America's Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Cup

I've been hanging off making predictions and comments on this because there's been a lot of variables and possible explanations as to why the racing has thus far gone the way it has, but I think one by one those explanations have been knocked down.
    It's not crew, they are all professionals and the best in the business. It's not tactics, the switch of the Oracle tacticians produced exactly the same result and again, they're all professionals. It's not luck, you don't go 6-1 up by luck.

Design, design, design.

Pre regatta when the boats first took to the water much comment was made over the thoroughbred look of Oracle, thin, fined down, light bowed, highly tuned.
    Aotearoa on the other hand was compared to a Massey Ferguson (tractor), heavy in the bow, weightier, amateurish.

What we've seen of course is Oracle bury her leward bow ever time she tacks, come down off her foils and loose 5 - 10 seconds through every tack. the Aotearoa crew have become so proficient they can now regularly foil through the tack and only loose half the speed Oracle do.

Design, design, design.

Awesome sailing. I used to feel thrilled doing 7 or 8 knots in a keeler. These guys will hit 50 sometime soon.
    Attached Files
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

I watched the racing the other day and when I saw it come out of the water I thought it would take off. Great racing and was fun to watch.

Comment

This gives a much better view of how she's rigged and those 'heavy' bows

Attached Files

Leibniz

Comment

And here's Oracle showing the much smaller bows with corresponding foil style

Attached Files

Leibniz

Comment

I had no idea those things rode on hydrofoils at speed. So, what's the theory behind having only three 'foils in the water at a time? Reduced drag?
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            I had no idea those things rode on hydrofoils at speed. So, what's the theory behind having only three 'foils in the water at a time? Reduced drag?
            The two aft ones aren't foils, they're rudders. They do have a small asymmetrical wing on the base of them though to act as a stabilizer, to prevent the boat rocking or tipping fore/aft on the foil.
            Unless they're running directly down wind, the boat is totally supported by just the one foil while the other is pulled up clear of the water.

Here's a shot where they overdid it showing the windward rudder totally clear of the water. Not optimal

Attached Files
            Last edited by Parihaka; 13 Sep 13,, 03:16.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              The two aft ones aren't foils, they're rudders. They do have a small asymmetrical wing on the base of them though to act as a stabilizer, to prevent the boat rocking or tipping fore/aft on the foil.
              Unless they're running directly down wind, the boat is totally supported by just the one foil while the other is pulled up clear of the water.

Here's a shot where they overdid it showing the windward rudder totally clear of the water. Not optimal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33816[/ATTACH]
              Yeah. Tell me no one needed a new pair of underwear after that.

After being caught cheating I can't back oracle. Hoping the kiwis continue to roll. I do miss the single hull designs of yesteryear.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I can tell you now, living in the Bay Area, that most are rooting against Larry, I mean Oracle. Actually most can't stand Larry so anything that slaps him down a notch will be greatly appreciated. It is too bad he had to represent the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                  Yeah. Tell me no one needed a new pair of underwear after that.
                  After I posted that the boys got a bit more carried away

The last couple of races have been awesome. Oracle made some dramatic changes to their foils and bowsprit plus sheer balls-to-the-wall sailing on their part in high winds saw them take two races in a row. Great match racing, plus an Americas Cup record for number of times the lead changed in a single race. Coolness.
                  Attached Files

Leibniz

Comment

Two sensational races

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                      After I posted that the boys got a bit more carried away

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33939[/ATTACH]

The last couple of races have been awesome. Oracle made some dramatic changes to their foils and bowsprit plus sheer balls-to-the-wall sailing on their part in high winds saw them take two races in a row. Great match racing, plus an Americas Cup record for number of times the lead changed in a single race. Coolness.
                      Oracle had nothing to lose by making some changes so late in the match. Looks like they guessed right.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

It seems counterintuitive that in order to go faster the sail must be close as possible to being parallel with the wind. How does a boat travel faster than the wind? I need a layman's answer not technical gobblygook. My brain is tired from thinking too much on law stuff.

Comment

F=ma

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            F=ma
                            I said laymans terms not math gobblygook stuff. My brain is too tired to think hard

Comment

The sails are wings and sorry but yes F=MA. Hint: the greater the sail area, the greater the force.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X