America's Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
    You know, I used to give a shit about the America's Cup, having lived most of my life in either San Diego or Newport, Rhode Island, it was kind of hard not to. However, with each successive challenge the technology has come to dominate things in my view, rather than real skill at seamanship; the computer system you mention being yet another example. Why don't we take the man out of the equation altogether?
    Because it wont get the attention. Only humans can make some cluster******s and no machine can replicate or even predict them.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Because it wont get the attention. Only humans can make some cluster******s and no machine can replicate or even predict them.
      It's not getting any attention now, even with the "historic comeback." There are no real "personalities" in this thing, like Ted Turner, or San Diego's Dennis Conner, who was an acquired taste, even for a native San Diegan like me. It's bland, mechanized, and frankly boring. Much like a lot of what I used to do for a living (and the defense of my country).

Comment

My comment was mainly we don't see robots racing, or computers playing chess... simply because it's plain boring.

Much like F1. Whenever I wanna have a nice Sunday 2pm nap, I switch to it, see the start, have a nap (the monotone noise is great for falling a sleep) and then wake up to see the finish. I have watched entire race, plus I am fresh ;)

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          My comment was mainly we don't see robots racing, or computers playing chess... simply because it's plain boring.

Much like F1. Whenever I wanna have a nice Sunday 2pm nap, I switch to it, see the start, have a nap (the monotone noise is great for falling a sleep) and then wake up to see the finish. I have watched entire race, plus I am fresh ;)
          Man, you need some NASCAR to keep you awake. Totally different kind of racing, and trust me, a totally different kind of crowd watching it. That's part of the show in itself! ;)

Comment

Didn't see that coming.

And like the good captain said, the AC meant something back in the days of Captain Outrageous...now, meh.

One of my favorite memories of the AC came far from water. When I was in the Infantry Office Advanced Course is was right after the Ozzies had won it for the first time. We had an Australian Army major as a staff instructor in tactics. In our first lecture from him he started with the lights dim (200 man classroom) and we started to hear the theme song from JAWS over the speakers. Then on these 40 foot screens flashed big white letters on a black background JUST WHEN THE YANKS THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK INTO THE WATER! and the the picture flashed to the Ozzie secret weapon....the winged keel sticking out of the water like a sharks fin. We had a good laugh.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Didn't see that coming.

And like the good captain said, the AC meant something back in the days of Captain Outrageous...now, meh.

One of my favorite memories of the AC came far from water. When I was in the Infantry Office Advanced Course is was right after the Ozzies had won it for the first time. We had an Australian Army major as a staff instructor in tactics. In our first lecture from him he started with the lights dim (200 man classroom) and we started to hear the theme song from JAWS over the speakers. Then on these 40 foot screens flashed big white letters on a black background JUST WHEN THE YANKS THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK INTO THE WATER! and the the picture flashed to the Ozzie secret weapon....the winged keel sticking out of the water like a sharks fin. We had a good laugh.
              It was that damned keel that started the slide, and here we are with freaking catamaran's for Christ's sake. It's like watching Joe Shittheragman on any weekend on San Diego's Mission Bay. Seriously, I didn't even know who retained the cup and who was challenging until things got "interesting." Oracle may have won, but I don't begrudge our Antipodean friends for believing they got jobbed. Too many weird things going down, and like most people in the military, I don't believe in coincidences.
              Last edited by desertswo; 26 Sep 13,, 21:01.

Comment

Man, you need some NASCAR to keep you awake. Totally different kind of racing, and trust me, a totally different kind of crowd watching it. That's part of the show in itself! ;)
                Hmmm... don't you guys have hockey for that?

Anyway, from motorsports I am more of a WRC / Moto GP / WTCC spectator.

Comment

Dok,

He's from SAn Diego...the only thing he knows about ice is what he puts in a cocktail!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Dok,

He's from SAn Diego...the only thing he knows about ice is what he puts in a cocktail!
                    Keep me in Margaritas on the rocks and I'm yours for life!

However, please allow me to add that I lived in Newport for six years and another three in Northern Virginia. I do know a little bit about ice, other than keeping my drinks cold. ;)

Comment

It's not getting any attention now, even with the "historic comeback." There are no real "personalities" in this thing, like Ted Turner, or San Diego's Dennis Conner, who was an acquired taste, even for a native San Diegan like me. It's bland, mechanized, and frankly boring. Much like a lot of what I used to do for a living (and the defense of my country).
                      It it quite the rich man's sport. Put a cap of 100K on the boat and give the other 99% a shot at playing the game... interest will pick up. Even if people tune in to see all the sailors who think they can sail.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        It it quite the rich man's sport. Put a cap of 100K on the boat and give the other 99% a shot at playing the game... interest will pick up. Even if people tune in to see all the sailors who think they can sail.
                        That's actually quite correct. Dennis Conner was not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I believe he had a family owned upholstery business. He had to hustle to raise money back in the 80s just to help mount a challenge. The fact that he was successful had more to do with his actual skill on the water than in gripping and grinning. Like I said, he was an acquired taste at best, although he was successful at that too.

Comment

That's actually quite correct. Dennis Conner was not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I believe he had a family owned upholstery business. He had to hustle to raise money back in the 80s just to help mount a challenge. The fact that he was successful had more to do with his actual skill on the water than in gripping and grinning. Like I said, he was an acquired taste at best, although he was successful at that too.
                          I liked him. The press liked to paint him evil here but the man could sail.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            I liked him. The press liked to paint him evil here but the man could sail.
                            Exactly!!! He was a hell of a sailor!! And that's what this event should be about; the skill of the crews and not the sexy technology. Like I said, it used to mean something to me. Now, I barely notice, and had "the big comeback" not become something of an issue, I wouldn't be talking to you about this now.

Comment

Exactly!!! He was a hell of a sailor!! And that's what this event should be about; the skill of the crews and not the sexy technology. Like I said, it used to mean something to me. Now, I barely notice, and had "the big comeback" not become something of an issue, I wouldn't be talking to you about this now.
                              My interest in this event was spurred by the technology, all that mass and force supported in the water by nothing more than a skinny wee foil. Even Oracles stabilization software is fascinating, but you are quite correct, it has nothing to do with a sailing competition. It was a technology show, pure and simple.
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                                NZ losing & an Aussie skippering the US boat finally got this story into the news here.
                                Not to mention a brilliant British tactician

Comment

Working...
                                X