• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine, you are one sick bastard.

Comment

Mihais,

You are still ducked, mate?
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Why? I don't smoke and I don't live in the WH.My personal life is just that. ;)
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
          My personal life is just that. ;)
          Ducked.

Comment

I've encountered a lot of amazement and wonder about the "Air Defense Response" during 9/11... most of it from non-USA folk.

The simple truth is, the continental U.S. air space is NOT heavily defended in the traditional sense. The image of fighters scrambling like mad from hundreds of alert facilities is a holdover from the 1950's, in the days when the nuclear armed manned bomber was the ONLY true threat to the CONUS. With the advent of the ICBM, the need for large amounts of manned fighter assets sitting alert simply disappeared.

Who is going to attack us with conventional combat aircraft? Mexico? Canada? If the USSR/Russia attempted it, the U.S. response would be nuclear from submarines and land-based ICBM's.

There were a handful of fighter alert barns scattered about, mostly near Cuba, Alaska, and the Northeast, but not nearly so many as people think. That's probably changed since then.

And the biggest factor, as mentioned already, was the massive confusion and the style of the attack.

Comment

Were you on call that day Chogy ?

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                Were you on call that day Chogy ?
                I can't answer for Chogy, but I know where I started that day (1st Floor, E-Ring, River Entrance, the Pentagon), and where I finished it (under a bunch of granite at Site R). What Chogy has said is correct about our home defense capabilities against a foreign air force. We're just itching to take on those Mexican fighter jocks in their F-5s.

Comment

Working...
                X