I'd take the EU deal.

See, we have been in that position in the 90's. Greece closed the south border, sanctions closed the north one. We haven't bankrupted. Mainly because we had the east one open and the goods kept coming and going. Was hard, but wasn't the end of the world.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Slavic brotherhood in action,Dok
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Russians are mega-Slavs if we go by the account ;)

I only have best of wishes for Ukrainians. They are the smaller ones, so sympathies always go that way. If it can be arranged so all 3 see benefit from it, great. If not everyone with their luck.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Brussels doesn't seem to have problem with that.
            They will.
            Even despite the fact that current agreement left quotas on Ukranian goods in EU. I wonder if opposit is true.

It's not what I want. I surely want Ukraine to be prosperous.
            Then trust me, CU is much better partner. Nobody is going to allow free access to EU market for ukranian good, despite the words about "free trade".
            Winter is coming.

Comment

They will.
              Even despite the fact that current agreement left quotas on Ukranian goods in EU. I wonder if opposit is true.

Then trust me, CU is much better partner. Nobody is going to allow free access to EU market for ukranian good, despite the words about "free trade".
              It's not only a matter of allowance.I don't know the status of the Ukrainian industry,but competitivity is an issue.Usually the most competitive need free trade,while the less competitive need protection,until they grow stronger and smarter.
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

They will.
                How do you know that?

I guess it's the same every time. It was like that for us, Serbians, Bulgarians... EU opens the markets faster then we do our part. They do tax-free quotas, we do nothing, then they lift some of the fees, we lower the tariffs by low margin, then they open the market, we lower the tariffs a bit more. At the end we end with a completely free trade, where tariffs are 0% on both sides. But this happens before you enter in the EU.

It's not about a better or worse partner, it's about if they can get both agreements and the three sides see the benefit out of it. I see an opportunity, where on paper the Ukrainians are who will make the most of it. But the other 2 sides, CU and EU can explore opportunities, that's for sure. At least to me.

Comment

How do you know that?

I guess it's the same every time. It was like that for us, Serbians, Bulgarians... EU opens the markets faster then we do our part. They do tax-free quotas, we do nothing, then they lift some of the fees, we lower the tariffs by low margin, then they open the market, we lower the tariffs a bit more. At the end we end with a completely free trade, where tariffs are 0% on both sides. But this happens before you enter in the EU.

It's not about a better or worse partner, it's about if they can get both agreements and the three sides see the benefit out of it. I see an opportunity, where on paper the Ukrainians are who will make the most of it. But the other 2 sides, CU and EU can explore opportunities, that's for sure. At least to me.
                  Russia does not benefit if EU and Ukraine exploit the FTA Ukraine has with Russia.

You have no idea what is allowed into EU from Ukraine ergo Ukraine will get quotas for some commodities but on the whole its' goods will have more barriers to access EU markets while EU will get unfettered access.
                  Russia already allows Ukraine unfettered access but is slowly prodding it by saying it will end as soon as it enters into an EU "FreeTradeAgrement" because impact on Russia will be instant.

You cannot expect someone to continue to trade with you at their and their industrial detriment because it benefits you.
                  Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    It's not only a matter of allowance.I don't know the status of the Ukrainian industry,but competitivity is an issue.Usually the most competitive need free trade,while the less competitive need protection,until they grow stronger and smarter.
                    Or the less competitive stay weaker and dumber without competition. Protectionism can be a crapshoot at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                      Or the less competitive stay weaker and dumber without competition. Protectionism can be a crapshoot at times.
                      Everything in this universe has upsides and downsides.Depends how you use them.US in 19th century played protectionism against Britain the smart way.Germany did the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                        Russians west of the Urals have long considered themselves as part of the European community. But Russian ideologue's have long considered (and in some cases rightfully so) Europe to be a potential threat to the empire. Ukraine and Belarus have traditionally been viewed as buffer states between Russia proper and Europe. A westernized Ukraine aligned with the EU would bring Europe (European economics, social values, etc) right to the very border of the Russian Federation.
                        Traditionally, these Russian idealogues weren't concerned with European social values invading Russia, as much as European armies. Ukraine, by its very name, was supposed to be buffer land to keep French, German and Polish armies away from the Russian heartland. This thinking is probably obsolete now that Russia faces no major army marching east, but my guess is that Russia is still jilted by NATO's rejection in the 90s and subsequent bullheaded foreign policy by GW Bush. This is why the cold war "us vs them" mentality lives on.

Comment

The EUAA conference will be held on 28 November. I tend to think the EU will sign regardless of the status of Tymoshenko. Their underlying motive is probably the vast agricultural potential of Ukraine. What they don't seem to appreciate (or simply ignore) is that President Viktor Yanukovych is incompatible with both the European Union and Vladimir Putin. Yanukovych is neither Westernized nor altruistic. He needs this agreement to avoid an economic meltdown and salvage his corrupt regime.
                          sigpic

Comment

A good article about the demographics of a Russian Eurasian Union; WINDOW ON HEARTLAND

Comment

It is my understanding that Yulia Tymoshenko will not be pardoned, but she will be transferred to Germany for additional 'medical care'. In effect, an exile which will satisfy the EU. Ukraine will indeed sign the EU free trade association agreement (EUAA) next month in Vilnius. This is considered a critical step in Ukraine becoming a member of the European Union.

In other news, Ukrainian journalists are complaining that EU visa restrictions on Ukraine are unrealistic and counterproductive. On a recent trip to Brussels, Ukrainian journalist visas were only good for two days for an extremely topical event - “Integration of Ukraine with the EU”. The EU has insisted that Ukraine switch to biometric passports, and such legislation is currently under discussion in the Ukraine parliament. The president of Lithuania is pushing hard for the EU to grant a visa-free regime for Ukraine. Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovich has stated that he considers visa free travel with the EU as important as the free trade agreement. He also noted that the EU planned to relax visa requirements with Russia to accommodate the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
                              sigpic

Comment

I don't follow.

I thought biometric passports are a must to get on the Shengen's white list (no visas).

On one hand Ukraine still has "old", "unsecure" passports, yet on the other they are so vocal to lift the visa barriers?

To make sure I am not misunderstood, I personally feel that visas are non-sense. Those for whom the visas are intended are already in. We had the same case.
                                According to our experience, after the visas are lifted, next thing is people will seek asylum in EU. Mega-fail, since, again, to be on the white list, the country should fit certain political and economical criteria.

Comment

Working...
                                X