Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China: From fake electronics to fake lions and museums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China: From fake electronics to fake lions and museums.

Wow...this news article really made me roll ...Fake lion and leopards in a Chinese zoo

From fake electronics to fake lions, museums; Chinese counterfeit industry has come a full circle - Economic Times
    From fake electronics to fake lions, museums; Chinese counterfeit industry has come a full circle

China Ahead in the Fake Stakes

So far we thought Chinese fakes were restricted to inanimate objects. Luxury brands and electronics companies had particular reason to lament the damage caused by the influx of inferior and often counterfeit merchandise manufactured by unscrupulous companies in China.

This April, a report by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime said that China was the source of about 67% of counterfeit goods seized globally between 2008 and 2010

Now, it appears that the problem is far more widespread and brazen than ever suspected. The news of a Chinese zoo passing off a Tibetan mastiff (....this would have saddened the Dalai Lama ) as a lion even allowing for the fact that some local official with fake qualifications may have been misled by the canine's ferocious visage confirms that China has added a new dimension to the word copycat. However, the fake lion was not the only egregious substitution there was a fox in the leopard enclosure and another dog in the wolf pen.

Coming hard on the heels of the closure of a Chinese museum this July after nearly all its 40,000 antiquities were found to be knock-offs, it seems that from bogus banks and fake fashion goods to spurious eggs and counterfeit condoms, Chinese ingenuity knows no bounds. Besides paper, gunpowder and tea, it must now be investigated whether the first fakes were also invented in China.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

I was listening to this on the radio this afternoon and it made me rofl.

Apparently, the people thought nothing of it until the "lion" started barking..... :slap:

Comment

Here's the barking lion (not related to the barking deer)...

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

I think its nice to see Haydn Haitana working again.

The scam involved a syndicate said to be headed by former bloodstock agent John Gillespie, which purchased a horse that looked almost identical to Fine Cotton and performed better. Unfortunately for the syndicate, this horse was injured and unable to race when the ring-in was due to take place. Having already invested money and gone so far, the syndicate decided to find another horse. With time running out, they purchased a horse called Bold Personality, an open-class horse several grades above Fine Cotton.

The syndicate faced a problem in that the horses were different colours. Fine Cotton was an eight year old brown gelding and had white markings on his hind legs, whereas Bold Personality was a seven year old bay gelding with no markings. To overcome this problem, they applied Clairol hair colouring to Bold Personality with limited success. On race day, having forgotten the peroxide to whiten the legs of Bold Personality, they resorted to crudely applied white paint. These poorly conceived attempts to overcome the discrepancies in appearance between the two horses later served to highlight the amateurish nature of the scheme.....

Suspicious after the huge betting plunge and the seemingly dramatic improvement made by Fine Cotton, racing stewards launched an immediate investigation. As Bold Personality returned to scale, the paint was beginning to run on his leg, something obvious to those nearby. Several members of the crowd began to shout "ring-in". Stewards stopped payment of bets in the race while they spoke to Fine Cotton's trainer, Hayden Haitana.
        Fine Cotton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
          Here's the barking lion (not related to the barking deer)...

They shaved the dog? Ass!

Comment

Wow!

Comment

I worked in the electronic component distribution industry for 7 years. I was a counterfeit microchip "detective".

I could spend pages and pages talking about Chinese counterfeiting and their attitudes toward it. I could also talk about the American greed (and other nationalities, certainly) that largely made it possible.

It could be very exciting to square off against a counterfeiter's best work, knowing that thousands of dollars in profit alone were at stake, not to mention the reputation of my company.

Still and all, it was a dirty dirty industry.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I wonder if there are any fake Chinese...:scared:
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I used to have a tiger.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                    I used to have a tiger.
                    [ATTACH]33631[/ATTACH]
                    Is that a Golden?
                    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      I wonder if there are any fake Chinese...:scared:
                      The saying goes that the Chinese will counterfeit anything...stand still long enough and they'll counterfeit you.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        I think its nice to see Haydn Haitana working again.
                        look at the expression on that dog, I reckon John Hopoate has been at him as well...
                        Linkeden:
                        http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                        http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          The saying goes that the Chinese will counterfeit anything...stand still long enough and they'll counterfeit you.
                          I believe it really comes down to a completely different set of cultural values; I don't think the Chinese really think they're doing anything "wrong", they just think they're taking advantage of the "white devil's" greed.

It really is a different way of thinking, I don't think I will ever understand it.
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                            They shaved the dog? Ass!
                            Lol....yeah, they even shaved his whiskers and face so the bum had to be done too..

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                              I believe it really comes down to a completely different set of cultural values; I don't think the Chinese really think they're doing anything "wrong", they just think they're taking advantage of the "white devil's" greed.

It really is a different way of thinking, I don't think I will ever understand it.
                              I love the Chinese people, their food, art and culture.

This Chinese piracy industry is not about their culture, this is Government sponsored policy - to reverse engineer anything that sells and make money or use it for own benifit.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X