Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Z,

The US military law system is recognized by the federal courts as fully certified.

Every JAG I have known passed the federal BAR...lived next door to a JAG couple a few years back and have a current neighbor.

A little info on the military legal system for those "who can handle the truth!"

http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/135/MJFACTSHTS[1].html
    OK, thanks for the info. I knew the courts were fully certified, but I don't know what level they are and at what level a case on appeal enters the federal system. I assume appellate, but did not want to say without knowing for sure.

Do you know if military lawyers are required to pass the federal and military bar exam?

Also the sentence has been handed down- DEATH.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Also the sentence has been handed down- DEATH.
      How fast will the justice be? IMHO, slow justice is not justice at all.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Z,

I am not sure but I will try to remember to ask.

I know that an officer has to have past the bar prior to going to the JAG school in Charlottesville, VA where they have to pass the military bar. But not sure if that is state or federal.

Doktor,

It will be some time...there is a line ahead of him. There are mandatory appeals IAW the UCMJ. Part of the length alos depends on how many obstacles he throws in the path.

He probably wants to do it sooner than later so he can finish his jihad. I'd say keep him alive for years and deny him his wished. Make the bastard suffer.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

It will be some time...there is a line ahead of him.
          Don't think its first in first out....

There are mandatory appeals IAW the UCMJ.
          At least 1 automatic review by the next highest court, then the process of defense driven challenges based on what was preserved for appeal and any other actionable information.

Part of the length alos depends on how many obstacles he throws in the path.
          Did not seem like he did much to preserve any thing. His competency is the only real issue. Since the presumption is that people want to live, his readiness to die is an issue. It will have to be litigated, is wanting to die a martyr a rational objective for a sane person and thus his defense approach during trial was sound? Or is/was he suicidal during the trial in which case he is/was mentally ill, and perhaps not competent to command let alone assist in his own defense.

He probably wants to do it sooner than later so he can finish his jihad. I'd say keep him alive for years and deny him his wished. Make the bastard suffer.
          I'd commute his sentence to life and pack him off to the deepest darkest cell I could find.

Comment

The judge disagreed with you when the sentence was announced. Tho I like the way you think ;)
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I know that an officer has to have past the bar prior to going to the JAG school in Charlottesville, VA where they have to pass the military bar. But not sure if that is state or federal.
              It's federal. My earlier comment regarding using JAGs "only if you want to lose" wasn't just a shot across the bow. Based on my experience, the sort of people you want looking at this material are not at the O-3/O-4 level where you would achieve the desired savings in costs. For the most part, the people at that level just aren't sharp enough or experienced enough to work such at case to termination in the desired fashion. You are talking O-5/O-6 and maybe even O-7 level scrutiny, and gravitas, especially if going before the Supremes is contemplated. Here is the 2013 pay charts, and don't forget to look up the BAH in DC because that's where that sort of horsepower would come from, and I think you'll see it's no real bargain between using JAGs or DoD civilians with far more experience in this sort of thing.

Comment

Since there hasn't been a military execution in over 50 years I bet that is what will happen.

He will die of old age.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  How fast will the justice be? IMHO, slow justice is not justice at all.
                  Dok,

I totally agree with you. It will take around 15 years to put his filthy life to end by execution, he is 34 now and by then he will be 70, ripe to depart on his own anyway. What purpose the verdict is serving here?

Hopefully either they conduct a McVeigh style swift execution (which might ease up the suffering of victims families and friends a little) or arrange a very special death row cell for him.

Comment

Let the games begin

Nidal Hasan's beard shaved off at Fort Leavenworth Prison – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

The beard that delayed the Fort Hood court martial trial for months is gone. Maj. Nidal Hasan, the former Army psychiatrist convicted of 13 murders and dozens of attempted murders, is clean shaven again.

According to an Army statement about Hasan's incarceration at the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, "All inmates must conform to AR 670-1, wear and appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia."

The statement also said, "In keeping with the provisions" of the regulations, "Inmate Hasan has been shaved."

Comment

Working...
                    X