Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    Not to mention a brilliant British tactician
    As with tech being the main theme it also has nothing to do with one national team versus another. What made the American team American and the Kiwi team Kiwi? Other than the grunt work done by the sailors it was Oracle and Emirates with the bucks.

Comment

It was edge of seat watching and great to see the how advanced these craft have become. I would gladly pay to have a trip around the Bay on one.

Comment

Not to mention a brilliant British tactician
        Which further diminishes the competition in my view. No disrespect to the UK or your fellow countrymen, but who cares? Has far as I'm concerned they ought to go back to wooden hulls and crews made up solely of citizens from the countries defending the Cup or mounting the challenge. Prove their real skill as sailors that way, and not merely as a bunch of people minding the computers that are doing all the real thinking and even much of the scut work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
          Which further diminishes the competition in my view. No disrespect to the UK or your fellow countrymen, but who cares? Has far as I'm concerned they ought to go back to wooden hulls and crews made up solely of citizens from the countries defending the Cup or mounting the challenge. Prove their real skill as sailors that way, and not merely as a bunch of people minding the computers that are doing all the real thinking and even much of the scut work for them.
          Perhaps the sailing race commission should enact the sort of rules that NASCAR or Formula One took to prevent too much of a technological edge. But like car racing, in the sailing world, it is all about pushing the envelope.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
            I agree wholeheartedly...Plus American Team should be American...New Zealand Team should be crewed by New Zealanders. When I watched the race a few days ago I was surprised to see a Brit (Ainsley) and an Aus (Spithill) and I thought then, and mentioned it to others, that it took the shine off the race and the competition. We have the same in our England Cricket Team. If you look at the members of the 30-strong England Performance Squad named for the 2013 international summer, no fewer than eight were South African by birth.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly...Plus American Team should be American...New Zealand Team should be crewed by New Zealanders. When I watched the race a few days ago I was surprised to see a Brit (Ainsley) and an Aus (Spithill) and I thought then, and mentioned it to others, that it took the shine off the race and the competition. We have the same in our England Cricket Team. If you look at the members of the 30-strong England Performance Squad named for the 2013 international summer, no fewer than eight were South African by birth.
              What can I say? It is a global village, after all. It must be true 'cuz the One said so.

Comment

Working...
              X