College Football 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 2013

Season's in full swing today. My Big Ten is gettin' small. My Badgers just got royally hosed out in Tempe tonight in the most inexplicable fashion I've yet seen-

Stave was down. Photo shows the knee. Doesn't matter. He can yield right there. Idea was to center the ball for a winning fieldgoal while having the team about where they'd need to be in order to line up and spike the ball.

Good play with plenty of time. Simply beyond the acumen of the referee crew.

Again.:bang:

Shades of the 2012 Rose Bowl against the fcukin' Ducks.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Originally posted by S2 View Post
    Season's in full swing today. My Big Ten is gettin' small. My Badgers just got royally hosed out in Tempe tonight in the most inexplicable fashion I've yet seen-

Stave was down. Photo shows the knee. Doesn't matter. He can yield right there. Idea was to center the ball for a winning fieldgoal while having the team about where they'd need to be in order to line up and spike the ball.

Good play with plenty of time. Simply beyond the acumen of the referee crew.

Again.:bang:

Shades of the 2012 Rose Bowl against the fcukin' Ducks.
    Running plays are always dangerous at these times. Spike the ball, throw it away, take a quick strike in the end zone, anything would have been better than just placing the ball on the ground after a perceived running play. The officials didn't see a knee and nor would anyone else that saw the clip. If anything that was a fumble/turnover. Chalk it up to a learning experience for the QB.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

bonehead Reply

"The officials didn't see a knee and nor would anyone else that saw the clip. If anything that was a fumble/turnover. "

The backjudge signaled it was down. End of that story.

The reason for the play was simple...but critical. The ball, with 18 seconds, has plenty of time to be centered between the hashes, whistled live and snapped for a spike and on comes the field goal team. Why? Kicker needed all the help he could get.

The play was a correct choice. That we were permitted to run only one play in eighteen seconds was a travesty. Smart fans understanding the rules would get it.

Others?

Not so much.

Finally, nothing (of course) prevented the refs from checking the replay, spotting the ball and putting it back in play. Instead, the refs RUN off the field like frightened schoolchildren. Sad.

We were jobbed by your shitty refs. That's obvious.
      Last edited by S2; 15 Sep 13,, 19:06.
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"The officials didn't see a knee and nor would anyone else that saw the clip. If anything that was a fumble/turnover. "

The backjudge signaled it was down. End of that story.

The reason for the play was simple...but critical. The ball, with 18 seconds, has plenty of time to be centered between the hashes, whistled live and snapped for a spike and on comes the field goal team. Why? Kicker needed all the help he could get.

The play was a correct choice. That we were permitted to run only one play in eighteen seconds was a travesty. Smart fans understanding the rules would get it.

Others?

Not so much.

Finally, nothing (of course) prevented the refs from checking the replay, spotting the ball and putting it back in play. Instead, the refs RUN off the field like frightened schoolchildren. Sad.

We were jobbed by your shitty refs. That's obvious.
        Come on S2 tell me how you really feel. In the mean time, I doubt Wisconsin will get cute with a few remaining seconds in the game and gamble like that again. Yes a running play with that little time remaining and no time outs is a gamble. That will save a heartbreaking loss later on. I also bet that the next time the QB takes a knee he wont be afraid of getting his uniform dirty.
        I am always an advocate of punishing/removing refs who are biassed and/or incompetent and believe the NCAA should have a better system in place for such instances. Until then it is what it is.

Comment

"In the mean time, I doubt Wisconsin will get cute with a few remaining seconds in the game and gamble like that again..."

It's not about "...cute...". The need to center the ball for OUR kicker was there. How could you know his skill? You're a Duck fan. So why did you assume "...cute..."? It's not a gamble. Risk? Maybe, but only if the refs display the incompetence shown last night. That ball was down with 16 seconds left. Two seconds run off the clock. Why should I assume spiking the ball and kicking a field goal would take more? This is major college football and it's done that way a lot. I'd presume you know that. Your assumptions, therefore, seem pretty damned weak. Unless playing a Pac 12 team on the road.

Now...here's the kicker. How is it that Pac 12 officials so well-versed in the high-tempo spread attack could flawlessly facilitate ASU getting off 90 snaps from scrimmage yet inexplicably fumble managing down, distance and clock when it mattered for UW? How is it that ASU garnered a sum total of three five-yard procedural penalties but EVERY subjective call (holding, P.I.) went against Wisconsin?

Finally, nothing wrong with replay (unless you're an Oklahoma fan playing Oregon) to set things straight. A referee conference, even a video review and get it right. Instead, those refs RAN for the locker room like frightened children...in a friendly stadium no less. The Rose Bowl against Oregon. Oregon State last year.

Now this. Not good for college football. Not at all.
          Last edited by S2; 16 Sep 13,, 06:58.

Comment

I have no idea why the QB didn't spike or take an obvious knee. I've never seen anything like that in either collegiate or pro ball.

However, I agree that the officials handled this very poorly. They should have called an officials timeout, conferred and arrived at a consensus, explained their consensus publicly, and checked the video to reset the game clock.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              I have no idea why the QB didn't spike or take an obvious knee. I've never seen anything like that in either collegiate or pro ball.

However, I agree that the officials handled this very poorly. They should have called an officials timeout, conferred and arrived at a consensus, explained their consensus publicly, and checked the video to reset the game clock.
              The officials didn't think they needed to do anything else so they didn't. There is no question that it was a bizarre play. There was also no question that many who saw it thought it was a legitimate fumble and it was actually ASU's ball and game over.

Comment

I watched the clip 4 times, in slomo on the 52in TV.

Saw him squat down and place the ball then back away from it. Never saw the knee touch anything.

Comment

"In the mean time, I doubt Wisconsin will get cute with a few remaining seconds in the game and gamble like that again..."

It's not about "...cute...". The need to center the ball for OUR kicker was there. How could you know his skill? You're a Duck fan. So why did you assume "...cute..."? It's not a gamble. Risk? Maybe, but only if the refs display the incompetence shown last night. That ball was down with 16 seconds left. Two seconds run off the clock. Why should I assume spiking the ball and kicking a field goal would take more? This is major college football and it's done that way a lot. I'd presume you know that. Your assumptions, therefore, seem pretty damned weak. Unless playing a Pac 12 team on the road.

Now...here's the kicker. How is it that Pac 12 officials so well-versed in the high-tempo spread attack could flawlessly facilitate ASU getting off 90 snaps from scrimmage yet inexplicably fumble managing down, distance and clock when it mattered for UW? How is it that ASU garnered a sum total of three five-yard procedural penalties but EVERY subjective call (holding, P.I.) went against Wisconsin?

Finally, nothing wrong with replay (unless you're an Oklahoma fan playing Oregon) to set things straight. A referee conference, even a video review and get it right. Instead, those refs RAN for the locker room like frightened children...in a friendly stadium no less. The Rose Bowl against Oregon. Oregon State last year.

Now this. Not good for college football. Not at all.

I know you are upset but 2012 Rose bowl was Oregon..not Oregon state. However it does show a pattern. Wisconsin has poor time management skills in big games. Lining up and trying to spike the ball with 2 seconds? really? A time out would have been handy huh?

The play was cute because a lot was risked for very little reward. It was also cute because the QB didn't want to get his uniform dirty and take an obvious knee. Just putting the ball down made everybody go WTF? and that cost precious time. Yes S2 I watch a lot of college football. Aside from taking an obvious knee the overwhelming types of plays are passing plays because everyone else knows that running plays can take a lot of time off the clock and you risk not having enough time for the next play.

I really am not buying the need to center the ball for the kicker. We are not talking 50 yarders. I was not a kicker but I could chip the ball in from 13 yards in high school....been there done that. If Wisconsin's kicker is really that inept it is time to spend a scholarship and find a kicker that can. He nailed a 34 yarder earlier in the quarter so what was the worry?

No we both have seen a lot of games. When things get tight it is always easy to blame whatever happened last. Some times the calls go your way and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and then sometimes not. That is just the game and not much can be done about it. That is why you put teams away early and don't let them come back. If you let lesser teams stay close you risk something bad happening and you could end up losing. Wisconsin could have won that game earlier but their defense got soft in the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    I watched the clip 4 times, in slomo on the 52in TV. Saw him squat down and place the ball then back away from it. Never saw the knee touch anything.
                    There was no spike, no knee down, and I detected no contact by an ASU player.

If I was officiating that play on the field or reviewing it in the booth, I would have considered it a live ball which was recovered by ASU.
                    sigpic

Comment

I know you are upset but 2012 Rose bowl was Oregon..not Oregon state."

Read more closely. I mentioned Oregon AND Oregon State. Even highlighted in red and underlined the link.

The quarterback's knee was down. THE WHISTLE had blown. So those questioning this part are missing the point. The OFFICIALS recognized the play was over. It doesn't matter that you don't.

"I really am not buying the need to center the ball for the kicker. We are not talking 50 yarders."

Yeah...again you don't matter. Your cannon leg isn't being wielded out there. Kyle French was expected to take the try and he's had a tough career so far. 18 seconds is a lifetime. Only two of those seconds elapsed before the whistle blew stopping play. That should have left 16 seconds to snap, spike, stop the clock and get the field goal team out there. Done all the time...except on the west coast.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by S2; 16 Sep 13,, 19:09.

Comment

[ATTACH]33931[/ATTACH]
                        A much better camera angle. His knee is clearly down in this still frame. Under collegiate football rules, when a knee of the ball carrier touches the ground the play is officially over.
                        sigpic

Comment

bonehead Reply

"...There was also no question that many who saw it thought it was a legitimate fumble and it was actually ASU's ball and game over..."

But they'd be wrong. Very, very wrong. Back Judge saw the play and blew the whistle. The ball was down. Control of the moment was lost when the ASU player jumps on the ball. Nothing stopped that crew from taking a moment and gathering their wits.

They chose otherwise.

Comment

Guess the Pac 12 sees matters similarly to UW-

PAC 12 Reprimands Refs

Comment

I like this thread. I have no clue what the rules are, yet I understand you loud and clear.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X