Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Stitch,

Since your link on 747 bomber starts with costs... what is the cost of 747 compared to B-52? ;)
    Rough estimates of "militarizing" a standard cargo B747-400F/ERF basically doubles the cost of the 747 to around $500 million each; interestingly, your basic B-52H is a bargain at $84 million per.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
      Rough estimates of "militarizing" a standard cargo B747-400F/ERF basically doubles the cost of the 747 to around $500 million each; interestingly, your basic B-52H is a bargain at $84 million per.
      Those are the numbers I have found, too. Thought there could be a mistake.

So, maybe it is better to "civilize" B-52 instead
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Personally, I like it! :)

Attached Files

Comment

Isn't there a B52 out at Davis-M which has had a single turbofan (ex 747 IIRC) installed in place of one of the inner twin pods?

They ran trials a few years back as part of a general eval.
          Linkeden:
          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's not just $$. Modern fans would increase the range, ceiling, and possibly TO gross weight as well.

The MD-80 has relatively modern engines. Fuel flow in cruise is 3,000 pounds/hour. A new 737-800 burns 2400 lb/hr per engine, and has greater thrust to boot. This is 1980's tech vs 2000's tech.

There is an enormous gap between the current BUFF and a set of modern engines.

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
              Maybe the spares situation has changed, or maybe they're giving more consideration to performance and maintainability these days to make it a worthwhile venture.
              The spares situation is the reason they'll never be reengined, nor AWACS/JSTARS. The C-141s (retired) ran TF33s. The KC-135As (retired) ran TF33s. The remaining KC-135 models (all reengined) ran TF33s. There are literally thousands of TF33 cores available.

Also remember the wings on the B-52 are quite low to the ground, especially for the outboard pylons. I don't think you're going to get a high-bypass modern turbofan on there without putting skid plates on the bottom of it!
              IIRC a CFM56 fits on the inboard engine pylon, but not the outboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post

IIRC a CFM56 fits on the inboard engine pylon, but not the outboard.
                that may well be the engine used on the test mule out at Davis-M
                Linkeden:

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  Most likely; the main wing spar(s) go right through the BOTTOM of the fuselage, not the top, like on the B-52 (which is why the B-52 has a high wing, and not a mid- or low-set wing), so putting a bomb bay on a B747 would most likely be problematic, at the very least. I suppose you could put a forward and a rear bomb bay in a B747, but all that space in the middle of the fuselage would be wasted, unless you put another fuel tank right over the wing.

Good, fairly recent, article here about the B747 "bomber".
                  I was think about a new bomber using 747 or even 777's wing and engine, with the wing set high like B-52, and a new fuselage. It'll be more expensive than a conversion, but more purpose built as a bomber.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33697[/ATTACH]
                    Doesn't look nearly as strange as I thought it would!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33697[/ATTACH]
                      The 4 engine layout doesn't look nearly as strange as I thought it would!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                        The 4 engine layout doesn't look nearly as strange as I thought it would!
                        Sort of grows on you doesn't it?

Comment

Sort of grows on you doesn't it?
                          Me like it, too.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Yes, but how long can they keep "upgrading" these old airframes? I note the apparent success of the P-8 as a replacement for the PC-3. Could they modify a commercial design as a stopgap standoff "heavy" bomber pending final development of any new supersonic manned/unmanned replacement for the B-52 mid this century?
                            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                              Yes, but how long can they keep "upgrading" these old airframes? I note the apparent success of the P-8 as a replacement for the PC-3. Could they modify a commercial design as a stopgap standoff "heavy" bomber pending final development of any new supersonic manned/unmanned replacement for the B-52 mid this century?
                              the problem with modifying a commercial design is not about whether they can find a decent flying airframe, but it revolves around the capacity of that frame to be modified for weapons carriage and release

eg most people look at the P8 and see it as a modified commercial platform, when in actual fact very little of it is commercial, there was a hell of a lot of effort into designing the weapons carriage and release section of the hull -in fact most involved with the prog regard it as a ground up effort

thats why a lot of the proposals to use 747's as missileers etc has failed a proper engineering analysis....
                              Linkeden:

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                                A LONG time. The frames are structurally sound into the 2040's, and the B-52H currently is less maintenance intensive then either the B-1B or B-2A. It performs it's mission well, and it's still a mission that's needed (a non-stealthy heavy bomber may become obsolete in the future), so why not upgrade it.

Comment

Working...
                                X