No announcement yet.

Talk Of Strike On Syria Moves From 'Will It Happen?' To When

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be no consensus on who the bad guys are in Syria anymore. Half the people will point to hezbollah and Iran being on Assad's side while the other half will point to the presence Al Qaeda and assorted jihadi groups among the rebels. But there appears to be a consensus being created in the US govt. that someone needs to get bombed. Maybe the best way is to bomb both sides equally. :whome:

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      Kerry is a consummate who... err,politician.So I'll believe his anger a bit later.

Compelling evidence means we can all see it.It also means it's above any doubt.I'll believe it when I'll see it.
      Mihais,
      John Kerry also mentioned that evidences will be presented to public within next few days. What ever they might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        I am in doubts what will happen.

Obama proved "flexible" over his red lines and his rhetoric is just that. OTOH, he faces pressure from hawks at home and within allies.
        Dok,
        Not really. majority of Parliamentarian democrats and members of administration from his own political party are pushing for preemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
          Mihais,
          John Kerry also mentioned that evidences will be presented to public within next few days. What ever they might be.
          Powell 2?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Politically, Obama is virtually forced to respond. With the Egypt fiasco and now a major chem attack in Syria despite his 'red-line' warning, his ME credibility is plunging dramatically. Western forces will indeed strike the Assad regime. The tricky part here is to do so in a manner that sends a strong message, yet does not tip the Syrian civil war stalemate in favor of AQ and other Islamist forces.
            sigpic

Comment

From what I understand, Israel has SigInt intercepts of Syrian military communications regarding the chemical attack and forwarded these to the US intelligence community.
              sigpic

Comment

The Russians seem to believe that one of the rebel groups were behind the attack?

Perhaps just wishful thinking? Russia will be in a very difficult situation if it is proven that the Assad regime did this.

Comment

On the other hand, the US and NATO could just keep out of it.
                  If Cameron and Obama go in there, it will end in tears. Not their tears though. The troops, as always, bear the brunt (and the scars) of intervention by the warmongering west.
                  It is not our battle and we have already seen far too many servicemen and women return home in a crate.
                  How about redirecting our attention to matters closer to home that need to be dealt with?

Comment

Any "proof" will be mocked as fabricated by any nation or entity with an interest in supporting the regime. It's a pointless political exercise, IMO.

Obama mishandled this very badly with his juvenile "red line" comment. It's like playing poker with your cards visible to all.

I am NOT in favor of expending hardware in Syria, God forbid any boots on the ground. Why is it always the USA and GB doing this sort of thing? If the whole world condemns the regime, then let the whole world take care of it.

France is apparently ready to join in on the dog pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                      Any "proof" will be mocked as fabricated by any nation or entity with an interest in supporting the regime. It's a pointless political exercise, IMO.
                      There's a guy out at my work that scoffs at the idea that it was al-Assad's government that used chemical weapons, because they had no reason to. I had to bite my tongue off from asking "OK...since you were there, then who did use chemical weapons?"

Obama mishandled this very badly with his juvenile "red line" comment. It's like playing poker with your cards visible to all.
                      And people loved to mock GW Bush as a "cowboy" for saying the U.S. wanted Bin Laden "dead or alive"

I am NOT in favor of expending hardware in Syria, God forbid any boots on the ground. Why is it always the USA and GB doing this sort of thing? If the whole world condemns the regime, then let the whole world take care of it.

France is apparently ready to join in on the dog pile.
                      I am also in favor of sitting this one out. Although I find it amusing that Obama will likely initiate a major military action. I wonder if he'll let the French take the lead again.

Speaking of which, I'd love to know why France is so ready to go to guns on this. Naturally the conspiracy theorists already have the answer: "Syria was once a French colony and they want it back"
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Why is it always the USA and GB doing this sort of thing? If the whole world condemns the regime, then let the whole world take care of it.
                        I agree. Let the Turks and/or Saudi Arabians 'intervene' if they care so much about Syria's people (of if they have the guts to just come out clean and try and submit Syria into a client state for themselves). Its not the business of France, Britain or the US to get involved. Assaulting Syria is fighting the jihadists war for them. They're not going to go away and the rebels have used chemical weapons themselves in the past (Syrian rebels used Sarin nerve gas, not Assad's regime: U.N. official - Washington Times)

Nobody buys into this humanitarian intervention BS anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          There's a guy out at my work that scoffs at the idea that it was al-Assad's government that used chemical weapons, because they had no reason to. I had to bite my tongue off from asking "OK...since you were there, then who did use chemical weapons?"
                          Since he wasn't there, he can't use deduction? IDK why, but recently CIA is releasing documents that say "hey we blew it". That's on top of Kosovo and Iraq intel.

And people loved to mock GW Bush as a "cowboy" for saying the U.S. wanted Bin Laden "dead or alive"
                          In that biz, which one is better? Cowboy or juvenile? :insane:

I am also in favor of sitting this one out. Although I find it amusing that Obama will likely initiate a major military action. I wonder if he'll let the French take the lead again.
                          Why wouldn't he? He was reluctant on this one since the start. Let the Arabs blame the French, it did well last time. Or did it?

Speaking of which, I'd love to know why France is so ready to go to guns on this. Naturally the conspiracy theorists already have the answer: "Syria was once a French colony and they want it back"
                          OK, how about Holland wants some hawkish votes?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Since he wasn't there, he can't use deduction? IDK why, but recently CIA is releasing documents that say "hey we blew it". That's on top of Kosovo and Iraq intel.
                            Deduction is all well and good but what is he basing that deduction on? It sounded more like a knee-jerk reaction than a reasoned conclusion.

In that biz, which one is better? Cowboy or juvenile?
                            Neither, IMO. I just found it amusing that their Blessed Obama made the same "black-and-white" mistake.

Why wouldn't he? He was reluctant on this one since the start. Let the Arabs blame the French, it did well last time. Or did it?
                            The Arabs - and the Russians - are going to blame the West, and that usually focuses on the United States.
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Deduction is all well and good but what is he basing that deduction on? It sounded more like a knee-jerk reaction than a reasoned conclusion.
                              It's all based on cost/benefit and the big assumption that Assad is not mad. Or not THAT mad. Dictators and sanity... go figure.

Neither, IMO. I just found it amusing that their Blessed Obama made the same "black-and-white" mistake.
                              Presidents come and go, the idiots stay.

The Arabs - and the Russians - are going to blame the West, and that usually focuses on the United States.
                              US spent a lot of time and efforts to be seen as leaders of the free world aka The West. And to put it in dale's words (IIRC), it's so easy to blame USA.

Comment

This is fog of war at its finest. Nobody knows what the hell is going on. A quagmire for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X